Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 3:29:32 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,755
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

An opinion and some comments you don't hear much about Jennings.. While I disagree with the notion that he isn't special, I don't think he is in the Fitzgerald's neighborhood in terms on contract dollars.

People seem to forget that most receivers don't blossom right out of the gate.. Jennings as been money from day one.. and IMO, only getting better. Scratching the surface of what he can do.. IMO.

Interesting read though

Read More...

Quote:
These negotations arent going to be easy, said a person familiar with the situation. [General manager] Ted Thompson really likes Jennings, but he doesn't believe in giving huge money to a wide receiver."

That last sentiment is consistent with what we were told on the day that the Packers hired Thompson. Heres what we wrote in an article from January 2005: Green Bay's new GM puts a high premium on quarterbacks, offensive tackles, defensive linemen and cornerbacks. He puts far less value on receivers, interior offensive linemen and safeties. Nothing that Thompson has done since taking over would contradict that statement. He opened up his wallet to keep Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Kampman and sign free agent Charles Woodson. He has yet to make a sizable investment in a receiver, an interior offensive lineman or a safety. Thats what makes the upcoming negotiations with Jennings - not to mention Nick Collins - so intriguing.


One comment will wrinkle a couple of peoples undies...


Quote:

Is Jennings worth that type of deal? Hes very good, but hes not special, opined a former scout. Defensive coordinators respect but dont fear him. Look, Id love to have him on my team, but I wouldn't be willing to throw my entire salary structure out of whack to make it happen.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 3:50:43 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,689
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I'm guessing Thompson will re-sign Jennings, but look for him to have to work for the money: a sizable chunk of change up front with a lot of incentives. I doubt Thompson will want to commit a fortune to a player whose entire career could so easily be ended by one play (Javon Walker, anyone?).
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 3:56:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Posts: 3,900
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 192

Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?

Good find btw Z we have alot of unknowns coming up and to be honest Ted Thompson scares me.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline wils0646  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:02:35 PM(UTC)
wils0646

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 600
Joined: 12/15/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 4

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?


I would be pissed. Jennings is the anti-JWalk with leadership skills and a rapport with AR.

I don't really like you comparing injuries at the QB position and WRs. WRs get injured way more often and have career ending injuries way more often. Think about it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:02:55 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,689
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I thought of that myself, actually. Intuitively, however, I'd guess that if you calculated the mathematical odds of a career-ending injury shortly after signing a big contract for a quarterback versus a wide receiver, they're much lower for the quarterback. (How many quarterbacks do you see playing for 15 years compared to wide receivers?) I would be curious to see numbers backing this up or disproving it, but I wouldn't know how to go about finding them.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:07:13 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.
UserPostedImage
Offline wils0646  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:09:17 PM(UTC)
wils0646

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 600
Joined: 12/15/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 4

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.


True. I wouldn't like it one bit.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline dhazer  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:12:45 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Posts: 3,900
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 192

I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline bozz_2006  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:23:37 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

i don't think anyone's arguing with the statement that it only takes one hit, dhazer.
UserPostedImage
Offline wils0646  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:24:05 PM(UTC)
wils0646

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 600
Joined: 12/15/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 4

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.


Of course all it takes is one hit. WR get hit on their lower extremeties/plus tackled harder much more than QBs do. They also run full speed almost every play.

The reason why Aaron Rodgers got paid so much is because the QB position is hard to fill with a franchise player. The QB position is also much more important than the WR position in terms of team success.

I really don't see how you can say QBs have a higher percentage of career ending injuries. I don't think it to be true and I wish I could find some statistics on it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:25:06 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Posts: 1,094
Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?



Pissed.
blank
Offline porky88  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:25:30 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Posts: 3,040
Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 182
Applause Received: 346

Losing Greg Jennings would be the last straw in my opinion to what has been a very up and down career as GM of the Packers for Ted Thompson.

Personally I think if he doesn't pay Greg Jennings then he needs to go. That simple in my opinion because it would show a stubborn man who refuses to actually make an exception to his golden philosophy of football.

With that said I think he will pay Greg Jennings and I disagree with that scout. Greg Jennings is special because he's just as much of a threat deep at he is short and that's rare in the NFL. I'm sorry, but you don't get that often and I think Thompson knows that. I think Jennings will make slightly more than Lee Evans.
Offline bozz_2006  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:34:13 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

I was planning on saying the same thing as porky. I'm behind ted, but if he lets jennings walk, that might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Sanders got fired because he was too rigid in his football philosophy. I hope Ted can see the lesson in that. And he's smart, so i think he can see that. but, if he doesn't sign jennings, i'll be very very very upset. pissed, you might say.
UserPostedImage
Offline toronto_cheesehead  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:35:42 PM(UTC)
toronto_cheesehead

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Posts: 71
Joined: 12/27/2008(UTC)


I'm fine with Ted Thompson drafting wideouts each year to fill the 2, 3, and 4 spots in the lineup, but number 1 wide receivers are worth their weight in gold. This isn't like investing in a running back who will break down shortly after signing his contract. Top receivers will play in the league well into their 30s, so Jennings is well worth the investment. Our other young wideouts like Jones and Nelson are replaceable parts, but Jennings is top 10 at the position and should be paid accordingly.
blank
Offline warhawk  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 4:38:27 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,448
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 213

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Losing Greg Jennings would be the last straw in my opinion to what has been a very up and down career as GM of the Packers for Ted Thompson.

Personally I think if he doesn't pay Greg Jennings then he needs to go. That simple in my opinion because it would show a stubborn man who refuses to actually make an exception to his golden philosophy of football.

With that said I think he will pay Greg Jennings and I disagree with that scout. Greg Jennings is special because he's just as much of a threat deep at he is short and that's rare in the NFL. I'm sorry, but you don't get that often and I think Thompson knows that. I think Jennings will make slightly more than Lee Evans.


A) Jennings is young and THE biggest threat we have on offense.

B) Ted Thompson cannot afford to let THE biggest threat we have on offense go.

C) Ted Thompson will sign THE biggest threat we have on offense.

He simply cannot afford to take the chance of losing productivity in the best area of the team. Passing offense. Any further backward steps and Ted Thompson will find the backward door.

He, along with Arod, Kampman, Woodson, are guys you sharpen pencils for. Ted Thompson knows his limits and has been proven to be generous with those he wants to keep around.
"The train is leaving the station."
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / wpr

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

11h / Around The NFL / Laser Gunns

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

21-Aug / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

21-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

20-Aug / Random Babble / DakotaT

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

20-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / voiceofreason

19-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.