Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Why Packers passed on Crabtree for Raji
Views18208Comments24
08:05 AM ET 04.26 SHARE PRINT IT MY T&R
General manager Ted Thompson has made some hard decisions in his four seasons atop the Green Bay Packers' football hierarchy (read Brett Favre), but never two in one afternoon as he did Saturday in the National Football League draft. First, he passed up wide receiver Michael Crabtree, possibly the most dynamic player in the draft and someone whom a friend of Thompson's said the Packers "had a love affair with," in order to draft a nose tackle, B.J. Raji, of Boston College. Crabtree, said Thompson, is "a remarkably gifted player" who reminded him "a little bit" of Sterling Sharpe by his dominating presence in the short-to-intermediate zones. When the Packers' 10-minute slot arrived, there were three names that they were seriously considering: Raji, Crabtree and Mississippi tackle Michael Oher. The Packers were extremely high on Oher as the No. 3 tackle, probably ahead of Virginia's Eugene Monroe, and viewed him as an immediate starter at right tackle. Then there was Raji, by far the best defensive tackle in the draft. In a moment of candor, Thompson conceded that it was a scenario he hadn't anticipated. Thompson said Raji and Crabtree had the same grade on the Packers' board. That's probably a matter of semantics, but people with knowledge of the Packers' thinking said Crabtree stood far and away as their pre-eminent player. Then Thompson turned around 90 minutes later and traded away the guts of his remaining draft for outside linebacker Clay Matthews of Southern California. To get Matthews, Thompson traded up for just the second time in his five drafts with the Packers, compared to 13 trade-downs. For New England's first-round pick (No. 26) that was used on Matthews as well as a fifth-round choice (No. 162), the Packers gave up their second-round selection (No. 41) and both of their third-round choices (Nos. 73 and 83). "No, I'm not concerned about the splash," Thompson said, because if he were the Packers would have taken Crabtree. "There were some guys that we were eyeballing, Raji and Clay as an example. We didn't know how to go about doing it."

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Raji a solid building block for Packers' defense 

By Dan Arkush
April 25, 2009

B.J. Raji might not have been the best available athlete when it came time for Packers GM Ted Thompson to make Green Bays first pick.

With eight picks flashing by quickly, Michael Crabtree, the highly regarded receiver out of Texas Tech, appeared to have a better BAA pedigree.

But Raji arguably qualified as the best defensive player available nine picks into the 2009 draft, and with the Packers committing to a new 3-4 defense despite a definite shortage of qualified personnel for such a switch, the Boston College space-eater looks like an excellent alternative to Crabtree, who would have given the Packers an embarrassment of riches at the receiver position.

NT B.J. Raji

Considered the best defender by far at this years Senior Bowl, Raji should fit Dom Capers new defense up front like an extra-large glove.
With hefty Ryan Pickett already on board in the middle of the defense, Raji might see more action initially at defensive end, a position draft evaluators believe he could more than adequately handle. But with Pickett getting up there in years, Raji should still see considerable action at nose tackle in a relief role.

He quickly becomes just as reliable on the Packers new defensive line as Johnny Jolly, who could be looking at some time off due to legal problems stemming from his arrest last summer for possession of codeine, and former first-round pick Justin Harrell, who has been severely limited by back problems his first two seasons.

In addition, Cullen Jenkins, who is currently projected as a starter at one of the end spots, is coming off a serious ankle injury, making Rajis selection that much more palatable.

Raji dodged a red flag when reports of a failed drug test proved false. With Pickett entering his contract year, Raji could be the Packs all-important defensive cornerstone on the nose for a long time to come starting next season.

Look for GM Ted Thompson to continue collecting more defensive building blocks as the draft wears on.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago

In addition, Cullen Jenkins, who is currently projected as a starter at one of the end spots, is coming off a serious ankle injury, making Rajis selection that much more palatable.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Actually, it's the chest injury that is serious. He only needed arthroscopic surgery on his ankle. I looked it up:
http://www.kffl.com/player/7665/NFL 
blank
El3ment12
15 years ago
So do we really have amazing depth at DT now? With Jenkins hurt, and Harrel not proven yet, We kinda don't. We needed Raji. I'm so glad we got him, because after seeing those tapes of him, DAMN! I think he can be a big contributor the first game. 🙂
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
So that thing with Jenkins sucks. I hope he'll be okay.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
I wish both Jenkins and Harrell can come back healthy. Jenkins because we know he is a good player and we need him. Harrell because I would like to see just how good he really is.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
14 years ago

The pick of Raji also earned Thompson rare applause from Packers fans who gathered at a draft party at Lambeau Field.

Theyre getting soft, Thompson quipped.

Attendees roundly booed Thompson after he picked defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round in 2007 and chose wide receiver Jordy Nelson with the first of three second-round selections after trading out of the first round last year.

Just had to post this. I thought it was funny. I like TT's response.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmIq2uA5CLTONg9HWSn_w_.G2bYF?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-gnb&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report 
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
14 years ago
Man, I was nervous right up until I saw BJ on the phone with a smile on his face, pumping his fist. I went to BC and live out here so I have watched nearly every game he has played. Rest assured guys, we got a stud.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Just by watching some youtube videos on him, you can see that he dominates. I love his bull rushes and then he just pushes the lineman off of him and sacks the QB.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
BJ Raji interview pre-draft...

More.... 

Justin Suchoski, Philadelphia, PA
02:47 PM ET
B.J., who impressed you the most at the combine, at any position?
09_combine_raji_bj_40x55
B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
That's a good question. Wow. I would say Everette Brown, because of his explosiveness. I watched some tape on him, and he looked good in person, too. I would say Clay Matthews. He did everything well. Aaron Curry really impressed me too.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"