Pack93z
15 years ago

Note to self.. in the offseason project.. make sure that you include video of the poor linebacking play with regards to the notion that it is all up front.

I watched the line play and backers with utmost focus for the last couple weeks of the season.. I can assure you that the line play wasn't the reason for the poor performance of the backers.. I stake my rep upon that assessment.

"wils0646" wrote:

Well, to be completely honest, the last couple of weeks, Barnett was out and Hawk was out of position.

I just can't see how a whole crew can decline so much in one year. It doesn't make sense to me. It's not like all of them are old or anything.

"pack93z" wrote:

Hawk was regressing last year already.. I remember having a vivid discussion with Trom upon that very subject.. Hawk really didn't play exceptional either last season.. better in the running game but not in the passing game.. Hawk played the best his rookie year.. a telling sign. Barnett was active last season.. this season.. early on.. he wasn't playing very well.

On your point to Hawk out of position.. I never supported that call.. he was playing to tentative outside to ever be considered to man the middle.. it was a poor call.. Bishop is a liability in the passing game but a huge upgrade in the run defense. But back to Hawk in the middle.. he is a third year pro, I would expect him to have issues in pass coverage and maybe blitz packages.. but in run support.. Mike is a fairly easy position to play.. you flow to the ball and through traffic..

Hawk has talent.. that talented isn't being grown IMO, and he is regressing and not using the natural instincts he displayed in college.. he one of the most instinctive backers to come out of OSU.. that is saying something.. many good backers have come from that U. He is regressing and thinking way to much upon the field.. which in the third year of this system. shouldn't be happening..

That is one of my main complaints about Moss as being considered for the DC.. these backers aren't growing.. one of the best talents on the team is regressing.. that speaks loudly.

Hawk is a player... he needs to be freed up and allowed to play the type of ball he is capable of playing.. using those natural instincts at the position.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Pack - It's also Coaching. I've loved watching Barnett play since '03 and at the time, he was my favorite player on the D, even though it was only his rookie year.

Hawk is too talented to look this bad. I'm seriously wondering why the LBs all regressed in one year. Yes, Barnett is injured, but did we make some scheme changes that don't work? What's going on here?

My point I guess is Hawk and Barnett have too much natural talent to look this bad. Something else must be wrong (yes, I know Barnett missed games, but he wasn't looking sharp in the games he played either).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I guess I'll go back to Occam's Razor. I just think the simplest, most logical conclusions are more likely to be accurate.

Hawk and Barnett just somehow "forgetting" how to be linebackers: Makes no sense, so I don't see it.

Injuries: Barnett's is obvious, but I have a hunch (admittedly it's nothing more than that) that Hawk's been more banged up than we've been told. I think he's been hampered by stuff most of the year, and then moving him to the middle made no sense - which leads me to...

Coaching: Possible - I think we saw a lack of creativity and flexibility in a lot of our coaching this year, and Moss could be in that group.

Scheme: This scheme depends on stout D line play, and has since Bates ran it in Miami. It's not like Zach Thomas was shedding offensive guards or anything. This rolls us back around to...

Injuries (pt. II): Losing Jenkins was HUGE, as was KGB's inability to round back into form from his knee problem. We just weren't deep enough on the D line this year to absorb those two injuries, and our D line play suffered horribly. Since the scheme is heavily predicated on the play of the D line, those injuries also affected our LB play.

It's a combo platter, folks. 1. We sustained critical injuries* in crucial areas of our defense, which cascaded along said defense. 2. Our scheme is either not flexible enough to allow for the adjustments necessary to make up for the injuries, or 3. Our coaches don't have enough of a handle on that scheme to make those adjustments.

That explains it well enough for me. The good news is that it's totally fix-able, without having to make wholesale changes to our personnel (on the field; I think changes in the coaching staff are warranted).

*I know, I know - "injuries are no excuse." Gotcha. Except this isn't Madden where you can turn of the salary cap and force trades, and this isn't the preseason, where you can have 80 players on the roster. We lost crucial pieces of our defense to injury this year and didn't have the depth to account for it. That's party on the FO, but it's also just how it goes. The Giants were/are insanely lucky that guys like Tuck were able to answer the bell for them, but I firmly believe it was just that - luck.
blank
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
The DLine has something to do with it, no doubt. But there is a big problem with the backers' pass coverage. Brandon Chillar is our only decent pass coverer. And yes, Desmond Bishop is arguably our best tackling LB, he is pretty good at stopping the run, too. I think Hawk needs to work on his pass coverage, and especially Bishop does. Maybe Chillar can help them out some, because I don't see Chillar being here with us in two years, maybe not even this year.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I guess I'll go back to Occam's Razor. I just think the simplest, most logical conclusions are more likely to be accurate.

Hawk and Barnett just somehow "forgetting" how to be linebackers: Makes no sense, so I don't see it.

Injuries: Barnett's is obvious, but I have a hunch (admittedly it's nothing more than that) that Hawk's been more banged up than we've been told. I think he's been hampered by stuff most of the year, and then moving him to the middle made no sense - which leads me to...

