Pack93z
15 years ago
The remainder of the PC..

* Tough to see Sanders and group struggle: No one happy with anything going on. Defense didn't perform, but had opportunities on offense and defense, too. "This is just not about one person."

* On moving Charles Woodson back to corner: At safety, had chance to be around ball more. Likes that. Doesn't mean can't bring down to cover on a receiver.

* On Walter beating Williams: Doesn't agree. Williams created two turnovers. "I'm not second-guessing the decision to play Tramon the way we did."

* Schematic changes to improve on third down defensively? "We didn't do a very good job of winning the one-on-ones. ... We made some fundamental mistakes."

* On throwing three straight times to open second half: Thought calls based on what defense were facing were fine. "The first-down call was actually a two-way call. ... The second play was just a base three-way drop. We were very confident in our perimeter vs. their perimeter." Left a bunch of yards on the field. Not as crisp as needed in route-running. Were very confident throwing ball.

* On time QB Matt Schaub had: Play-action is strength. "It's winning that second reaction in pass rush. They had a lot of time, and I'm not just talking about fake and action games."

* Why haven't things been fixed yet? "It's a pretty general statement. ... If it was just one thing that we're doing over and over again, then I would take responsibility ... and it starts with me. We're 5-8. ... It's really the little things." Watching film and talking about pad level, second reaction, leverage. Not doing at a high enough level to win games.

* Been around team where struggled with that all season? Hasn't been all negative. Have played some quality football, but not winning. "We haven't won in a month, and we're not improving." Have to get better in practice, which has been good. Not playing at level need to on Sundays.

* Youth a factor? "There's plenty to go around. You could probably point toward the youth." Lack of experience in situations is a factor. Some of older players trying to do too much. "The coaches and players, we're all pushing, fighting, scratching to get over the hump here."

* On missing Atari Bigby: Think Bigby declared self an impact player in defense at end of last year and playoffs. Been hurt since Week 2. "We miss him," Jenkins, Barnett, "but everyone goes through that." Others must take advantage of opportunities.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago
Little deeper comments to the last set of answers.. the defense is the identity was attacked in this one..

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html 

Expanded McCarthy comments on execution, defense and Sanders
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 8, 2008 1:48 p.m.

Green Bay - Coach Mike McCarthy talked in depth on a few topics. A live blog couldn't properly convey his thoughts, so there they are:

(Where did the defensive gameplan go awry?)

Well, we had plenty of corrections to go around. You could start with the run game defense. There were times where we didn't get to the right gap, our tackling wasn't what it needed to be. The pass defense, the pass rush did not factor and our pass defense was put in tough situations and they (the Texans) won the one-on-one routes, particularly in third downs. If you just want to take the third-down statistics as a whole, it's really the case of one side getting it done and the other side not. We had the one-on-ones on our third downs on offense. We were 3rd and 1-5 seven times if I recall correctly and we were 1 out of 7. I mean, those are favorable down and distances that we expect to win week in and week out that we did not. They converted theirs. Their ability convert third downs and explosive games I thought were the two biggest factors in the game.

(Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders looked like he put some new blitzes in for this game and was aggressive with his playcalling. Considering LB Brandon Chillar -- your best blitzer was out -- was that wise to do? Would you have been more safe playing more Cover 2?)

Uh..I don't even know how to answer that question. I think it's convenient to say we could be in one coverage over the next. It's still about playing the game. When the defense is called, we need to play the defense. It's not difference than on offense. When the run is called or the pass is called, we need to convert that. As long as we're not putting our players in bad angles, overload situations or things they can't win in, that's really I think the key to evaluating your gameplan. I thought Bob tried to be aggressive because of the lack of pass rush. The pass rush coinciding with the pass defense, it all works together and we didn't do a very good job of it.

(You said in the preseason the defense would be the identity of your defense. Obviously that hasn't worked out. Is it a case of overestimating the scheme or overestimating players coming into the season?)

