dfosterf
15 years ago

No thank you. If we are going with youth, go with youth. We already have some veteran players to assume the leadership roles. Right now we are trying to fill gaps that we could've filled with much better and younger players. I say stay with the youth movement if that is the direction Ted Thompson wants to go. Let's play the draft picks and see what Ted Thompson's knowledge with talent has really provided us.

"pack93z" wrote:

While I agree that I would like a younger option for a full time player, but I disagree with the thinking of not adding vets.

The blend has been too light on veteran presence to date, the collapses of last season speak loudly to that.

I also think that Ted will have learned from that, maybe not going out and inking a ton of veterans, but instead slowing the pace of roster turnover and leaving more of the core and depth in tact.

"packer98" wrote:

I am leaning slightly towards Packer98's view. After all, we are in a rebuilding year. (I said this last year and got many, many responses, at least one of which was not an "R" rating)

We got set back a year by the switch to the 3-4 and defensive staff. It's cool. I'm good. Just want to go on record, and advocate youth accordingly (they need the reps) We will be awesome in 2010! Trade that pick back in the 1st.

:cheers:
Pack93z
15 years ago
Oh how strongly I disagree my friend.. too many are lowering the expectations with the move to the 3-4.

While I expect some coverage concept issues and maybe a blown assignment here or there due to the transition, I completely refuse to give this team a pass because of the concept philosophy change in defensive alignment.

In today's game, with all the tools at your disposal to build a team or unit, there should not a single freaking reason to point to this change in structure as a reason not to play solid ball and not have a good blend of player to make the scheme work for us.

We are a young deep team at the core.. with certain positions such as CB where our current window may be closing.. I see no reason not to add a player near the end in moderation and to bring a presence to the team.

How do you develop leaders, have them learn from other leaders ahead of them.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
I am semi-tongue-in-cheek with my "rebuilding year" characterization, only because the term itself seems to liven things up. There will be absolutely no passes issued. Looks to me like the Pack has made their off season "splash", but because it's coaching and not players, it goes largely under appreciated as profound moves go. You have to recognize the pure gamble being employed here...I like Dom and the other acquisitions, but frankly I really believe that the transition could very easily go very south, very fast. I am not saying it will, I'm saying it could. I still don't hear anyone addressing the .2 second differential in average time in the pocket between Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre, or the fact that we have to pass the ball on 3rd and short because we are unable to gain the required yardage on the ground, or for that matter, anywhere near a goal line. You see, I am apprently in the minority when I keep advocating offensive line help in the draft and fix whatever woes exist on d via free agency. We will not/cannot do that, so I return to my rebuilding year comment. I also understand your leadership comment, but an alternative is to just stay young and let them learn by doing, not watching...not saying that's right, but there IS a fine-line decision-wise. There is plenty of leadership on that defense...plenty.
15 years ago
Guy sounds like a locker room leader and a good presence both on and off the field. I don't really see what the disagreement could be with it. He's not going to cost an arm and a leg. 4 sacks last year in spot duty? Pretty sweet. There is a huge difference between making the shift from a bunch of extremely high payed older players to a younger, deeper, talented roster, and bringing in a veteran who can contribute in multiple ways.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Ahhh...

I am the first one on the interior of our offensive line issues.. namely a LG the plays too freaking high and can't pick up the slightest of stunts. Or the C that is long on effort but short on size and girth. The revolving door of shifting pieces from one spot to another freely, but the same coaching staff that tried to sell the moving of Hawk to the middle as a reduction of shift, mind you not being forth right and saying the Hawk was under performing and the move was more to try and wake his sleeping ass up.

I too would like some offensive line help to be added, but apparently they are sold on Cliffy making it another year and that Tauscher will remain loyal to us. I hope they have plans to move Colledge to the outside this year and give him a real shot of growing into a very solid player.

But I will almost be willing to bet that we are targeting a Tackle or two very early in this deep draft. But I agree, a veteran guard to anchor at the left spot would be a very welcomed addition.

We shall see how this all plays out between now and draft day.. is more really more or less?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RainX
15 years ago
I'd say bring him in on a 2 year deal as a rotational player and see if we can't find his eventual full-time replacement in the draft.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago
I say he won't even be mentioned in GB, as i agree with Dfoster for once and that is we are rebuilding. Remember this is only year 5 of the 10-20 year plan Ted Thompson has in store for us.

We will not sign any old guy to a 1-2 year deal because we aren't that close to being an elite team.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

I say he won't even be mentioned in GB, as i agree with Dfoster for once and that is we are rebuilding. Remember this is only year 5 of the 10-20 year plan Ted Thompson has in store for us.

We will not sign any old guy to a 1-2 year deal because we aren't that close to being an elite team.

"dhazer" wrote:

I bet you don't agree with my assessment that Aaron Rodgers is an improved keystone over Brett Favre.
15 years ago
Your sarcasm is getting a little old. Why not just contribute genuine thoughts instead of being sarcastic all the time and trying to piss in GB's cheerios? We have a young franchise QB. We don't have an aging roster with overpaid players. We don't have a terrible cap situation. Silly meaningless phrases like "rebuilding period" don't mean crap. It's been made clear time and time again that Thompson's goal is to improve the franchise's situation one step at a time, with each situation being unique. If they think the team will be in a better situation by signing a veteran like this for 2 years, then they will try to do it without harming the team in the process (by throwing ridiculous money at someone they don't think will truly improve the team as much as the money hit will hurt them).

That all seems like common sense to me.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

I bet you don't agree with my assessment that Aaron Rodgers is an improved keystone over Brett Favre.

"dhazer" wrote:

As i stated in another thread i'm giving Rodgers time because he is not a Franchise qb after 1 year of starting. Do i think we would have been better off with Brett at qb last year and i would have to say yes. But the reasoning has been discussed to death on here so i won't go into it again.

Btw Mass are you talking to me or Dfoster because i just agreed with his rebuilding comment.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (14h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (15h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (18h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (19h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.