Coaching: Possible - I think we saw a lack of creativity and flexibility in a lot of our coaching this year, and Moss could be in that group.

Scheme: This scheme depends on stout D line play, and has since Bates ran it in Miami. It's not like Zach Thomas was shedding offensive guards or anything. This rolls us back around to...

Injuries (pt. II): Losing Jenkins was HUGE, as was KGB's inability to round back into form from his knee problem. We just weren't deep enough on the D line this year to absorb those two injuries, and our D line play suffered horribly. Since the scheme is heavily predicated on the play of the D line, those injuries also affected our LB play.

It's a combo platter, folks. 1. We sustained critical injuries* in crucial areas of our defense, which cascaded along said defense. 2. Our scheme is either not flexible enough to allow for the adjustments necessary to make up for the injuries, or 3. Our coaches don't have enough of a handle on that scheme to make those adjustments.

That explains it well enough for me. The good news is that it's totally fix-able, without having to make wholesale changes to our personnel (on the field; I think changes in the coaching staff are warranted).

*I know, I know - "injuries are no excuse." Gotcha. Except this isn't Madden where you can turn of the salary cap and force trades, and this isn't the preseason, where you can have 80 players on the roster. We lost crucial pieces of our defense to injury this year and didn't have the depth to account for it. That's party on the FO, but it's also just how it goes. The Giants were/are insanely lucky that guys like Tuck were able to answer the bell for them, but I firmly believe it was just that - luck.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

+1.

I was trying to use Occam's Razor as well. There just has to be a simple explanation why all the LBs regressed the same year. You explained it quite well.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
15 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I think anyone who thinks it's just one cause is fooling themselves. Obviously things tend to be a domino effect in football. The fact is the argument for the linebackers is presented as an argument against Winston Moss for defensive coordinator.

As I've said over and over, Moss doesn't call the defensive plays and he doesn't head up the gameplan. Bob Sanders does. If you want to fix the defense you need better players and an upgrade at coordinator.

Moss provides the upgrade at coordinator in my opinion the same way Michael Singletary was an upgrade over Mike Nolan in San Francisco and he wasn't experienced much either. Same way Mike McCarthy was over Mike Sherman and he wasn't experienced much either.

Obviously better players or play your players at their proper positions is the next step. I don't think anyone can deny the talent this group of backers have. Get them healthy and put the three best on the field at their proper positions and you'll have an upgrade. Importantly upgrade the defensive line. If you don't have defensive lineman, you don't' have a good defense. It's common sense. Football is won and loss in the trenches. Talent wise Green Bay has much better linebackers than the New York Giants, but the Giants have a better defensive line and that makes their backers look better. That's not to say the defensive line is the sole reason and I don't think that to clear that up, but it's apart of the domino effect in my opinion.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I'm a big proponent of Occam's Razor myself, but when applying that time-tested principle, it's important to be able to differentiate between simple answers and simplistic answers. That is where data, sound analysis, and common sense come into play.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

As I've said over and over, Moss doesn't call the defensive plays and he doesn't head up the gameplan. Bob Sanders does. If you want to fix the defense you need better players and an upgrade at coordinator.

"porky88" wrote:

Might want to re-check that.

I've read from reliable sources that Moss was involved in game planning and co-calling the Defense this year.

I highly doubt Moss' title of 'Assistant Head Coach' is just for show. He is the only 'Assistant HC' on our staff. Also, Mike McCarthy has stressed that his intention has been to help prepare Winston Moss for a HC position, so Mike McCarthy having him (Moss) involved in game planning / coordinating would seem like the right thing to do to help a position coach prepare for becoming a HC.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
porky88
15 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Might want to re-check that.

I've read from reliable sources that Moss was involved in game planning and co-calling the Defense this year.

I highly doubt Moss' title of 'Assistant Head Coach' is just for show. He is the only 'Assistant HC' on our staff. Also, Mike McCarthy has stressed that his intention has been to help prepare Winston Moss for a HC position, so Mike McCarthy having him (Moss) involved in game planning / coordinating would seem like the right thing to do to help a position coach prepare for becoming a HC.

"porky88" wrote:

I heard on the radio that it's Bob Sanders's defense and I trust Harry Sydney's insight more so than anyone. He's usually right on. I assume if Moss was highly involved in the game planning and calling plays he wouldn't be a candidate for the defensive coordinator position if Sanders is let go and this is what most seem to think. It's Bob Sanders calling in the plays we know that much just by watching the sidelines.

I'm fairly certain McCarthy lies a lot to the media because Moss was given the title of assistant head coach defense just so he couldn't be swiped away by another team. It's a neat trick to keep a coach you like on your staff because you can't stop someone from leaving your team to go to another when he's getting a promotion.

I'm not saying Moss didn't have any say on the defense and I agree with you that he most certainly did and also probably had say over all 53 players as assistant head coach, but I don't think for a minute that he was calling the main shots. Bob Sanders was.
packer98
15 years ago
Still waiting on the changes. Why is Sanders and Stock still here?????
blank
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (19h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (19h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (22h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (23h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.