Well I don't think it's either one or the other. I mean the scheme and the players, it all has to fit together. I think we've had a number of obstacles on the defensive side of the ball that we've had to overcome. Injuries play into -- it's not an excuse, I'm not trying to make an excuse. The ability to a) stop the run and b) put pressure on the quarterback, those are the two things you look for from a consistent standpoint in your defense because that's what stops the offense. And when we gameplan, that's what we look at. And we haven't been able to do that consistently at all, frankly, the last three weeks. And that's why we've had large numbers from our opponents put up against us. Now, on the other side of it, our defenders are doing a much better job in our time here of taking the football away and we'll continue to emphasize that. We had a few opportunities in the game that got away from us. We could have been looking at a lot higher takeaway situation than what resulted. But that's why you play the game, we just have to keep working on those things. They're all fundamental, all the corrections are fundamental, they're all things we can fix and that will be our focus as we get ready for Jacksonville.

(Where is your faith in Bob?)

Well, I work with Bob everyday. From a personal side of it he's a tremendous human being, it's very important to him. And professionally, he has a system, a scheme and he's doing the best job he can to put players in a position to be successful. I hate to be redundant here. It all fits together. I have confidence in Bob and we'll continue as we move forward.

(This season you've talked about execution and "we'll get it fixed." I guess people want to know why it hasn't been fixed yet? Is it the players? Is there a disconnect between the coaches and players? Where is the problem?)

Well, that's a pretty general statement and I understand it. We haven't won a game in three weeks. If it was just one thing that we're doing over and over again then I would take full responsiblity for that and it really all starts with me. We're 5-8 and we're not getting it done at critical times and those specific plays are really highlighted. It's really the little things. Going through the film again today. We're talking about pad level, we're talking about beating second reaction, we're talking about leverage and things like that. That's the game of football. You're always coaching it and trying to clean it up week to week and we're not doing it at a high enough level to win games right now. And that's the facts.

(Have you ever been around a team -- you've been in his league a while -- where a team has struggled with those basic things for an entire season?)

Well we've had some really good play during the season so I don't think our whole season has been a bunch of negative plays. I wouldn't agree with that assessment. I would say we've played some really quality football but we're not winning games and I understand as well as anybody and that's what you're judged on. Our philosophy has always been winning and improving. We haven't won in a month and we're not improving so the only way I know to go back at it is working hard and getting it done in practice. They work very hard in practice. They have very quality practices. We're not playing at the level on Sundays that we need to play. So that's our challenge.

(You were able to overcome being the youngest team in the league last year. Is this a byproduct of youth or is this coming from veteran players as well?)

Well, there's plenty to go around. You could probably point more towards the youth. We've had some situations where guys don't have as much experience in certain situations where it's not clean for them. And frankly the number of conversations I've had with some of our younger players last week and the week before, in some of the one-on-ones that I've had, that was one of the topics that came up. That's part of the growth that you have with younger players. Everybody goes through it. Some of the older players, I think, maybe they're trying to do too much. We've talked about that. So there's not a real....The coaches and players, we're all pushing, fighting and scratching to get over the hump here and we'll continue to do so.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago

I think people are underestimating Tauscher's play this year.. has he fallen off.. yes, but dependent on his contract demands.. he is worth resigning.. Cliffy on the other hand looks done.. he plays fairly well on grass where it slows the DE down a little. but on turf.. he simply can't keep up anymore.. that Sapp hit shortened a good deal off his career.

If Tauscher took better care of his body.. he might have a few more high years in him.. but he isn't terrible either like some make it out to be.

Instead of being in the upper half of the starting tackles.. he is now in the middle of that group.... Look to the west a little bit.. Cook is near the bottom.. and Tauscher is light years better at this point.

"pack93z" wrote:

I still haven't seen that cheap shot. I hear alot about it though, so what excactly happened?

Also, doesn't Tauscher look better than Clifton, because the RE is usually faster? I mean, I think they're both wearing down, but if they're going down on speed it shows quicker on the LT spot than on the RT. Also has something to do with upper- and lower-body strength, Cliffy might be declining faster on that part. (Might go down on speed aswell though, Idk, I'm not expert, just throwing it out there)

I do see Sanders gone this off-season aswell. As much as I hate him being gone as a person, his schemes seem to be outdated and inspirationless this last year.
evad04
15 years ago
Do you think there's a problem with us (fans) taking an analytical angle to something we're so passionate about (the Packers)? Because so many times we collectively encounter this, "Why don't they [coaches, GM] see it the way I do! Argh!" And the thing is, our ideas/thoughts/arguments could be completely valid. Alas -- if the coaches/GM DON'T see it the same way as we do ... do they know something we don't know? WHY don't they see it like us? I have to believe that there exists plenty of valid reasons McCarthy/Sanders/Thompson do business the way they ... do business.

