dfosterf
15 years ago

WTF kind of Packer fans are you guys? You are suppose to enjoy the live Packer broadcast with friends and alcohol. Dissecting plays is to be done from your DVR much later in the week. :thumbright:

"pack93z" wrote:

I am not much fun to watch a game with.. I will admit that I am a freak and way to intense on gameday.. someplace along the line, when I was wired someone played an awful joke on me and those that try to watch a game with me.

I will tell you this.. I have more fire than I have seen on the defensive side of the Packers team in a few weeks any given Sunday.

I kid you not.. people are addicted to many things in this world.. mine happens to be football.. I lost the ability to play the game years ago.. but on Sundays.. you would be hard pressed to tell.

With the playoffs pretty much out of reach this season.. I will probably enjoy the Packers like I do most other football games... exception the Badgers.. I wouldn't even turn them on much this season.. another defense that just freaking pisses me off. :lol:

"DakotaT" wrote:

I think what you are hinting at is that you are wound a little tight on the whole GBP issue.

During the game, if I decide to stay home and watch it, my wife spends the whole afternoon explaining to my dog that, no, daddy is NOT mad at you, he's a watching a football game.

If I go to the bar and watch it, the bartender puts my game on in front of me and turns the volume up. This is in central Pennsylvania, where most folks are Eagles or Steelers fans. She also takes my cigarettes. My game will be the one that is heard. I have had anger issues with a Cowboys fan in there a couple of years ago, and he has not, nor will he be attending any future football games at this particular bar. If I am drinking (like I would ever not be) everybody seems to agree that the Packers are the greatest team ever to play the game of football. (They kinda remember the anger issue thingy...in my defense I was "winding down" from job issues back then)

The reason I get my game and my volume isn't the anger issue. It is the non-stop politics I pull with the bartender, the nephew of the owner who runs this location, and the politics I play with the owner who runs another location. It is also the non-stop whining by yours truly if any attempt is made to deviate from my watching/listening plan. In other words, I have out-stubborned a very stubborn bartender. The reason that she takes my cigarettes (this is a new development, btw) is because I am incapable of not firing up a cigarette in the midst of the game. The smoking ban is new for this year in Pennsylvania, and I have made every attempt to honor it , but have been proven to be incapable of doing so during the game. It used to be; (bartender) "David!" "Cigarette!" I'd look down, and sure enough, I had one fired up...yet again. So I'd apologize, roll outside, smoke it, etc. I even tried to enlist the help of my bar buddies--nothing works, they are watching a game and don't notice... Finally it was decided (that would be the bartender deciding) that she would control the cigarettes during the games...and that is how it is. (she reminds me of my wife, btw :icon_smile: )

The only good thing about the bar over home is that I control myself pretty much in the bar, plus the dog doesn't have to hide. I think I might be wound a little tight also. :thumbleft:

I have a question. Would we be better off putting Bishop in the middle and moving Hawk back? I know Bishop got roached at a critical juncture, but I'm wondering if his aggression would be beneficial at Mike, plus it's where he "belongs", plus we'd be putting AJ back where he "belongs" (that's another debate, I know).
Pack93z
15 years ago

I have a question. Would we be better off putting Bishop in the middle and moving Hawk back? I know Bishop got roached at a critical juncture, but I'm wondering if his aggression would be beneficial at Mike, plus it's where he "belongs", plus we'd be putting AJ back where he "belongs" (that's another debate, I know).

"dfosterf" wrote:

IMO, yes, then you only have one player playing out of position instead of two. Honestly, flip them back, and try to hide Bishop in coverage a bit, let him drop off into a short to medium zone if you have to.

But this staff is stubborn and will force Hawk to stay inside and remain status quo for the weekend again.. I don't care though.. Bishop showed up in run support, something we have seen little of from the line backing group to date his season.

On the other part.. honestly, last time I watched a Packer game in a bar.. 1992.. it ended badly..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Ooh I get it. So because he played 'well' his rookie year and had an 'off' year his sophomore year, we should be demanding greatness out of him in his third year?

I suppose that makes sense.

Not really, but I'll roll with it. If he doesn't solidify himself as a sold LB in his fourth year, then I'll have some problems.

"pack93z" wrote:

Okay, maybe I am missing something, we are talking about Moss and his ability to coach this group.

Year two, yes I expected more out of Hawk, it didn't happen but I wasn't jumping all over him.. 2nd year blues. Fine.

Third year, I expected growth out of Hawk and Poppinga.. IMO, we haven't seen much growth this year.

So to summarize the thougtht, if Moss is this exceptional coaching prospect that people claim him to be, then someone in this linebacker corp would begin to seperate and step up.

Porky make the point that the line hasn't allowed them to grow, but I wanted to see that group.. so this past Sunday I watched the backers with all intent.. what are they doing.

Poppinga is a disappointment... period.. get him in space and he is a marginal backer.. period.

Hawk.. for a middle linebacker, he should have his nose in run plays and playing 4 to 5 yards deep should be able to recover in passing plays.. he is simply struggling in reading the play and is at least a beat late or later in making a break.. in this league.. that is a lifetime.. a middle backer has less responsibility than either SAM or Wil.. it is a position that allow the backer to play instinctive ball.. and that is not what Hawk is right now.

Back to the point at hand.. Moss hasn't gotten this group to progress.. if anything they are going South.. and I am glad that finally this coach is talking about it.. we are fans that don't want to be fed the garbage that has been spilled at the pressers..

