Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Source Link 

faith continues.
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila understood the game.

No, not the one between the hash marks though Green Bay Packers fans might agree that he did pretty well for himself as a defensive lineman during a nine-season run.

Instead, the Packers' all-time sacks leader known to the Titletown faithful as "KGB" understood what it meant to have microphones in front of his face on a daily basis.

Yet while early in his career, Gbaja-Biamila tried to dazzle the media with articulate answers about chasing quarterbacks, once he began discussing his Christian faith, reporters started looking for their quotes elsewhere.

"As soon as I became a Christian, they didn't like talking to me. Because every time I talked, what would I talk about? God," said a smiling Gbaja-Biamila as he spoke to the Life Church congregation Sunday morning in De Pere High School's auditorium.

"But when I had a good game, they had to talk to me. I got three sacks. They got to talk to me today!"

Sunday's sermon at Gbaja-Biamila's home church was a way for the former player to dive into the kind of passionate oratory that earned him a polarizing reputation in the locker room.

To some, he was a judgmental nuisance. To others, he helped plant a seed.

Life Church senior pastor Ryan Kibbe saw firsthand how that dichotomy developed.

A former sports reporter at WBAY, Channel 2, Kibbe said it's the media's job to learn "how to pepper people with the right questions." But when he interviewed Gbaja-Biamila about his faith for a WBAY story shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Kibbe realized Gbaja-Biamila was the rare kind of athlete who always put God first.

On Sunday, the player and the reporter who once conversed inside Lambeau Field were happy to talk shop in a different venue.

For close to an hour, Gbaja-Biamila mixed Bible verses with anecdotes about his triumphs and struggles as a high-profile player. Though he was released from the team last season, he's stayed close to his church to begin a second career that, as he'll gladly tell you, was always fused with his first one.

"I was nervous to get up here today," Gbaja-Biamila said about being the featured speaker. "But then I realized, 'Wait, I've been doing this my whole life!'"

He began his sermon by loosening up the crowd in Lambeau-like fashion, imploring the small gathering to cheer for God from the top of their lungs. His "Where is the love?" theme reflected a call to action that led him to openly preach to teammates some in attendance with their families Sunday and perhaps foolishly, he said, coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson.

"Most of my teammates will tell you, 'Watch out for Kabeer. He's gonna talk about Jesus, try to convert you and everything,'" Gbaja-Biamila said.

I always liked KGB. I used to bump into him all the time at Wal-Mart. He was also a regular at church I attended a few times too. All around nice guy.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

I always liked KGB. I used to bump into him all the time at Wal-Mart. He was also a regular at church I attended a few times too. All around nice guy.

"SlickVision" wrote:

That is pretty amazing.

I, obviously, haven't met him, but he did/does look like a great guy. A great player on the field and a great guy off the field.

I'd like to add a little article aswell, if you won't mind. It's kind of old, but it's along the same lines. Put this in my favorites when I read this.

Source 

Beneath his armor Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is just your average mild-mannered Pro Bowl defensive end
by Eddie Matz

In the dark and drafty basement of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila's Wisconsin home there is a cove, hidden behind two shining wooden doors with golden knobs. Should you enter this cove, you will behold something rarely viewed by mortals, a fantastical array of, yes, DVDs. But no ordinary DVDs are these. Here are Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Here are the Spider-Mans, both of them. And of course, here are all the Supermans. "Any movie about a superhero," says the Packers defensive end, gazing wide-eyed into the cove (some might call it a closet) on a cloudy June afternoon, "and I gotta have it." And while these DVDs look and sound unbelievable on Gbaja-Biamila's home entertainment system, that's not why he's hooked. The real reason this 6'4'', 246-pound man loves superheroes is because his life plays out as if he were one.

Much like Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker and Clark Kent, Gbaja-Biamila is sorely misunderstood. Teased and tormented six days a week by those around him for being different, on the seventh day he dons his green-and-yellow supergarb and wields speed-rushing, QB-sacking superpowers. For three hours every Sunday, Gbaja-Biamila becomes KGB. For three hours every Sunday, all is forgotten. As for the rest of the week, well Gbaja-Biamila is the first to admit he doesn't fit in. "My best friend on the Packers is probably Betsy Mitchell," he says in a lisping singsong that sounds alarmingly like Mike Tyson's, only louder. For those unfamiliar with Green Bay's staff, Mitchell is a psychotherapist who consults for the team. "I talk to her at least once a week." Mostly they chat about the best way for him to deal with the constant teasing he gets from his teammates. "If you saw how they treated Kabeer," says his wife, Eileen, "you wouldn't believe it."

