Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*160/brohm120408.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - Most quarterbacks who had posted a 33.9 passer rating in their first action under center in the NFL would probably prefer the videotape of that game be destroyed.

Not thrown away so that 2 million years from now someone might find it in a landfill.

Destroyed.

The last thing you would expect would be to find the quarterback studying it four months later. On his own. With no one around but a couple of hot tub junkies getting in one last soak before they head home.

Green Bay Packers rookie quarterback Brian Brohm isn't afraid of the past and if there was anything to learn from completing 8 of 17 passes for 70 yards and an interception against the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 11, he was going to find it. Brohm has a lot of things to make up for after his first NFL training camp went awry.

"I feel like I've regained a lot of confidence," Brohm said. "I think (it is) just from taking a step and watching the preseason and thinking about it and coming out and starting to throw the football and not think too much. Just go out and play and not think about all the little things when you're out there."

The second-round draft choice from Louisville was tabbed by many scouts and analysts as the quarterback most ready to play in the NFL right away. His father is a high school coach, his brother played in the NFL and coaches at Louisville, and he started for three seasons in college, leaving as the Big East's all-time leader in passing yards.

Things just didn't go as expected when he arrived at training camp, and Brohm is trying to pick up the pieces while serving as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers and seventh-round pick Matt Flynn.

These days he simulates what the opposition safety might do against Rodgers during the walk-through portion of practice and then splits snaps with Flynn when it's time to simulate the opponent's offense for the Packers' defense. As the No. 2, Flynn gets a few snaps with the No. 1 offense, but the only time Brohm has gotten them was when Rodgers was missing practice because of a shoulder injury.

"It's definitely different, a different perspective," Brohm said. "It's a great opportunity for me to learn and work on fundamentals and get myself better on all these little things I can work on in practice. You start to understand the game even more.

"I'm just trying to use it to the most advantage I can when I go out there."

After he was drafted, Brohm was anointed No. 2 and some even thought he might challenge Rodgers for the starting job. According to coach Mike McCarthy, Brohm absorbed the system as fast as any rookie he had worked with and big things were expected.

But all the knowledge he had didn't translate into good play.

There was the 33.9 against Cincinnati, a 54.4 against San Francisco, a 39.6 against Denver and a 68.8 against Tennessee. By the end of camp, Brohm's confidence was so low that he was aiming the ball and not firing it as he had done at Louisville.

"I think I was trying to do everything the perfect way, and I was probably thinking way too much," Brohm said.

Another factor in his performance might have been a quick weight loss that saw him go from around 230 pounds at his pro day workout in April to around 218 at the start of training camp. Brohm hadn't played at that weight before and it might have contributed to his struggles.

"He tried hard to get to his weight and maybe he lost too much weight too fast," his father, Oscar said. "He's always been a really hard worker and he's always trying to improve himself. It (the weight loss) might have had an adverse effect."

Being allowed to step away from the pressure of fighting for the No. 2 spot gave Brohm time to figure out what went wrong and begin his comeback. When he does get to throw in practice, he more often than not throws a tight spiral and puts the ball where it's supposed to be.

Mechanically, Brohm has worked hard at quickening his release so he can play to the speed of the game. He tended to drop the ball below chest level before throwing it and he just brings it up quickly and lets it fly.

"I've talked to him and he says he's throwing the ball really well," Oscar Brohm said. "When I go to the games I get there early so I can see him throw in warm-ups. I think he's throwing it well. I told him to just go back and throw the ball. Play the way you've always played. I think he's been doing that."

Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements spends as much time with Flynn and Brohm as he does with Rodgers when it comes to fundamentals. Both players have a role on the sideline during games and keep Rodgers informed of things they see.

Brohm has gone from Louisville savior to Packers unknown, and as hard as it might be to accept he was beaten out by a seventh-round pick, it's how he chooses to handle the near future that will dictate how far he goes.

"What you learn in the NFL, regardless of where you get drafted, you still have to come in and perform, no matter of the round," Clements said. "There's a history of a lot of guys who weren't drafted making teams and doing well. Once you're on a team, once you're in a camp, you have to go out and do the best you can."

This off-season, Brohm's main objective will be to increase lean muscle mass and continue to grow in the offense. He would also like to push Flynn for the No. 2 job.

"I'm excited to get to work this summer and come into training camp knowing what to expect," Brohm said. "I won't be surprised by anything. I'll be much more comfortable out there. Now I'm working every day to get better in case I get called on, but I know next year will be another competition and I'm going to make sure I'm ready for it."

UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
I do think that Brohm will retake his 2nd spot on the DC this offseason. This is a nice attitude and I think it will serve him well in his career.
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago
I also like the attitude.
It looks like he is willing to do whatever it takes.
This kid will do well in the longrun.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I, to, like his attitude. I guess he has an example in his brother, he failed pretty bad in the NFL.

Regaining the 2nd spot is pretty hard though, as Flynn is, in my eyes, way better than the spot he was drafted. Maybe he's another Mark Brunell or Matt Hasselback coming from GB and getting us back quite a nice draft pick or very capable back-up.

Back on topic though, it's not gonna be easy for him to get his 2nd string role back and not easy for the coaches to make a decision about it, I think.
shield4life
15 years ago
Remember how Rodgers wasn't that WOW when he just go drafted for until his 3 year ... Brohm has the potential to be a monster QB ... but will he?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
alldaybaby
15 years ago

Remember how Rodgers wasn't that WOW when he just go drafted for until his 3 year ... Brohm has the potential to be a monster QB ... but will he?

"krazygangsta" wrote:

rodgers still isn't "WOW" and potential is the most over rated word in football
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \"I\'ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\'s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \"
Rockmolder
15 years ago

"alldaybaby" wrote:

rodgers still isn't "WOW" and potential is the most over rated word in football

"krazygangsta" wrote:

So what actually would make him 'Wow' in your eyes?

Keeping in mind that he's a first year player, he does pretty much everything right but the standard, well, rookie stuff like holding on to the ball to long.

Now that would be a valid argument, but I think it's more of a bash Rodgers thingie going on here. You and Roddie should start a site.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.