Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I wonder if I would get chewed out by anyone for saying I think Nick Barnett is overrated....at his current position.

But I do think he would be better in another position.

"AKamp74" wrote:

Not by me.. Above average in pursuit and coverage, but in the box the guy is a liability in getting off blocks.. Not real stout at the point of attack.

In the 4-3 he should have been a WIL to take advantage of his speed and quickness.. I have a hard time projecting him successful in the 3-4.

Not stout enough inside and has little in terms of pass rushing moves..

Shall be interesting where he fits.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
15 years ago

I wonder if I would get chewed out by anyone for saying I think Nick Barnett is overrated....at his current position.

But I do think he would be better in another position.

"pack93z" wrote:

Not by me.. Above average in pursuit and coverage, but in the box the guy is a liability in getting off blocks.. Not real stout at the point of attack.

In the 4-3 he should have been a WIL to take advantage of his speed and quickness.. I have a hard time projecting him successful in the 3-4.

Not stout enough inside and has little in terms of pass rushing moves..

Shall be interesting where he fits.

"AKamp74" wrote:

The bench just might fit him
warhawk
15 years ago

Well, I may become a Ted Thompson hater if we have another 6-10 season. However, love Aaron Rodgers. He's going to be a winner, if Mike McCarthy will stop making Aaron Rodgers play with one hand tied behind his back.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I think your putting a little more on McCarthy than he deserves or may I say not looking at the full body of work here. Mac has been tutoring Arod for three years now so some of what we all saw last year came from that.

It's also McCarthy that is responsible for game planning and putting his QB in the best position possible based on what he will be seeing on the other side of the LOS. I think he did an excellent job there.

Whereas Mac may have gotten a little conservative at the end of games he was working with Arod as a starter for the first year so the amount he could comfortably put on him was a little more questionable than it would have been with a Brett Favre who was not only a veteran starter but they knew each other better.

Could he have been more aggressive? Sure, but it's not just that easy either. Your winning a game in the middle of the 4th quarter and aggressively trying to turn it into a two score advantage. That's great in theory but bad things can happen when you do that as well.

I don't think Mike McCarthy is gun shy by nature and I think we will see him open up a little more this year with Arod having last year under his belt. I will say though that I don't hardly ever see any team get too awful aggressive with the ball and take risks with a mid fourth quarter lead.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
15 years ago
Couple of comments I have.

I said Brandon Jackson should see more carries not start. I think that would be better for Ryan Grant too. McCarthy seems to rely on Grant way to much at times, like he's an Adrian Peterson type of player and that he's not. Grant is capable of being a solid back and Jackson is capable of being a really good No. 2. McCarthy acts like all he has is Grant.

I think Ted was spot on in giving Rodgers a new deal. If he didn't, Green Bay would be sitting with Rodgers, Jennings, Kampman, and Collins as free agents next year. That's a lot for one year. Not to mention a couple of low level starters like Jason Spitz and Johnny Jolly as well.

Thompson gave Rodgers money because he is this teams franchise QB going forward. Whether that ends up being a good thing is, yes an unknown, but that's what it is right now. Like I said before it's not much different in giving the No. 9 pick a lot of money which will be the case. If GB takes Everette Brown, he'll probably make more than Aaron Kampman. Rodgers making a lot of money at the most important position really makes sense.
15 years ago

Just to be sure it doesn't appear that I'm jumping on DHazer, I'm not dead-convinced that Rodgers is some perennial pro-bowler or anything, yet. I do agree that you can't make that kind of determination after a single season, even if it was a very promising season. Where I differ is that I don't have any preconceived bias against the kid - I don't hate him because he's not Favre or because I think he's "Ted Thompson's kid". I don't hate him at all - nor do I love him.

He's got plenty to prove; I'm just willing to allow him to try to prove it.

"pack93z" wrote:

Spot on.. that is the approach all Packer fans should have towards Rodgers at this moment.

