PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

If Thompson is guilty of anything it's not going deep enough with the "what if" game and dealing with the scenario of "what if Jenkins goes down and KGB is done?" Now there are other contributing factors such as Harrell not being ready for many games and Jolly not performing at his best either.

The truth is all teams have weak points where if things don't go well in those areas with injuries that team is going to suffer. NO team is so strong and so deep in every segment of the game this won't happen.

IMO our two areas were EXACTLY what happened along the DL and #2 would have been if Arod went down.

To Thompson's credit if a DB or CB got hurt, which they did, that was covered. If a LB went down we were alright. A RB or WR? No big problem. A couple of decent shuffle moves could be made along the OL.

The hammer came down on the nail that happened to seal the coffin holding the cold body of our seasons fate when Jenkins went down and KGB failed to perform.

I look at it this way. It was unfortunate but it can be fixed. Between a new scheme and couple of new faces along the DL I look for way better next year.

"warhawk" wrote:

There are always what ifs. So if they go and get more backup for Jenkins and KGB. they have to take something away from somewhere else.

It is a tough balance trying to get the best depth they can for each position.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Well that's the entire purpose of franchising a player - to limit their offers from other teams. It's kind of silly that players keep getting mad about it.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Yes, but from a player's point of view he'd like good money (what he thinks he is worth) and some long term security.

The Franchise Tag doesn't do either. It offers far less security than a long term contract, and more importantly the Franchise Tag means to signing bonus, which with a player like Corey Williams, is significantly more than the guaranteed salary he'd receive by being franchised.

I don't mind players getting mad with being franchised, they shouldn't just mope and whine about that happening to them. If it happens, and you really want out, do things the right way: tell your agent to seek a trade, so then the agent will try to work a trade between the current team and a new team.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

So if they go and get more backup for Jenkins and KGB. they have to take something away from somewhere else.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Precisely. I've made this point several times. A number of people on this board just don't seem to grasp this concept, however.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
1) The Williams deal, as noted above, he wasn't in the Packers long term plans.. you have a high dollar gent in Jenkins, Kampman, Pickett and Harrell.. we didn't have the budget room for another.. albeit far more effective player than Harrell and arguably Pickett.. so the move at that point made a ton of sense.

The error was not stocking the DT position with enough bodies and depending on undersized DE and Jenkins to fill in multiple roles along the line when effective depth at DE was a question mark as well. Last year, in an effective defensive year, we went into the season with I believe 11 or 12 players along the defensive line.. this season we started with 3 true defensive tackles.. any questions? Remember Harrell and KGB started the season inactive..

Jarrett Bush or another hog molly in the trenches? Should be an easy answer.

Knocking the pick of Brohm as part of the argument is irrelevant.

2) One could question the decision of not picking Merling in the 1st.. but want an honest opinion.. watching a little of that kid play, we got about the same type of player in Thompson in the fourth.

3) The Ryan move has been proven to be a mistake.. without question and is about as bad a gaffe as drafting a punter in the third..

4) Tracy White's impact on the special teams was a mistake, but, and I repeat but he was a one dimensional player.. in the years here he could never break into the defensive rotation.. that is telling... something like a Jarrett Bush.. the decision was to keep a backer with a ton of upside, (Miami I believe was going to plunk the Lanashan) and it came down to Bush or White hitting the street.

They kept Bush for the season because of the injuries at Safety.. it was probably a very difficult decision.. but a long term one over the short.

5) All GM's make mistakes.. the trick is to spread them out and not have them all bunched together.. Ted unfortunately had them fall together this year.. lessons can be learned from them though..

Never bank on a player with a longer injury report than on field statistics.

Never bank on a aging player that relies on speed and coming off leg issues.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago

So if they go and get more backup for Jenkins and KGB. they have to take something away from somewhere else.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Precisely. I've made this point several times. A number of people on this board just don't seem to grasp this concept, however.

This was the point of my post. Look. People here on this forum and even certain sports writers reserve the right to have 20/20 hindsight. Ted Thompson is an idiot because he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN Jenkins was going down and KGB was thru and therefore should have had an acceptable contingency plan.

I don't recall a lot of complaining about the pre-season DL depth chart with Kampman, KGB, Thompson, Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Cole, Harrell, etc, but when two key cogs in the starting lineup went out and nobody stepped up all of a sudden TT's suspect for taking Jordy Nelson vs. a DLineman.

Cute.
"The train is leaving the station."
warhawk
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It will be interesting to see what challenges Ted Thompson faces with whatever the new DC will need personnell wise. It will also be interesting to see if some of these guys that struggled along the DL in the current system might just flourish in another.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Let's get something clear here. Williams was gone no matter what. He was not going to settle for anything less than twice what he was worth. We got something for NOTHING when we made the trade with the Browns.

Even with what happened, I wouldn't have paid him what he's getting now because he is not the player his salary implies he is. He would not have made that much of a difference as some people think he would.

Again, Williams was GONE and we snagged a 2nd rounder for him and then (in my opinion and I feel we need two more years for it to be a 'true' one at that) blew it away on Brohm.

Does anyone remember Williams kneeling down after the Seahawks game and getting emotional as if it he knew it was his last game at Lambeau?

Stop playing the hindsight game and blasting a GM who got something for nothing. Remember this quote? "I wanted out of Green Bay and I'm glad Cleveland called me".

Let's quit the if we had Williams talk because he didn't want to be here, and we were not going to spend the money on him that he wanted. He was not and is not worth the amount he's getting. He produced fairly decent stats because KGB and Kampman took quite a bit of attention and let's not forget having a stout secondary.

I am glad we didn't waste the money on him, but I am not glad we picked up Brohm and we didn't have an insurance plan worth a damn if/when Harrell got injured/flopped.

Sometimes you just don't have the resources to cover every single base. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. We missed on our DL.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Zero - I thought we already agreed on this one. You probably forgot what I said because 'twas the beginning of the season and a long time ago.

Anyways, yes, Williams is gone. That's not what I was pissed at Ted Thompson for.

The thing I was pissed at Ted Thompson for was NOT replacing him and thinking Harrell could step up. I had a VERY strong feeling Harrell was not going to replace Williams in '08. Unfortunately, it turned out I was right.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.