dfosterf
15 years ago

I think Thompson needs to hire someone to help him out with bringing people in. Reggie McKenzie just isn't helping him enough.

Even if we don't intend on signing these guys, bring them in to make it appear as if it was US that didn't want them. When no one comes here, it makes it look like no one wants US.

Bring them in, show them around, show them the door. It gives the perception we are worth the time.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Or it gives us a reputation and still no one wants to come here.

But I agree, GB still seems to be quite an unpopular destnation. Why is it like that anyway? Cold Weather? Nearly getting to the SB last year? Fans are too good? Brett Favre saga?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Maybe everyone found out that the renovation of our outdoor practice field is complete. No more indoor Don Hutson center practices for the millionaires. We will be lucky to hang on to the players we got after that hawk hits their ass in December.

The new Green Bay Packer recruiting video is out:

[youtube]EB4PmbfG4bw[/youtube]

j/k
DakotaT
15 years ago

I think Thompson needs to hire someone to help him out with bringing people in. Reggie McKenzie just isn't helping him enough.

Even if we don't intend on signing these guys, bring them in to make it appear as if it was US that didn't want them. When no one comes here, it makes it look like no one wants US.

Bring them in, show them around, show them the door. It gives the perception we are worth the time.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Or it gives us a reputation and still no one wants to come here.

But I agree, GB still seems to be quite an unpopular destnation. Why is it like that anyway? Cold Weather? Nearly getting to the SB last year? Fans are too good? Brett Favre saga?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Maybe everyone found out that the renovation of our outdoor practice field is complete. No more indoor Don Hutson center practices for the millionaires. We will be lucky to hang on to the players we got after that hawk hits their ass in December.

The new Green Bay Packer recruiting video is out:

[youtube]EB4PmbfG4bw[/youtube]

j/k

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Now that's just mean! :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
15 years ago
C'mon now, Step up and admit it if you said Green Bay was going to be further along then they actually are now? You won't do it.

Every year it's the same excuses OVER and OVER and OVER. Overpay, wanted to play within the division, injuries, bad luck, on and on and on.
blank
wils0646
15 years ago

C'mon now, Step up and admit it if you said Green Bay was going to be further along then they actually are now? You won't do it.

Every year it's the same excuses OVER and OVER and OVER. Overpay, wanted to play within the division, injuries, bad luck, on and on and on.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Of course I did. I never thought our 13-3 team would turn into 6-10. Every year? It's convenient you like to leave out the special year.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

I said from the beginning when McCarthy was hired that we'd creep into the playoffs his second year and be a contender his third year. I was vastly wrong on both accounts. His second year we were contenders, his third year we were on the way outside looking in through binoculars.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Were you factoring Rodgers taking over for Favre into that prediction? I know a lot of people were predicting an "off year" once it was clear Rodgers was our starter, but then it was a disappointment when he played so well and we finished 6-10.

Here's to hoping you predicted a Superbowl victory in years 4 and 5... even if they're flip flopped we're still golden.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

Quite the opposite, I freely admit I expected the Packers to be further along than they are, absolutely.

Hence the reason I believe this is a do or terminate year for Mike McCarthy , Ted or both of them combined.

I am disappointed in player development, most noteably along the lines and especially at linebacker. Hell I wish they would have dumped Moss, Campen and Fonteno right along with the rest in the Great 09 purge of assistant coaches.

I see little growth broadly along the offensive line, all these guys had decent potential coming in, none in three years have become absolute NFL starters. meaning, move them to another team the only one that might start a greater share is Spitz.. Colledge, Barbre, Moll.. I doubt any of them start on more teams than not.

Same along the defensive line and the players Ted drafted... very little growth. I won't go into the Linebackers because I will just be pissed the rest of the freaking day..

Now, where does that blame fall? Is it a failure of evaluation of the personnel staff or a failure in the coaching ranks to draw that potential out of these players.

