IronMan
15 years ago

Packers are ranked FIRST in the NFL in total penalty yards. 1st!

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Unfortunately, McCarthy does not think the lack of focus or discipline is a problem. (Yes he actually said that.) "That's just the way we play. " is another gem from McCarthy when asked about the penalties.

"IronMan" wrote:

I've heard him say a number of times that he's ok with the aggressive cover penalties etc. but finds the false start, etc. penalties unacceptable.

Anyway, for a coach to conclude that the problem is focus or discipline is a cop-out, in my opinion. What do you do to address a problem as general as "focus"? Feed the players ginkgo biloba? They all know their jobs.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

A BIG problem this year, IMO, is how long the Frost experiment lasted. Hear me out....

If you are a player on that team, and you see a guy perform horribly every week, with the coaches making excuses for him, would you have ANY reason to fear for your job? If poor play is acceptable for one player, then it is acceptable for everyone.

Had they cut him after a few shitty games, that would have at the very least sent a message to the rest of the team, look, if you don't produce, you are gone. Instead they had too much pride, and Frost hurt the team not only with his play, but bringing down morale as well.

Now again, this is just my opinion; but I strongly believe that EVERYONE should be held to the same standard. And when you start allowing one guy to continually hurt the team every week with no consequences, then it WILL affect the play of others. Players need to have at least a degree of fear for their jobs. And that fear will not be there unless EVERYONE is held accountable.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I don't really get the whole "they always get away with it" deal about our defensive backs. I have seen very few no-calls for PI on us this year. Actually I've seen more of other teams DBs getting away with it on our receivers. I think some guy on sports center must have mentioned our DBs being too aggressive at some point and people ran with it like it was a 100% certainty.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

+1 I was wondering when someone would have the courage to speak up and say this. I don't feel I have the expertise to say it myself, since I am not sure I know the difference between a cornerback and a safety, much less as weak-side linebacker and outside linebacker. heh.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago

Packers are ranked FIRST in the NFL in total penalty yards. 1st!

"IronMan" wrote:

Unfortunately, McCarthy does not think the lack of focus or discipline is a problem. (Yes he actually said that.) "That's just the way we play. " is another gem from McCarthy when asked about the penalties.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I've heard him say a number of times that he's ok with the aggressive cover penalties etc. but finds the false start, etc. penalties unacceptable.

Anyway, for a coach to conclude that the problem is focus or discipline is a cop-out, in my opinion. What do you do to address a problem as general as "focus"? Feed the players ginkgo biloba? They all know their jobs.

"IronMan" wrote:

A BIG problem this year, IMO, is how long the Frost experiment lasted. Hear me out....

If you are a player on that team, and you see a guy perform horribly every week, with the coaches making excuses for him, would you have ANY reason to fear for your job? If poor play is acceptable for one player, then it is acceptable for everyone.

Had they cut him after a few shitty games, that would have at the very least sent a message to the rest of the team, look, if you don't produce, you are gone. Instead they had too much pride, and Frost hurt the team not only with his play, but bringing down morale as well.

Now again, this is just my opinion; but I strongly believe that EVERYONE should be held to the same standard. And when you start allowing one guy to continually hurt the team every week with no consequences, then it WILL affect the play of others. Players need to have at least a degree of fear for their jobs. And that fear will not be there unless EVERYONE is held accountable.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I still have no clue why they got rid of Ryan. Now that I'm thinking about it, the whole Ryan/Frost fiasco really makes me want Stock to hit the road.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Are you saying our special-teams coach's Stock is falling? Ahh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha . . .
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
Stevetarded is right about those offensive penalties. The only thing that irritated me more than the defensive ones were the offensive ones. It started in the first offensive series of our first game. The frustrations mounted to the point that I went on a five thread rant about ZBS...

I really have this sense that our offensive linemen lack the physical tools to "man up" against a too high percentage of the NFL's D-linemen, and I further sense that this could easily be a major contributor to the large number of false start/holding penalties. For about the 100th time this season (est. low, but you get my point), and for about the 100th reason (est. high, but you get my point), I want to wean away from ZBS, mostly because I want some corn-fed linemen that don't have to get an early jump or hold in order to beat the man in front of him. I also blame ZBS for Crosby having that field goal blocked, as our line got "used" yet again.

I am working on a theory that ZBS is the root cause of climate change...stay tuned.
IronMan
15 years ago
I stand corrected! Prior to November 10th, we were averaging 75 penalty yards per game. Since then we have averaged around 45. While we still lead the league, that is a significant improvement.
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

Stevetarded is right about those offensive penalties. The only thing that irritated me more than the defensive ones were the offensive ones. It started in the first offensive series of our first game. The frustrations mounted to the point that I went on a five thread rant about ZBS...

I really have this sense that our offensive linemen lack the physical tools to "man up" against a too high percentage of the NFL's D-linemen, and I further sense that this could easily be a major contributor to the large number of false start/holding penalties. For about the 100th time this season (est. low, but you get my point), and for about the 100th reason (est. high, but you get my point), I want to wean away from ZBS, mostly because I want some corn-fed linemen that don't have to get an early jump or hold in order to beat the man in front of him. I also blame ZBS for Crosby having that field goal blocked, as our line got "used" yet again.

I am working on a theory that ZBS is the root cause of climate change...stay tuned.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I would love to see the ZBS gone. I don't like it but I gave it a couple years. It still is not working correctly in GB.

I still say someplayers just commit penalties. Always will and that is that. I posted earlier, look at the difference in penalties between Earl Dotson, Mark Tauscher, and now Moll. Clifton has also been more prone to penalties that Tauscher every year. It is the same coaches when the switches between Right Tackles took place.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

Are you sure you're not taking McCarthy's words out of context?

I.E. he referenced being fine with penalties when asked about the penalties his CBs take. He's said that numerous times, that he's fine with Al and Charles getting flagged for being flagged, or some other players, like Jarret Bush on ST, getting flagged because they are aggressive.

Which leads me to my next point, anyone thinking the penalties in general aren't a problem are deluding themselves. Most of our penalties haven't been on Al and Charles. You are right IM in being fed up with the penalties this team has had. I can live with some penalties this team gets (like the one on Pat Lee for Pass Interference) because those come with the territory of bump-and-run scheme we play.

What I can't live with is when a player, like Tony Moll, is flagged three times in one game, and for stupid things like False starts.

I think McCarthy implied he won't stand for penalties when he replaced Moll with Colledge.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
brnt247
15 years ago

You'll take the defensive back penalties because they get away with it most of the time. Last year I believe we had the most penalties from our DBacks. The penalties on offense and on every single good return we get are what is frustrating. I don't think it's a coaching problem I think it is more of a desperation by the players problem. They want to win so bad and make big plays so bad that they hold and clip to open up the field.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I don't really get the whole "they always get away with it" deal about our defensive backs. I have seen very few no-calls for PI on us this year. Actually I've seen more of other teams DBs getting away with it on our receivers. I think some guy on sports center must have mentioned our DBs being too aggressive at some point and people ran with it like it was a 100% certainty.

"brnt247" wrote:

No, I don't give a **** what ESPN says. Our Dbacks get away with pushing the receivers regularly way before the ball is ever thrown. PI isn't the only penalty that defensive backs can commit. Holding and contact after 5 yards, which both occur regularly.
blank
obi1
15 years ago

I stand corrected! Prior to November 10th, we were averaging 75 penalty yards per game. Since then we have averaged around 45. While we still lead the league, that is a significant improvement.

"IronMan" wrote:

I find it ironic that when we were committing more penalties, we were winning more!

Statistics... bah, humbug.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.