To be fair, the players are only following the lead of Jethro Franklin, Green Bay's former D-line coach. Franklin was at Fresno State when he met Gbaja-Biamila, a prospect from LA's Crenshaw High. "He was a long, gangly, pimple-faced kid," says Franklin, who left the Pack for USC last January. "He could also play ball."

In 2000, Green Bay took Gbaja-Biamila in the fifth round out of San Diego State. As fast as a running back but weighing only slightly more, he was parked on the practice squad until Franklin-who spent the 1989 season with Seattle-made the rookie his project. He taught Gbaja-Biamila how to dip his shoulder and rip through a block, and how to plant his inside foot and accelerate toward the QB. He also treated his protg like that gangly kid he'd met years earlier. It didn't matter that KGB had nine sacks in his first four games the following year, or that he went to the Pro Bowl in 2003. Franklin didn't let up. "As he became more productive, he could have become complacent," Franklin says. "I tried to make sure he didn't." So while KGB's 13.5 sacks were second in the NFC last year, and though he is one of only three players (Simeon Rice and Dwight Freeney are the others) to post double-digit sacks the past three years, his teammates keep piling on too.

He asks too many questions, they say. In practice, in meetings, in locker rooms, Gbaja-Biamila is constantly firing queries, like a war movie machine gun with endless ammo. Little do the other Packers know that this is Gbaja-Biamila's way of battling a wicked case of ADHD (attentiondeficit/hyperactivity disorder) that went undiagnosed until his junior year at San Diego State.

He's cheap, they say. So cheap that when the D-line began having weekly dinners, Gbaja-Biamila (two years into a seven-year, $37M deal) insisted that each player direct-deposit a part of his paycheck into a special meal account. They don't understand that this is how you operate when you're one of seven kids and your Nigerian immigrant dad hasn't worked since learning he had Parkinson's in 1999.

He's out there, they say. It's one thing to secretly worship Michael Jackson, quite another to play VHS footage of yourself dressed in black loafers and white gloves, moon-walking to "Billie Jean" in a college talent show.

Truth is, the only time Gbaja-Biamila isn't mocked by teammates is on Sundays. That's when that white G on his hat turns the 27-year-old father of two into somebody else. Faster than a scrambling QB, more explosive than Wile E. Coyote's Acme cannonball, able to beat tackles with a single step, KGB's signature has become the dip-rip Franklin taught him. "He gains more ground with his first step than anybody I've seen," Franklin says. By his third step, KGB is in position to lower his inside shoulder, turn his inside foot toward the pocket and blow by the blocker.

And like any self-respecting superhero, he saves his best work for the toughest circumstances. On the same December day in 2002, Gbaja-Biamila's mother, Bola, died in a car accident shortly after his first son was born. Less than a week later the 235-pound KGB-15 pounds lighter than usual because of the stress-lined up against Minnesota's Bryant McKinnie, a.k.a. Mt. McKinnie. With 29 seconds left in the fourth quarter, on second and 21 from the Vikings' 23-yard line with the Pack leading 26-22, KGB slipped by the 6'8'', 335-pound McKinnie and got his hands on Daunte Culpeppper. At first the Vikings QB escaped toward the right sideline, but KGB sprang up, chased Culpepper down and jarred the ball loose, preserving the win. And building on his rep.

Much like Freeney of the Colts, Gbaja-Biamila is a player who can turn a pedestrian real-life D into a viable fantasy option. When he's not mugging QBs (50.5 sacks in 42 career starts), he's forcing them into bad decisions, a big reason why the Pack's 45 picks from 2002 to 2003 were the secondmost in the NFC (behind Tampa's 51).

What's scary is that his numbers may improve in 2005. He'll still get double- (or triple-) teamed, but in new D-coordinator Jim Bates' scheme, KGB will line up wider and angled toward the quarterback, essentially giving him a head start. Says Gbaja-Biamila: "That will make it easier to do my job." You know, catching bad guys. Or sacking QBs.

Same difference to a superhero.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (19h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.