MattG04
15 years ago
I will admit that I was not in favor of not having a veteran back up at the start of the season, and I'll admit that I did not think that Rodgers would be 3rd in the league in passing yards at the end of the regular season. That's VERY impressive and I give 100% props to Aaron! That shows all of the hard work and dedication he put into this season and also the preparation he put in while sitting behind Brett for 3 seasons, great job Aaron and keep up the great work!!!!
blank
kobe16
15 years ago
a-rod will be good for some time to come
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Aaron had a great year for a 1st year player, but I can't help feel a bit disappointed.

If I told you way back in TC that Aaron would throw for 4,000 yards, have 28 TDs, like 13 INTs, and complete 63% of his passes, everyone would've been expecting the Packers to get into the playoffs comfortably.

Phil Simms made this point during a game today, that it's so unusual to see a QB have a good season and his team struggle. Yet that happened. Very ... underwhelming to an extent?

Anyways, I'll most remember Aaron for his performance in the 2nd half of the Panthers game. I think at that time we saw the birth of a bona-fide play maker, and a great leader. Aaron basically carried us back into the game and gave us a shot at winning.

At least for me, that half Aaron made me believe he'd be someone more than capable of getting this team a comeback win. I sincerely believe it is a matter of 'when' and not 'if' Aaron can lead us to a comeback victory.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
kobe16
15 years ago
the game versus carolina did show me that aaron could lead his team back after being down the whole game and without much momentum. He is a leader and true playmaker
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

Aaron had a great year for a 1st year player,

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Correction: Aaron had a great year, period.
UserPostedImage
schroeder84
15 years ago

I actually didn't want Thompson to bring in a veteran backup. I didn't want to see Rodgers looking over his shoulder every time he had a bad play. I didn't want to hear the fans chant for the backup every time things didn't go well. Having the two rookies in reserve has worked out awesome for Rodgers, giving him a chance to mature into a seasoned starter and to showcase the depth of his talent.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree with you here (what's new though?). Although there was a bit of a gamble with the worries of injury, and considering that this IS a tough game and people do get injured (particularly if the O line is sucking), I thought going with 2 rookies at backup was a good call for the reasons you mentioned above. If you are going young, just do it. I am really glad that there was no reason to have the rookies play this year, and I hope they have the chance to mature as Rodgers did.

He was really good. One of the few bright spots of the year.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Phil Simms made this point during a game today, that it's so unusual to see a QB have a good season and his team struggle.

It really isn't, though. Let's look at the top QBs in the league this season alone:

Quarterback      Yards  Record  Playoffs
Drew Brees       5,069   8-8      No

Kurt Warner      4,583   9-7      5 seed (NFC)

Jay Cutler       4,210   8-8      No

Aaron Rodgers    4,038   6-10     No

Peyton Manning   4,002  12-4      5 seed (AFC)

Donovan McNabb   3,916   9-6-1    6 seed (NFC)

Philip Rivers    3,802   8-8      4 seed (AFC)

Matt Cassel      3,693  11-5      No

Chad Pennington  3,653  11-5      3 seed (AFC)

David Garrard    3,620   5-11     No

Brett Favre      3,472   9-7      No

Tony Romo        3,448   9-7      No

A quick glance at this table reveals that of the top 12 quarterbacks in passing yardage this season, 7 didn't make the playoffs.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

A quick glance at this table reveals that of the top 12 quarterbacks in passing yardage this season, 7 didn't make the playoffs.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

But Nonstop, I think not making the playoffs and struggling are two different things.

The Packers lost 5 straight. None of the other teams on the list did. Granted while Cassell, Brees, and Cutler didn't make the playoffs, you can't say their teams struggled. Sure Dallas was bad down the stretch, but you could visibly see Romo was injured, and so was one of their biggest weapons in Witten.

Basically even those three QBs who played good gave their teams a chance to get into the playoffs. Which you'd expect, because good QBing is a vital part of NFL success.

While Garrard had over 3500 yards, I don't think you could say he had a good season. He was almost even in TDs and INTS (15-13) and not very efficient.

As for Favre, I don't think this season qualifies as one of his "good seasons" in light of his struggles the past month. Favre is a big play guy, who will throw INTs while going out their and throwing more TDs. That didn't happen this year. Also, despite that the Jets weren't a "horrible team" as they were still in the playoff picture until about 2 minutes left to go vs the Dolphins (when the Ravens won).

It's so unusual to see a QB be so near the top in so many stats like Rodgers, yet be a part of a sub-par team, a 6-10 team for example.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Here are the statistics arranged by playoff seed:

AFC

Seed  Quarterback         Yards   Rank   TDs   Rank
  1   Kerry Collins       2,676    24     12    24

2   Ben Roethlisburger  3,301    14     17    15

3   Chad Pennington     3,653     9     19    12

4   Philip Rivers       3,802     7     32     2

5   Peyton Manning      4,002     5     27     5

6   Joe Flacco          2,971    20     14    20

Mean:                     3,401  13.2     20    13      

NFC

Seed  Quarterback         Yards   Rank   TDs   Rank
  1   Eli Manning         3,238    17     21    10

2   Jake Delhomme       3,288    15     15    17

3   Various             2,957    25     22    11

4   Kurt Warner         4,583     2     30     3

5   Matt Ryan           3,440    13     16    16

6   Donovan McNabb      3,916     6     23     8

Mean:                     3,570  13.5     21    11

Overall Mean:             3,486  13.4   20.5    12

As we can see, on average, the quarterbacks who are currently in the playoffs averaged outside the top 10 in both passing yards and passing TDs.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

It's so unusual to see a QB be so near the top in so many stats like Rodgers, yet be a part of a sub-par team, a 6-10 team for example.

I won't deny you have a valid point. I would raise Brees as a counterexample, but he did toss 17 INTs this year, second in the league. Of course, he balanced that with 34 TDs for a decent 2:1 ratio. (By comparison, Rodgers TD:INT ratio was 28:13, or approximately 2.15.)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.