A player like AJ will be very worth while in watching this year.. if he continues to fade then I point it toward scouting and personnel.. if he begins to fully realize his potential, then I will lay more of the blame on the coaching staff and say that the issue lie with the last scheme / coaches.

It is more complex than blaming Ted instantly or Mike McCarthy and crew for that matter..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
15 years ago
There was steady progress in the first 3 years. Then came 2008. So if we have a good year in 2009, does 2008 become the hiccup, or do McCarthy/Thompson go back to one year from being on the verge of termination if things go south in 2010 or 2011 etc.?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I had very high hope when Philly had 4th and 26. :cussing:

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

4th and 26 should have never happened.

When you have 4th and 1 at your opponent's 40 yard line and you have not one, not two, but THREE RBs with a 5.0+ ypc, you run the ball, get a first down, and close out the game.

We had them bloody against the ropes with one eye swollen shut and the other eye blurry, and failed to put them away. That punt should have never happened. That was so stupid.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Quite the opposite, I freely admit I expected the Packers to be further along than they are, absolutely.

Hence the reason I believe this is a do or terminate year for Mike McCarthy , Ted or both of them combined.

I am disappointed in player development, most noteably along the lines and especially at linebacker. Hell I wish they would have dumped Moss, Campen and Fonteno right along with the rest in the Great 09 purge of assistant coaches.

I see little growth broadly along the offensive line, all these guys had decent potential coming in, none in three years have become absolute NFL starters. meaning, move them to another team the only one that might start a greater share is Spitz.. Colledge, Barbre, Moll.. I doubt any of them start on more teams than not.

Same along the defensive line and the players Ted drafted... very little growth. I won't go into the Linebackers because I will just be pissed the rest of the freaking day..

Now, where does that blame fall? Is it a failure of evaluation of the personnel staff or a failure in the coaching ranks to draw that potential out of these players.

A player like AJ will be very worth while in watching this year.. if he continues to fade then I point it toward scouting and personnel.. if he begins to fully realize his potential, then I will lay more of the blame on the coaching staff and say that the issue lie with the last scheme / coaches.

It is more complex than blaming Ted instantly or Mike McCarthy and crew for that matter..

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree that it's a make it or break it year for both Ted Thompson or MM. I'm hoping we make a deep run in the Playoffs and well, actually hoping for a SB win as I do every year. But 6-10 left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Last year, I saw too many games that reminded me of that 4th and 26 game. 4th and 26 should have never happened because we punted on 4th and 1 where we would have run out the clock had we gone for it and ended the game.

We lost too many games by 4 points or less because we got soft once we got into their red zones and took the easy 3 instead of getting the TDs. I put the blame on that squarely on MM, which is weird because I kept saying how I loved MM's aggression in '07. What the **** happened? I'm almost thinking Mike McCarthy died and is replaced by a doppleganger. This isn't the same Mike McCarthy we had in '07.

As for TT, what the **** happened to our lines? Yes, Ted Thompson inherited a team that was over cap with no depth and yes, Ted Thompson fixed it. Thank you Ted. But you've had four years now. 2009 = Year #5. I expect wins, wins, and more wins. Wins/Losses is how you judge success, like it or not, with SB wins the ultimate judge of success. That's why Gruden has hung on so long. He has a SB win on his resume. No one can take that from him.

As for player development, that ultimately falls on MM. Sure, his assistants left plenty to be desired, but when you're running a company, you're responsible for the people under you, like it or not. Mike McCarthy is the HC. He's responsible for his assistants.

Now as negative as this post seems, here's the positive...

I think we're going in the right direction. I'm loving the switch to 3-4. I like a fast D. The NFL game is getting faster and we have to adjust to it. I also like the offseason Coaching changes.

I'm looking forward to a solid season. I fully expect us to win the division and win at least one Playoff game. That said, if we finish the season below 8-8 again, heads will need to roll.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·