I want to hear them say what is readily seen watching the game.. as I said before.. that renewed a little faith that they aren't blind.. next step is correcting the issue, which to date hasn't been done in my opinion.. this group has to step up their game.

BTW.. Jolly and Pickett didn't get any penetration.. but they were doing their job.. hitting the gap and occupying the oline for a quick spell.. Hawk and IMO Poppinga weren't engaging on the run defense.. instead they got swallowed up and then had to chase the play down from behind.

Again.. that is my issue with Moss as a coach.. this group isn't playing smart attacking ball.. on their heels and late in filling.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

My only problem with what you wrote above is that Hawk isn't a middle LB. He's playing out of position because of injury, so I'm not sure it's fair to assess his play based on the games he's played at that position.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago

My only problem with what you wrote above is that Hawk isn't a middle LB. He's playing out of position because of injury, so I'm not sure it's fair to assess his play based on the games he's played at that position.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I said Hawk wasn't going to succeed in the role before they moved him.. he played the same on his heels action outside..

So it is pretty simple.. move is ass back outside and put Bishop in the middle where he belongs, so he doesn't have to try and stay with a TE or Back on long dragging routes.. otherwise Packnic might bust a nut.. :lol:

Hawk has been playing this same way all season long.. putting him in the middle is just amplifying the effect of his slow reaction and read of the play..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
15 years ago

Again.. that is my issue with Moss as a coach.. this group isn't playing smart attacking ball.. on their heels and late in filling.

"pack93z" wrote:

that's the problem with the whole team this year. linebackers, d-line, o-line, safeties, RB's.... on their heels. thinking too much. thinking has gotten in the way of playing football.
UserPostedImage
minnypacker
15 years ago
If Jauron gets canned, he might move to the top of my want list for DC.

I just can't see the rationale of keeping Sanders. The system is too much about assignments (IMO) and too little about playing.
dfosterf
15 years ago

If Jauron gets canned, he might move to the top of my want list for DC.

I just can't see the rationale of keeping Sanders. The system is too much about assignments (IMO) and too little about playing.

"minnypacker" wrote:

You mean kinda like zone blocking? :thumbleft:

(Hey 93z, this reminds me of when I had to do a book report from an approved list in 7th grade English class. I'd NEVER do mine on any of the books assigned. I'm a notorious and well-practiced "subject-changer". :thumbleft: )
Typical Grade:

Book Report--- A+
Failure to perform assigned task--- F
Net Grade---- C

"A wonderful critique of Clavell's novel. You have assimilated European maritime expertise, Chinese inventiveness, and Japanese culture into a well-reasoned, cogent review. How this has anything to do with the holocaust is beyond me."

I am officially rescinding my call for Sanders and Moss to be fired. I just don't have enough information to assign blame to them. I have "indications" that they should be held to account, but it would appear that not only will there be an entire off-season to refine my perspective, we still have some games to play. I intend to watch our linebackers closely, along with the play of our defensive line, and as seemingly unrelated as it appears to most, will continue to monitor the effect of 3 and outs by our offense, as it is much more germane to this subject than most will ever give notice.
yooperfan
15 years ago
Before joining the Huskers in 2003, Pelini had nine years of NFL experience, one season at a Division I university, and one year in the high school ranks. Pelini broke into the NFL in 1994 as assistant secondary coach for head coach George Seifert and the San Francisco 49ers. Originally hired as a scouting assistant, Pelini was quickly promoted to defensive backs coach in the spring of 1994. Less than a year after his promotion to defensive backs coach, Pelini was coaching in the Super Bowl, helping the 49ers to a 49-26 win over San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Pelini held that position for three years before moving to the Patriots for the 1997 season.

As a member of the Patriots staff, Pelini coached the linebackers under head coach Pete Carroll. Pelini helped the Patriots go 27-21 over a three-year period with the club making the playoffs twice. Pelinis efforts were highlighted with a Pro Bowl appearance by Chris Slade in 1997, the first Patriot linebacker to be named All-Pro since 1989.

After three years with the Patriots, Pelini moved to the Packers, coaching linebackers for three seasons. In three years in Green Bay with head coach Mike Sherman, the Packers posted a 33-15 record and advanced twice to the playoffs. In 2002, the Packer defense ranked fourth in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 188.4 yards per game

As I said before, Pelini is the guy I would like to see hired as D-coordinator.
Someone at that time questioned whether or not a college D-coordinator could be successful jumping to the NFL.
He has coached successfully in the NFL.
I doubt we could get him though as ne is currently head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

(Hey 93z, this reminds me of when I had to do a book report from an approved list in 7th grade English class. I'd NEVER do mine on any of the books assigned. I'm a notorious and well-practiced "subject-changer". :thumbleft: )
Typical Grade:

Book Report--- A+
Failure to perform assigned task--- F
Net Grade---- C

"A wonderful critique of Clavell's novel. You have assimilated European maritime expertise, Chinese inventiveness, and Japanese culture into a well-reasoned, cogent review. How this has anything to do with the holocaust is beyond me."

"dfosterf" wrote:

This made me laugh out loud, so I woke up my wife just to read it to her. Her response:

"This was on a football page??"

Mmm-hmm.

Then she added: "My brother once made up a book for a book report."

"Did he get caught?"

"Nope. He got an A."

--R

P.S. Apparently the censors autocorrect "Mm" too "Mike McCarthy." Weird.
UserPostedImage
minnypacker
15 years ago
Pelini would have zero interest in a DC job over a major NCAAA HC job.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.