jdog2
15 years ago
Finally we have a DC. I'm pretty happy.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I'm ecstatic. Great hire.

From what I've read, he is a great teacher. That's not a bad thing, considering the youth we still have.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Apparently there's a player (big name Free Agent) who would like to play in a Dom Capers defense... again? Anyone hear anything about this?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yeah, thing is though RH (the poster of this rumour) has been emphatic that the top choice of Ted Thompson for DC is Chuck Cecil, and that Mike McCarthy wants to interview Keith Butler, and McDerrmott too. He's also portrayed a picture of a somewhat turbulent relationship between Mike McCarthy and TT, with the recent DC search not making things better. Take it with a grain of salt.

That said, there was a report that Jason Taylor is likely to get cut by the Skins. He'll be an UFA if that happened, played for Capers in Miami, and even won the Defensive Player of the Year award under him.

Not sure if Taylor would still be classified as a Free Agent (he's still with a team) but that's the name that immediately came to my mind. Additionally, Taylor had a lot of good things to say about Capers, and how Capers and his staff really helped Taylor learn the 3-4.

What Taylor said about Capers (excerpts):

(On whether he thought he could have won the award in the 4-3) "... I know Coach Saban, Dan Quinn, Travis Jones, Dom Capers and all the guys that have helped me for the last couple of years, I owe them a lot. Theyve helped me out... I probably wouldnt be here if it wasnt for the teachers that Ive had the last couple of years based on the new system that were in to have a guy like Dom Capers come in and teach you the things he knows about it... He (Capers) is a guy that knows what he is doing."

Link 

wils0646
15 years ago
Well, just throw away everything I said about Peppers playing in the 3-4 scheme. Just go out and get the guy. Let's see what the athletic freak can do.

This makes this draft even more exciting coming up. New scheme...we may need new types of players...

I wonder what Kampman thinks about this....
The Pack Will Be Back.
Jacob
15 years ago
Just re-posting this

UserPostedImage

Very excited.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Some more stuff on Capers, from a year ago when he was hired by the Pats:

Most intriguing from a pure Xs and Os standpoint is the potential fusion of ideas between the traditional Belichick 3-4 defense and Capers' pressure-based 3-4 defense. Capers has a well-deserved reputation for generating heat on the quarterback in a variety of ways.

Link 

porky88
15 years ago
I think it's a respectable hire and I think it's safe to say the Packers couldn't let this one get away.

Now I wonder what this does for the off season. If Dom Capers does run the 3-4/4-3 hybrid style defense, Ted Thompson is going to have to spend some money. He can't fill these roles via the draft. The Packers No. 1 priority should be Terrell Suggs in my opinion as he can play DE in the 4-3 or standup and play outside linebacker in the 3-4. Plus he was in pain tonight and he still toughed it out and tallied two sacks.

I'm jumping ahead I know, but it's interesting.

None the less I'm glad this is in the books.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
How about other names that are familiar with Capers?

Like, say, Jason Taylor... Channing Crowder... some other Dolphins players that are Free Agents?

Perhaps some back-up or two from the Pats that are comfortable in a 3-4?

I highly doubt Ted is going to make a big time FA hire, he needs more than 1 player signed in FA if we plan to go 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

I can see Ted going after 3-4 lesser spotlight players, possibly along the D-line to strengthen things up there and offer some quality depth.
porky88
15 years ago
Who is this big name wanting to play for Dom Capers? I read that posted here, but never really saw any confirmation.

I think Ted Thompson has shown he's willing to pay for free agents such as he did with Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson. He's also willing to talk with teams about trades such as he did with Randy Moss and Tony G, but he needs to grow some "stones" and pull the trigger. I'm not saying to go all Dan Snyder, but something needs to be done.

Personally I think Jason Taylor would be a superb addition as he thrived with Capers in the past.

Interesting enough the Packers are in position in this years draft to land a hybrid style player such as Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, or Brian Orakpo. Even B.J. Raji makes sense as he can do everything from a defensive tackle standpoint.

There are some good players out there and now it's time to add them instead of being afraid to pull the trigger. We'll see.
Packnic
15 years ago

I think it's a respectable hire and I think it's safe to say the Packers couldn't let this one get away.

Now I wonder what this does for the off season. If Dom Capers does run the 3-4/4-3 hybrid style defense, Ted Thompson is going to have to spend some money. He can't fill these roles via the draft. The Packers No. 1 priority should be Terrell Suggs in my opinion as he can play DE in the 4-3 or standup and play outside linebacker in the 3-4. Plus he was in pain tonight and he still toughed it out and tallied two sacks.

I'm jumping ahead I know, but it's interesting.

None the less I'm glad this is in the books.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree with the Suggs pick. If we are switching to the 3-4 or want to run some hybrid I think he would be a much cheaper version of Peppers. The talent drop off isn't tremendous and Suggs is more of a traditional linebacker that would solidify the 3-4 and 4-3.

Peppers would be a fantastic signing as well dont get me wrong. I just think the Suggs pick is a value for money and more along the lines of what the Packers do.

Peppers and Suggs would be even better.

3-4

Kampman, Pickett, Jenkins
Suggs, Nick Barnett, Aj Hawk, Peppers.

4-3

Kampman, Picket, Jenkins, Peppers
Suggs, Barnett, Chillar/Hawk.

both of those lineups make me drool. especially with some proven depth behind those guys like Popp and Chillar and the young talent on the Dline.
blank