wils0646
15 years ago

Wow I'm so happy, best news I've heard about the packers this past season !!!

"agopackgo4" wrote:

Why is it a good move?

"krazygangsta" wrote:

I'm sure there were a lot of people (like me) who never thought Sanders had the experience/creativity to make good adjustments in games. I also really never thought he schemed very well against good offensive teams.

Our defense was really never that creative, which is needed in today's offensive-minded game.

The whole defense wasn't able to overcome the loss of KGB and Jenkins' pass rushing ability, so it takes some creativity to actually get to the QB. I saw way too few blitzes and way too many unsuccessful blitzes.
The Pack Will Be Back.
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
Very early Monday morning, I can't find anything about Sanders being fired, was this just asnother "hopeful rumor" running around the forums or can someone find something to substantiate the original posting?

IMHO just "Hopeful wishing" on the part of some frustrated Packer fans.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
yooperfan
15 years ago

Very early Monday morning, I can't find anything about Sanders being fired, was this just asnother "hopeful rumor" running around the forums or can someone find something to substantiate the original posting?

IMHO just "Hopeful wishing" on the part of some frustrated Packer fans.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

There is an Article about it on the Green Bay press Gazzette website.
agopackgo4
15 years ago
JS online too
Greg C.
15 years ago
When you take into account the injuries and the players who underachieved for whatever reason, Sanders was accountable for only a small part of the defense's failures. Maybe 20% or something. That's still justification for firing him, but a new coordinator won't come anywhere near to solving the defense's problems. We need more depth and better health.
blank
DanJustDan29
15 years ago
I certainly liked Bob Sanders when our defense was doing well, at the beginning of the year. What I want to know is why did we take a nose dive in performance when it mattered most. Is that something the DC is in charge of or is that something that happened because of who we had on the field?

I would not dare to say I know enough about what Bob Sanders "job" was. I know he was the Defensive Coordinator, but the description of that job changes from team to team. Instead of seeing these coaches leave I would rather our team play better. That is all that worries me. I don't think it will make a huge difference unless we get someone great to the position. I do not see, however, a former head coach taking the position. Especially with all of the vacancies that they are probably gunning for.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
shield4life
15 years ago
This team has amazing players on defense, injury or no injury this teams worst ranking should be mid in the nfl. Injuries is part of the game you've got to see that. Jenkins and Barnett are the only players that are injured which are impacts. Injuries we're not the reason tho, coaching suck the scheme either isn't good or wasn't used good. There was no blitzing, and if there was a blitzing we we're doomed. I actually hoped we never blitzed cause I was scared that they would get huge gains on us.

Great move by firing Sanders, it's the right move for the packers. Now we just need Moss to get hired by the Rams and coaching wise we've made the good decisions up to now. Now I don't know who will hire and I can't tell you it would be a good coord or not since we still don't know who it will be.

Why I don't want Moss as def coord? ... A.J Hawk performance, and the packers always, always, and always get killed by opposing TE's.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
digsthepack
15 years ago
Thankfully!! I had called my buddy in Sheboygan early Sunday to bitch about the fact that Sanders was still on staff....speculating that since his dismissal had not been announced by then, that he would be back. Four hours later he calls me back with the good news.

All I can say is that I want to see passion and aggressiveness in the new scheme.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Pack93z
15 years ago

Fired....

No.

I like to think of it as a career adjustment.

Look. he has been very successful, all coaches that make it to the NFL have what it takes to make it work..

Perhaps his philosophy was just not the right fit for this team, but will be a remarkable philosophy to another team.

This is a good thing, It is a good move, I like it, I like it a lot.

However, I am not going to celebrate. I do not feel right about doing that.

Be well, do well, and good luck coach.

Thanks for the commitment and effort.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

+1... excellent outlook upon the dismissal if the report holds true..

Here is the thing with Sanders.. if he was fired, it was because he couldn't adapt this defense to the talent at hand.. in other words, he couldn't adjust to injuries, roster holes, or just flat players not adhering to the fundamental principles of the defense..

In this league, you either have to mix up the defensive calls within a game or have superior talent that just overmatches the competition.. Sanders doesn't mix it up very often and this year we just didn't have the talent to outplay the offenses... so you have what you have.. over the course of each game, the opposing offenses adjusted to the Packers defense in the later parts of the game and had late game success..

We just failed to adjust to the offenses of the other team both in 07 and 08.. in 2007 we won alot of games in the final possession or two and masked the late game issues on defense..

If we fill the spot with the right gent.. this could be a huge lift to the team.. I just hope that we stay with the physical press coverage as a base pass defense.. blend in a little zone just enough to make the QB have to read the coverage an maybe at times guess a little on the coverage.. instead of knowing it is straight press and have some telltale places to look each snap..

I additionally hope the next DC doesn't try to force the backers to play straight man coverage each freaking passing down.. let them roll into a zone and have less to react to each play.. allowing more of the natural playmaking characteristics shine through..

Good luck Bob.. that is if it is the end of the road in GB.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
I would love for us to take someone out of the Eagles system to come in and be our DC. They have been brought up on Jim Johnson's scheme and could possibly bring that aggressiveness to us.
blank