Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I think the biggest turning point for this team may honestly have been the pressure brought to bear by the outlandishly unrealistic media and fan expectations. Miracles have been demanded of this team all season, and consequently, they've seemed (to me, anyway) to play tight and defensive, rather than loosely to their strengths.

But that might as make about as much sense as Favre's intangibles. 😃
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I hope we put twelve freaking DL on the roster next year after this experience.

"warhawk" wrote:

Clear overreaction. Considering we've had injuries in every facet of the game (with the exception of placekicker), what section of the roster would you advocate going light on to make room for 12 DLmen?
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Ok after reading these few posts i think the turning point will be this Monday night when we beat the Bears and then blow out the Lions and gives us fans some positive feelings going into a very very interesting off season.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

I hope we put twelve freaking DL on the roster next year after this experience.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Clear overreaction. Considering we've had injuries in every facet of the game (with the exception of placekicker), what section of the roster would you advocate going light on to make room for 12 DLmen?

"warhawk" wrote:

It WAS an overreaction to emphasize the point that our DL needs some work not meant to be taken literally.

Just having Jenkins back will be large but the thought here at the beginning of the year was KGB would bring it in obvious passing situations and third downs and we obviously don't have that solved.

It's apparent to me we need an extra "pusher" in the middle when Jenkins is outside and a "speed" guy on the outside when Jenkins is inside. The guy on the inside that can pressure the QB will be the challenge more so than an end. Those are not easy to find.

Jenkins can fill that spot on first and second down but who we going to get to pressure from the middle when we put him outside?

That is the BIGGEST CHALLENGE I see facing this team and if there is an overreaction on the part of the fan base it's going so deep into every player and every position. You put the same pass rush we produced in '07 back in play and see how many games we win.
"The train is leaving the station."
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
D'oh. I seem to struggle discerning sarcasm on this board lately. :magnifyglass:
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Ok after reading these few posts i think the turning point will be this Monday night when we beat the Bears and then blow out the Lions and gives us fans some positive feelings going into a very very interesting off season.

"dhazer" wrote:

Now that I can +1 you on. A nice 2-game run over divisional foes would do a lot to salve some of the team's wounds in the off-season.
blank
hosemeoff
15 years ago

Less and less do I believe in "momentum." I think it's a phenomenon that everyone sees because everyone else sees it. If it exists, it's only because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of the players themselves. It has nothing to do with, say, any known law of physics.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You mean like centrifugal force? A force that the laws of physics tells us is fictitious from an observers point of view, but feels pretty darn real every time you take a turn in a car. Funny that you call momentum a self-fulfilling prophecy, which I feel is a great definition, in the same statement that you question its existence. The power of positive thinking may be a bunch of hooey to an outsider, but ask someone who went to one of the positive thinking self-help brainwash camps and you will see that they very much believe it and typically have stories illustrating it in action.

Of course you can't physically see the big MO in football. The ball won't magically bounce your way, nor will passes seek out their intended target on their own. Momentum is without a doubt in the eye of the beholder, but wouldn't you rather have our guys believing they can win even if it's due to some silly, nonexistent momentum as opposed to going out and doing their jobs and just hoping to come out on top. One of Brett's qualities that elevated him to legend status was that you could see his fire. He felt it, his teammates felt it, coaches felt it, fans felt it, and even the opposing team felt it. Call it what you want (momentum, intangibles, leadership, the infamous IT, etc), but Favre was unique in the fact that his emotions were obvious and he shared them freely. That is what what I was against losing this summer and what I miss now.

I haven't posted a lot lately because the discussions are typically pretty binary. On or off. 1 or zero. Love Favre or hate Favre. Rodgers the scapegoat or Rodgers the blameless. The truth for me is that Rodgers has displayed many qualities that I didn't think he posessed, and at the same time he's fallen short in other qualities that I feared may be absent. QB's do require some growth (although sitting/learning behind a HOFer for 3 years and starting with a team with 5 legit recievers is about as ideal as you could hope for), but they also require confidence. Aaron shows that he is the iceman. He's as cool as cucumber, which is great, but I don't think we've seen the true Aaron yet. All year, I've felt that he's held back his natural emotions or felt the need to contrive emotions he thinks he should exhibit. I hope that in these last two games, all the pressure to win, to replace a legend, to prove his bosses right will be removed and Aaron will be allowed to come into his own, have fun, and take the chances that he wants to take. Interceptions be damned. Keep going for the win. Keep the fire burning in your belly and it becomes contagious.
blank
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Good post hosemeoff... a lot of interesting talking points there. Every staff gives players kind of script to run off from, but when I hear Rodgers go on his own, I am intrigued by the fire I know he has in there. Heck, I know most NFL players have it. It is just the nature of the beast. If any sort of aura of power can eminate from Rodgers, then it will come with time and from winning.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Jacob
15 years ago
back on topic, i honestly think the turning point was either the tenn game, or the vikes game that we lost just by that missed field goal.
Pack93z
15 years ago

I will say that the end of the story for this year came when Cullen Jenkins went down. When that happened our pass rush went out the window along with any hope of being a contender this year.

"warhawk" wrote:

Bingo.. nailed it.

We counted on Jenkins creating pressure from outside early and inside in the later downs.. he was the cushion in case Harrell didn't come through, if KGB couldn't bounce back and reducing the roster count at DT for rotational purposes.

I can expect this out of Thompson this coming season.. never ever rely that much on one single player along the lines for impact at multiple positions.. I think it will be reflected in this coming years roster makeup again.. deeper at DT or multiple players that can slide inside or out.. One player I would have brought in this season to help buffer that loss.. Larry Tripplet..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (10h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (10h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (12h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (13h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (16h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (17h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (22h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (22h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.