dfosterf
15 years ago
EDIT/UPDATE:

Again, I am not a college football zealot, but I did take the time yesterday to watch two football games, so naturally I am now an expert :thumbleft:

Florida looks like the best in the nation to me, but they definitely play a very collegey brand of football. I wonder if Tebow, for example, has that much to offer an NFL franchise.

Alabama has a lot of football players that would seem to me to translate well into the NFL.

Oklahoma has an offensive line that the Green Bay Packers could trade in right now and be the better for it.

I'm going to be looking real hard at how pro-football weekly backstrokes on their review of Duke Robinson. While putting up those 62 points against Mizzou last night, they just crushed the previous NCAA record for points scored in a single season formerly held by Hawaii, and did it in one fewer game. I don't know exactly how you can critique an offensive guard without TIVO, but what I saw was an immovable wall when passing, and holes you could walk a third-world country through when running. The sad part is I'm afraid I wasn't the only one watching the game, so the price for Mr. Robinson's services just went up dramatically, perhaps out of our reach. I liked it better when many were saying he is a fat, lazy clown, or words to that effect---that made him gettable, and that just went bye-bye, imo.
porky88
15 years ago

Albert Haynesworth is the the guy you go for. GB has the cap and I'd make him the highest paid defensive player ever. Think of the wonders he would do for the defense. He can stop the run and he can rush the passer. It takes two guys to defend him and that opens the door for Aaron Kampman. You upgrade your team everywhere on defense with that type of a signing in my opinion.

Like most people though, I don't believe Thompson has the stones to make that move.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I don't think Ted is self destructive and I think he knows that if his team lays another egg next year his job is on the line.
Haynesworth could be the lifepreserver to save him.

I won't hold my breath though.

"porky88" wrote:

I think he could get him if he wanted too.

I'm pretty sure Haynesworth idolized Reggie White growing up which means GB might be one of his preferences to play at.

Make him the highest paid defensive player and he's signed. I'm pretty sure I heard Tennessee wasn't going to franchise him either due to an agreement they had this off season when they franchised him. He'll be there to get.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
All this talk of making him the highest-paid defensive player in the game makes me nervous. I have nightmares of him going down with a knee injury the first game, leaving us in salary cap hell.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
I said this in another thread someplace, but I think there is too much risk surrounding Haynesworth.. he has had past issues in this game and the Titans have been very cautious in locking this guy up.

Something is off with this guy... contract year syndrome maybe?

I would be excited to see him in Green.. but nervous as a cat on life number 8.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I would only approve of the deal if it were heavily incentive laden and included some sort of conduct clause.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

All this talk of making him the highest-paid defensive player in the game makes me nervous. I have nightmares of him going down with a knee injury the first game, leaving us in salary cap hell.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You make it a back end contract where he'll earn for example 40 million of an 80 million dollar contract over the course of the final two seasons of a six year deal. The other 40 million come in the first four years and let's say 15 to 20 is guarnteed.

He'll never see half of the contract because you can cut him or restructure the contract.

The Packers would need to spend ridiculous contracts on multiple players to get to cap hell. One big contract isn't going to do it. Two won't do it.

You also have to factor in that the Packers have plenty of contracts coming up sooner or later. I'm assuming Al Harris and Charles Woodson are not here for more than three years. That clears up space.

The Packers are sitting in excellent shape.
dfosterf
15 years ago
Amazing stuff here.

We actually have a thread going that seeks solutions instead of bitching about problems. 1 out of 50 isn't that bad, I guess. On the bitching note, and simultaneously on a solution note, I just read a very pithy remark by a well-respected (at least by me) poster on my former favorite forum. I think he summed things up pretty accurately. He said:

"Ted Thompson has drafted many excellent project players. The kind of player that can very reasonably be expected to produce in two to three years. This strategy has rebuilt the core of this team. This time is over, we need impact players in the draft. Period. "

I thought that was well-put, and one thing about Ted's strategy that creates some further problems for us wasn't mentioned... Some guys are further along then others, it is difficult to discern where the potential has been reached in a given player, especially when the guy might be playing injured, alongside someone who is failing in HIS performance, etc. I guess what I am saying is that we have an end-product that is inconsistent largely due to a more than average mixed-bag of developmental talent.

Pack's harsh critique of our linebackers is especially worrisome to me. We have a GM and a lot of his staff (I read their bio's in GBP website) that are either former linebackers, linebacker coaches, or both. Here is what I'm afraid of, and here goes a very esoteric analogy. Jonsey,the sonarman in the movie "The Hunt For Red October", said that his submarine detection software was originally developed to detect seismic anomolies, and would "Run Back To Momma" when detecting an unidentified source in the water, characterizing just about anything as a seismic event... I have this sense that when Ted Thompson and co. are in doubt as to what to do to fix a problem... well, they "Run Back To Momma" and start grabbing linebackers. I think that if they do that this year, we will FAIL miserably in repairing this football team defensively. I grew up with Vince, so I'm going to do my own version of the Jonsey analogy, and go with what I know since the day I started actually understanding this game almost 50 years ago. My seismic anomoly on this football team is on those lines...we can argue about a good blocking TE, etc. , but we will turn this football team around RFN if we put the heart, soul and future of this football team where it really would do the most good...again, on the lines. It is an age old axiom in this league for one reason, and one reason only...It is right, and it always has been. Boring, but so true.

Here is the prediction as to this forum, this offseason. Watch the biggest Ted Thompson critics. Here I am speaking of the BF crotch-sniffers. I'm not calling anyone specifically that...some of us know who they are, even if they don't. I say they all have certain tendencies, just like Jonsey's computer. My bet is that they will all be calling for whacky FA aquisitions, will initially be calling for vague help on the lines, and then as soon as the draft picture starts clearing, will be advocating skill position players, with an ebb and flow in lockstep with the Mel Kiper's of this world.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.