Sorry if this seems to be rhetorical mumbo-jumbo. It just came to me. Right now, as disappointing as this season has been, I'm prepared to let things settle before I articulate my complaints. It's not that I don't have them -- and hell, if I did a place like this (a forum full of passionate fans) would be the place to voice them. But again -- right now -- I'm just not prepared to.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Cheesey
15 years ago

Do you think there's a problem with us (fans) taking an analytical angle to something we're so passionate about (the Packers)? Because so many times we collectively encounter this, "Why don't they [coaches, GM] see it the way I do! Argh!" And the thing is, our ideas/thoughts/arguments could be completely valid. Alas -- if the coaches/GM DON'T see it the same way as we do ... do they know something we don't know? WHY don't they see it like us? I have to believe that there exists plenty of valid reasons McCarthy/Sanders/Thompson do business the way they ... do business.

Sorry if this seems to be rhetorical mumbo-jumbo. It just came to me. Right now, as disappointing as this season has been, I'm prepared to let things settle before I articulate my complaints. It's not that I don't have them -- and hell, if I did a place like this (a forum full of passionate fans) would be the place to voice them. But again -- right now -- I'm just not prepared to.

"evad04" wrote:

It could be so Dave.
But i also feel that sometimes the fans are right, but the coaches don't want to make a move like Mike McCarthy letting Sanders go.
Why? I think ego has something to do with it. If they have to cut a coordinator, that means they have to accept the fact that THEY made the wrong move in putting the person in there in the first place.
JMO
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

lip service on Sanders. he's as good as gone.

"Packnic" wrote:

most def. anytime you hear the "hes a good person" line... its almost immediately followed with negatives.

like this girl i want you to meet is a really good person. She has no teeth, 8 kids, a bit of a weight problem and she is missing an eye. But this is important to her and shes a good person.

it sucks because by all accounts Sanders is a good person that everyone likes... but its football and we gotta get better. maybe he can just take a downgrade to his old position coach spot.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I like your comparison with the girl!!! :thumbleft:

Now......I'd rather have a coach thats a real "A-hole" that gets the job done then a nice guy that doesn't.
By most accounts Vince Lombardi could be a real jerk.......but he commanded respect, and in the end the players loved him.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

"evad04" wrote:

We just want the problem to be solved as fast as possible, without looking at future problems.

I mean, firing Sanders and getting a new defensive scheme at this point in the season, would be suicidal.

Also, they know eachother, they know what they have to offer. What if Sanders comes up with brilliant plays, but McCarthy's overruling them. What if Sanders is just having tons of 'bad luck' with the play calling.

Maybe the players have a real liking towards Sanders. He's been around for a while, and you don't want a chaos at this point in the season. And ofcourse, one of the most important things to TT, the money. Maybe he jsut wants to have him play his contract out and look at how he'll perform, hoping it'll take a turn for the better.

Idk, I'm just throwing some random shit out there, some seem like solid reasons to keep him for at least this season though, which is what I think they will do, especially with the season drawing to an end and our chances at going to the play-offs being very slim.
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

most def. anytime you hear the "hes a good person" line... its almost immediately followed with negatives.

like this girl i want you to meet is a really good person. She has no teeth, 8 kids, a bit of a weight problem and she is missing an eye. But this is important to her and shes a good person.

it sucks because by all accounts Sanders is a good person that everyone likes... but its football and we gotta get better. maybe he can just take a downgrade to his old position coach spot.

"Packnic" wrote:

Now......I'd rather have a coach thats a real "A-hole" that gets the job done then a nice guy that doesn't.
By most accounts Vince Lombardi could be a real jerk.......but he commanded respect, and in the end the players loved him.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

everybody loves winning.
UserPostedImage
Packnic
15 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

"Cheesey" wrote:

"Packnic" wrote:

everybody loves winning.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

except Ted Thompson... he just loves Aaron Rodgers and Money.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
because he pockets all that extra money.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (24m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (25m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (45m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.