doddpower
15 years ago

Ted Thompson is going to have to have a heck of a draft this year.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree. I don't really see how such a great draft will even be possible.

Now, with that being said, if we can bring in a few solid rotational players via free agency then I think we will be ok. That's obviously seeming like a bit "if" at this point though.

Sometimes it just seems like Thompson isn't doing everything he can to improve this team, and I am a Thompson supporter. I'm no coach or GM, but I feel like we have a lack of talent on defense as of right now.

Thompson . . . . prove me wrong.
Dulak
15 years ago

There aren't 66 good players on this team. I don't see the logic in not going for Vonnie Holiday for one example.

It sounds like your approach is let's wait and see as in something will get done. I hope you're right, but based on Thompson's track record nothing won't.

I fully expect the worse right now. I suspect Mark Tauscher will sign with the Minnesota Vikings because they'll offer quite a bit more money. I'm not high on either Clifton or Tauscher, but the alternative is probably Daryn Colledge and Breno.

Colin Cole's replacement will also probably be a rookie and so will Michael Montgomery's assuming isn't brought back. The Packers were built to be a 4-3 team and they'll end up playing several rookies next year on defense due to the move to the 3-4.

Dom Capers is going to have to get everything out of this defense in order for this team to improve.

I still have doubts in the running game's improvement. I like the backs, but not the offensive line.

Ted Thompson is going to have to have a heck of a draft this year.

"porky88" wrote:

I liked your analysis - especailly your final comment "TT is going to have a heck of a draft year" - meaning he's got alot of gaps to fill he better pick em good.

- We have a Oline that is getting old and has various injuries and perhaps need some replacements. Mike McCarthy already has said he doesnt want to switch guys around this coming year like he had to do last year. So that would take healthy guys and depth.

- We have a shrinking Dline due to injuries - FA and a switch to the 3-4 where some of our players may not fit. Pickett jolly and jenkins are nice starters but our depth is pretty lacking once you throw injuries in there. We are looking for big fat guys for the front 3 instead of a variety of 'shapes' as we had last season. Perhaps we can slot in someone like montgomery but he would need to gain some weight etc ...

- We have linebackers that perform so-so IMO and have a missing gap in the ROLB position (can try some players from our current roster but nothing solid atm).
ie we dont know how well barnett's knee is doing; IMO hawk is only so so on the pass coverage (a decent tackler thou), chiller is a nice pass coverage guy ...

my 2 cents
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

It sounds like your approach is let's wait and see as in something will get done. I hope you're right, but based on Thompson's track record nothing won't.

"porky88" wrote:

No, my approach is to let the defensive coaches run some of these guys through some drills, get a handle on where they are at, peg through the depth chart. While on paper I completely agree with the addition of Holiday or Carter, neither are going anywhere soon and with two comparable players available why rush to lock them up.

With the change over in defensive staff, I can see them wanting to do first hand evaluations and then fill out the grocery list of needs on the defensive side. Remember, they get to work these FA out, to it will give them an apple to apple comparison at that point.

Now, where I am a little baffled with Ted and Co. is on the offensive line, I can see absolutely no reason not to be either locking up Tauscher, thus taking a risk that he will be fine or adding a possible starter at either tackle or more likely Guard and shifting Colledge out to his natural position.

Don't get me wrong, I see flaws in Ted's approach this offseason, same ones that I stated the last couple years.. to reliant on young players and not enough veteran mix to stabilize the roster. But I expected it, and I can see logic in waiting on the defensive side now that they missed on the one sure 3-4 young end with upside.

Additionally, when Capers was hired there was much talk about a hybrid or using both fronts.. if we are seriously deficient in personnel to man up the 3-4 full time, I see a smart adaptable coach like Capers using his personnel to its fullest and adjusting the scheme to fit the roster.. that is why you pay a talented coordinator like Capers for..

Minus Moss still on the D staff, I have a ton more confidence in this approach than the static vanilla fronts that Sanders rolled out. But I am ultra concerned with the Oline.

