Cheesey
15 years ago
Yes.......the mental part can be the hardest to overcome.
I think it HAD to have an impact on his play.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I didn't read the chat, but i guess i don't see this as definitive of anything. i know several people who won't admit they're hurting, ever. I hope hawk was hurt. because his play was garbage. it's still wishful thinking, but what i'm saying is that i don't feel like this quote settles the discussion.

"IronMan" wrote:

Agreed.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I third.

My Dad was that way. He's old now, but even in his 40s, he still whipped kids in their 20s. It was funny to see some guy with gray hair whip on some young punk in b-ball, tackle football, and tennis.

I think a lot of top competitors will not make excuses even when they are genuine problems. My former boss's boss once always said "it's my fault," even when you knew 100% it was your fault. Always took the blame. Always. That guy's a multi-millionaire, highly successful, highly motivated, works 50+ hours a week every week and never gets sick.

I kind of see Hawk like that. Kampy's the same way. So is Donald Driver.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
15 years ago
I am just going to say I don't think Hawk will be sad to see Sanders go, or, at least the scheme he was asked to play in anyways.

When the guy was at Ohio St. he spent more time in the opposing teams backfield than any defender I can remember. He was ALWAYS back there running down QB's and RB's.

In the defense we had been playing they wanted him to stay home, read, and make the play at the line of scrimmage rather than attack and raise hell in the backfield which I think is where he is much better and more comfortable.

I just think if they play a defense where he is cut loose and allowed to attack he will flourish and a lot of opinions about him would change.
"The train is leaving the station."
gbpfan
15 years ago
Warhawk I hope what you say is true,Hawk had spurts and then sputtered so maybe mew coach will use his skills.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I am just going to say I don't think Hawk will be sad to see Sanders go, or, at least the scheme he was asked to play in anyways.

When the guy was at Ohio St. he spent more time in the opposing teams backfield than any defender I can remember. He was ALWAYS back there running down QB's and RB's.

In the defense we had been playing they wanted him to stay home, read, and make the play at the line of scrimmage rather than attack and raise hell in the backfield which I think is where he is much better and more comfortable.

I just think if they play a defense where he is cut loose and allowed to attack he will flourish and a lot of opinions about him would change.

"warhawk" wrote:

I hope that is it.. some of the plays I watched in the last 3 weeks of the season.. Hawk had open gaps to shoot the run and just plain sat in the hole and waited.. if a scheme called for that type of play, then the scheme is junk without doubt.

But watching Bishop play within the scheme and Hawk play... it was night and day in the running game.. I just hope it is the scheme. But....
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

I hope that is it.. some of the plays I watched in the last 3 weeks of the season.. Hawk had open gaps to shoot the run and just plain sat in the hole and waited.. if a scheme called for that type of play, then the scheme is junk without doubt.

But watching Bishop play within the scheme and Hawk play... it was night and day in the running game.. I just hope it is the scheme. But....

"warhawk" wrote:

93z, what warhawk is describing is what i was trying (not very successfully) to get at a couple weeks ago when i said that he had to think rather than follow his instinct. there have been so many times where he could've pounced on a guy but in sanders' friggin "gap control" defense, your responsibility was straight in front of you, and following that responsibilty was more important than making the play. the gap control defense works on the assumption that you have to stay home so the cutback doesn't happen, and if the guy isn't in your gap, then you don't attack. problem is, everyone was counting on somebody else to make the play. makes me want to puke just thinking about it now.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

93z, what warhawk is describing is what i was trying (not very successfully) to get at a couple weeks ago when i said that he had to think rather than follow his instinct. there have been so many times where he could've pounced on a guy but in sanders' friggin "gap control" defense, your responsibility was straight in front of you, and following that responsibilty was more important than making the play. the gap control defense works on the assumption that you have to stay home so the cutback doesn't happen, and if the guy isn't in your gap, then you don't attack. problem is, everyone was counting on somebody else to make the play. makes me want to puke just thinking about it now.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Okay, let me explain it another way, boy I wish I had my hands on the premise behind his scheme and how far he extended the lanes of the linebackers.