But I think Ted was a little trigger happy on the timing of his extension.. I know he was playing the cap game, but wee bit risky.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Wait wait... I agree that that is a completely valid way of looking at Rodgers, but why can't fans "love" him if they so choose? He's a cool customer, he already pulled some crazy plays out of his ass in his first starting season, and he had a great year after putting up with an incredible amount of shit from Packers fans and their kids. Plus, being a fan is supposed to be fun! Do I HAVE to be objective all the time? :)

I don't think the people who want Thompson/Rodgers gone would be happy even if they were gone. They would just wait until the next regime came in and bitch about them in between watching their home recordings of Favre games and reminiscing about "the past". It would be the Ice Bowl generation all over again. Dear lord what a scary thought. More people going to the Packers HOF than the game. Turrible. Just turrible.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
For those that want to bash Ted and Rodgers in ever post go here

fan4ever.com/forum

rumor has it this is the latest topic there

perfect fit for Brett? An OWNER/PLAYER. Kinda like Michael Jordan was. Build a team around him, including the young guy he wants to step up should he find he can't go the whole year. I like Li'l Brett Ratlif of the Jets or someone like Flynn of the Packers. Hand-pick the coach. I would suggest Doug Pederson with a killer WCO.

that is just so efffing ridiculous it makes me ashamed to have even been a part of that forum
Stevetarded
15 years ago

Saying Jackson should be starter over Grant because of his yards per carry would be like saying that Rodgers should be MVP after no picks through a few games.

The more carries you get, the less your average is. Some run plays are set up to be jus 2 - 3 yard pops and of course some are there to break it the distance. It's backs who make the 2 - 3 yard pops into 12 yard plus gains that are special. (i.e. Barry Sanders)

"SlickVision" wrote:

Marion Barber
Brandon Jacobs
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner
Willie Parker
Jamal Lewis
LaDainian Tomlinson
Justin Fargas
Larry Johnson
Thomas Jones
Marshawn Lynch

All of these guys had a lower average than their backups. It isn't that uncommon when you have a guy going in halfway through the game with fresh legs to have a better average.
blank
Dulak
15 years ago
rodgers ... here is my take on rodgers ...

ok he did good for his 1st year starting; ya I miss brett and sad hes gone.

But at least our QB can throw and he's pretty good. Would I rather have some p.o.s. QB that cant throw and throws lots of INT?

Either way our QB is in the top 10 of all QBs atm and somethink much higher. Might as well keep him and develope him; seems like a good guy too.

We have great WRs and decent TEs - put a decent QB to match with them and we got a winning football team ... cough well as long as we got a decent D.
dhazer
15 years ago
1st off how can anyone not say Rodgers isn't over rated? Like i stated before and have seen since people have him being the franchise qb for years to come and he played one season. I see someone brought up how he had so much to prove last year to the fans, while the question i ask now is will he still have that same hunger in him? He has alot of people worshiping him and calling him great so he won over alot of fans so there goes that motivation. Playing out his final year for a contract nope thats gone now also he had the big payday already. So whats left to motivate him, maybe the comeback thing but then again as alot have said on here thats not on him so please advise me to what motivation he has left? I really don't hate Rodgers but i'm sorry i will not hop on the bandwagon yet. I wasn't on Brett's bandwagon right away either i'll admit that after all we had Magik but after a few winning seasons that changed so maybe after a few winning seasons and that feeling of the Packers as a good to great team comes back i might join the bandwagon.

Why isn't anyone bringing up Ted Thompson as over rated?

BTW Trippster i'm doing my interview in a few minutes.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Probably because Ted Thompson isn't a player and the thread title explicitly says "PLAYER". Just a thought.

Re. Aaron Rodgers: He outperformed expectations last year (did anyone predict 32 total TD's, 4,000 yards and top 5 in most QB categories?). He was underrated going into 2008.
How can anyone not say he isn't overrated? Good question. I completely agree with the implied statement.
UserPostedImage