Ted's approval rating is lower now than in the Brett Favre saga.. and that is saying a hell of a lot to the approach and speaks highly of the one collapse of this regime.

Failing to develop players.. period. It will be their undoing.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
Every day that goes by, the angst goes up and the price comes down for those that are still available in free agency. In the meantime, the lists are starting to come out regarding winners and losers in free agency. (Florio just put one up on PFT, even as I type this.) These are my favorite, and while I haven't actually looked, I hope we made the list amongst the "losers".

I happen to derive great pleasure in being right, making me unique. My absolute favorite winner/loser free agency article was posted in the "For Whom the bell tolls" thread yesterday. Of course, that article was from last year, and the "winner" went on to a 4-12 season, after having been prognosticated to make a run at the SuperBowl.

Some might argue, "well, we went 6-10", and I have no real argument with that. Where we part company, however, is that the "winner" got to pay 30 million dollars in bonuses yesterday, including bonuses to players that the consensus seems to be they wish they didn't even have on their roster, but because of the cap hits involved. had to make a business decision to retain them. They have fired and blamed the GM for their cap hell, which is hugely different from what they were saying a year ago. That thread is getting little response, but is an excellent reminder of what can happen when teams start doing what the fans want them to.

We have a GM that makes business decisions all the time when it comes to free agency. The difference between the Packers and a team like the Browns is that our GM makes them before he acquires a free agent, not after, and if you think that is bad, go back and actually look at those decisions they made...after all, they were the example of the "BIG WINNER" last year...
bozz_2006
15 years ago
+ the 2008 Jets
+ 2008 Jacksonville Jaguars

just wanted to throw a couple more recent cautionary tales into the mix
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Wow if this talk keeps up i'll have to get a bigger train lol. Sorry i had to make a joke, but honestly i am very disappointed in some of you. You need to keep faith in Ted Thompson like most of you were before free agency. I stood by all my convictions and took hell for it and still do in fact one poster actually claimed i find more joy in being right then i do about the Packers winning. The way i look at things might make it look like that but its far from the truth. I'm a diehard Packer fan but i'm also a fan that don't get blinded by things.

So c'mon you Ted Thompson supporters don't jump off his train so fast stick to your guns.

If more people keep jumping i'm going to raise my ticket prices on my train lol. I have said for awhile now that Ted Thompson is going into this season with the players he drafted and he is comfy with that. So have the faith he is right.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
People who support Ted Thompson tend to do it quietly. There is no reason to keep arguing the same crap over and over again.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
I was never a Thompson supporter. I am always a Green Bay Packer supporter. I'm not going to get caught up in the civil war that's going on. I'll say what I see and I always say what I believe is best for the Packers.

Every situation presents itself with a different response so to speak and this year the situation more so than others was to go into free agency and adding help in my opinion. The result has been one free agent and I think two in for visits.

This is more of the same. This philosophy works very well when you need to restock the team, but not when you're quite close.

I agree that the team should see what happens when players report I think as soon as next week. Players will start interacting with the coaches and studying more film, but I also have no doubt that by the time Thompson is done figuring out what he wants to do, guys like Vonnie Holiday and Kevin Carter will be gone. These players can still play and are probably starters in this defense.

I saw today that Mike Wright resigned with New England. Might of been worth a look especially if the Patriots are trying to keep him. That alone tells you he has skill. Nothing happened.

This regime is way to content with what they have and I think it's wishful thinking to believe that this team will improve based just on a switch of schemes.

Thompson could have a very good draft and that would probably boost the team a great deal, but he could blow it too which sets the team back another year or years which would cost him his job and I don't want that. I want the Packers to win.

This team would be a lot better if Thompson signed free agents as well as he drafts players in the second round.
bozz_2006
15 years ago

This team would be a lot better if Thompson signed free agents as well as he drafts players in the second round.

"porky88" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

"porky88" wrote:

Agreed.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.