Most 4-3 Gap defenses are built upon the premise that the Dline controls the gap responsibilities in the run defense, the notion of playing gap as I was taught was the dline attacked different oline gaps to ensure that the offensive lineman didn't get free lanes to block the backers.

In turn, the backers have a primary responsibility to read the play (run/pass) effectively, once it is determined to be a run play, they have specific lanes based on the defensive fronts package. Example, a 22 was where both DT pinched in and attacked the centers gap.. their goal to tie up not only the center but the inside shoulders of the guards.. 2 on 3 mentality, but the DT's job was to get as wide as possible and chip the hell out of the guards. This clogged the middle of the offensive and allowed the middle backer to flow off either guards outside shoulder. On a 22, the DE had one on one matchups and the strong side backer had normally the Tightend to beat.. Strongside safety in this case always had outside responsibility in the running game and was the key to the defense.. he had to be rangy and smart..

Outside backers, primarily the will had the most freedom in the scheme.. ideally he should be able to freely flow in the scheme.. granted, guys get beat, but in the box, you are expected to hold up and within 3 seconds get free from the block..

Gap control as I was taught, was always the line clogging and the backers flowing..

Maybe it was Sanders scheme to have the backers sit and react... instead of flowing.. if that was the case, and not sure how we will ever know for sure the design of the scheme, then it was garbage..

Why I think it wasn't in the scheme, was watching Bishop play verse Hawk play the Wil.. Bishop was playing downhill once he read run in the scheme and attacking the lanes.. Hawk in the same role was sitting back and waiting for the play to come to him.. same position... maybe that is why they didn't play Bishop in the middle, maybe Bishop was playing outside the scheme and that pissed Sanders off.. BTW.. that is part of the reason Bishop got exposed in the passing game.. a little to aggressive in run support then trying to turn around and play man coverage. That is the design flaw in the defense.

In all the footballs camps I attended in the 3 years I hit them hard, I never was asked to play a sit and wait approach as a linebacker.. you had specific lanes that were your primary responsibilities, but you never were taught to wait as a backer unless you had back door responsibility on an edge play.. flow, keep the play ahead of you and protect the edges of the defense.. make the runner go east and west as much as possible and pretend the corners can't tackle.. I learned to play DE and Backers in 3-4, 4-3 and Buddy Ryan's 46 scheme (the rave at the time in youth camps)... never was I taught to wait and not attack once I properly read run..

Maybe, I expect too much plain logic that Sanders wasn't holding the backers from attacking.. but either way.. I am not impressed with the play of the backers in general.. but I could be placing too much blame upon their shoulders.

Want a true opinion.. I think the backers, primarily Hawk as I focused on him, had a heck of a time diagnosing the play properly... I buy more into the coverage scheme that backers were forced to play if the play was pass.. they played almost a strictly man to man coverage, so if you had a hard time diagnosing the play properly, you had to sit back and wait to ensure it wasn't a play action.. if you bit up on the fake, with the man to man responsibility in coverage, you were toast. IMHO, that is where these backers struggled.. and why I place so much of the struggles upon Moss as the position coach.

The backers IMO, struggled in two key areas that stem back to the position coach.. playing effectively with their hands in the box and reading the plays effectively.. there aren't that many teams in the NFL that run a "lights out" play action passing game.. most teams have a tell sign that can be read moments prior to the play on what the play is going to be.. on the field you should be able to see them.. a simple thing like how the oline is setting up, quarterbacks eyes moments before the snap, a backs eyes most of the time will key a running play.. etc...

Again, maybe I am giving Sanders too much credit and maybe it all laid upon his shoulders.. but the rational side in me says it doesn't all fall there.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago
Oh BTW... if we ever wanted to run the Ryan 46... Rouse will be a beast at the Jake position.. with his range and size.. he would have a field day..

Bad thing though, with today's passing game, the 46 days of being a base package are well past.
RaiderPride
15 years ago

Yes.......the mental part can be the hardest to overcome.
I think it HAD to have an impact on his play.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I agree.

Although I have never had a serious sports injury, I once have been injured.

I once fried bacon in the nude. Mentally I was never able to do that again.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"warhawk" wrote:

I am of the belief that Bishop did not get anywhere near the amount of live snaps that Hawk did at MLB and it's hard to analyze or compare the two like for like.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.