go.pack.go.
15 years ago
We had no idea how good they were going to be at that point in time...it's easy now going back and saying, "we should have drafted him because he's better."

Personally, I think Hawk is a great LB and it is unbelievable that people are saying that we shouldn't have drafted him.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
15 years ago

We had no idea how good they were going to be at that point in time...it's easy now going back and saying, "we should have drafted him because he's better."

Personally, I think Hawk is a great LB and it is unbelievable that people are saying that we shouldn't have drafted him.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I dont know, I just dont see anything that he does that is above average. When i watch him it seems that.

His instincts arent that great, his pass coverage is average, his nose for the ball is average and i'd hate to see him in open space with a running back. He wraps up on tackles pretty well. He had a good 40 time but it definitely does not translate to the field and in pads. Example, his pro day was 4.38 and at the combine it was 4.51 or 4.6. jerry rice's time was 4.7 but if he had a step on a db, he was gone.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I don't see him missing very many tackles....He does wrap up very good. I don't know if you can expect a LB to be able to match the speed and quickness of a RB in open space...
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
15 years ago
Warning: I'm about to be a huge dick because I'm immensely pissed off about that game.

My point is that nobody likes him except a few select people who he probably pays to spread good word about him.

Yeah, it's great, and with housing prices falling so much I just bought a mansion in Beverly Hills where I plan to host orgies with Ted Thompson and the entire Packers management--whom I'll fly down with a private jet also paid for by Tight Teddy--so that I'll have incentive to continue to say good things about him on an internet forum!

I said the O-line is intact. I didn't say it was a great line. But Favre had a career low in sacks with the line and with his passing threat, the opposing defenses played off the ball more allowing us to run the ball.

And you implied that Rodgers should be doing more with that line, both in the original post I cited and again in this post. "Favre had a career low in sacks last year." Well I'm glad Favre finally got his pass blocking down pat. Did he go to the pro bowl at left tackle last year? Quarterbacks do have a roll to play in how many sacks they take, but that is far and a way more indicative of line play than qb play. Rodgers on occasion holds on to the ball too much, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the offensive line has been significantly worse this year in pass protecting than they were last year.

He has proven he can lead us to 5-7 thus far. Hardly worth a pre-mature 65 mil contract. Doesnt Ted Thompson take a hard line stance when it comes to contracts? But for his golden boy, he gives him an extension and over pays him.. Why? Jennings deserved an extension. Some of that money he spent could have gone to suring up our pathetic O-line and getting a vet qb behind rodgers or maybe a legit pass coverage linebacker or two instead of going garage sale hunting for 50 cent linebackers. Remember Ryan Grant, Javon Walker, Al Harris & others as well who wanted contracts. It took them almost threatening to hold out to get him to even give them a small increase in pay. But Rodgers shows himself to be a decent qb maybe and Ted Thompson gives him Brady & Manning type money. Huge risk for a very inconsistent quarterback.

I'm not talking about other players and their contracts, or lack thereof. I'm talking about what Aaron Rodgers has proven this year but you refuse to give him any credit whatsoever which is absolutely absurd.

Aaron Rodgers - UNPROVEN
Nick Collins - DECENT
Brady Poppinga - DECENT
AJ Hawk - DISSAPOINTING FOR #5 OVERALL
Greg Jennings - VERY GOOD
Jason Spitz - NOTHING SPECIAL
Will Blackmon - GREAT RETURNER
Johnny Jolly - PURPLE DRANK
Brandon Jackson - NICE BACKUP
James Jones - NOT A DIFFERENCE MAKER
Aaron Rouse - GOOD BACKUP PROVEN NOTHING AS STATER
Korey Hall - DOES HE EVEN PLAY
Mason Crosby - AVERAGE KICKER
Jordy Nelson - UNPROVEN
...just to name some of the players he's brought in through the draft.

Jury is still out on all of them except for Jennings. I dont see a pro bowler or future pro bowler except for Jennings. For the most part, they are guys who add depth and can be an occasional spot starter. You are trying to list all of his draft picks as some kind of amazing thing. Just because we do not have a better player in place to start, does not make them a legit starter. By your logic, Jamarcus Russell and Fitzpatrick in Cincinatti are great players just because they are starting quarterbacks. Dont work that way. I think it's really cute how you happened to omit Harrell by the way. While we're at it, 2nd rounder Terrence Murphy, Marviel Underwood, Daryn Colledge(2nd round), Abdul Hodge(3rd round), Brian "bust" Brohm(2nd round), Patrick Lee(shown nothing). I really like how you forgot to mention these ground breaking draft picks. So basically, he drafted a bunch of busts, a bunch of below average players and one or two gems and some people want to label him a genious. I'm glad I got a chance to look this stuff up. Confirms what I already knew about him. Go Jets!!

Rodgers - borderline pro bowler this year, though it's hard in the NFC with Brees on pace to break Marino's last major passing record and Warner playing at such a high level leaving only one spot for Eli Manning, Tony Romo, and Aaron Rodgers.
Collins - among the league leaders in interceptions despite dealing with numerous injuries. He also has 3 defensive touchdowns if I recall correctly and has really had a break out year. He has some things he obviously still needs to work on but he is far better than decent and could also go to the pro bowl this year.
Poppinga - more or less agreed, I like the guy but he's not a star
AJ Hawk - disappointing thus far, but so was Collins as of a year ago... we'll see if he breaks out or not
Jennings - agreed
Spitz - rarely called for any of our endless penalties on the offensive line and versatile enough to play center and guard, not a spectacular player but a solid starting player
Blackmon - agreed, and he might become a good dime or nickel corner down the road too
Jolly - his play on the field has been good, it's a shame he might hurt that off the field
Jackson - has improved immensely from early last year and at this moment is a very good 2nd running back, a weapon that all good teams have these days
Jones - has shown flashes and in general has played well
Rouse - has played well when asked to fill in, it will be interesting to see how well he develops
Korey Hall - yeah, actually he does play and he's a good fullback
Crosby - he's better than average and has one of the strongest legs in the league
Nelson - has done very well for a rookie receiver, can catch the ball well, runs good routes, and blocks well down field

Pro bowlers/future pro bowlers amongst them would have to include Rodgers and Collins and Blackmon as a returner. Also, most of those guys are very young and have not hit their prime so it's really hard to say how many of them will end up going to the pro bowl or get to that level but I guarantee you Rodgers will go to a number of them. He's done better than get the occasional spot starter. And, I'm not saying these guys are good simply because they start, don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying Ted Thompson has had some success in the draft, and your whole spiel about not having any confidence is just not the case. And as for the players omitted, I'm not talking about his misses. Every GM misses on several picks every year. It happens. And while we're at it, Terrance Murphy showed a lot of talent in what little time he was here before he had a career ending neck injury due to spinal stenosis. No one saw that coming and it's a damn shame but that's football. Underwood was a miss in the 4th round, as was Hodge. Daryn Colledge has been disappoint because of major inconsistencies and some really awful games. However, Brohm and Lee are f*cking rookies, how the hell can you call them busts already? It's a complete double standard. With players that have done well for a little while, they're unproven, but for rookies who haven't had much of a shot or done well they're busts. By that logic Favre should've been out of the league after his rookie year.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I stand by my assessment of last season as we were fortunate with injuries, got some teams on their down side at the right time and had the ball bounce our way.

We won 13 regular season games, but I still think we were a 10-11 win team.

I thought we were a 10 win team this year and 11 or so with our old QB, but I was sadly mistaken.
UserPostedImage
macbob
15 years ago
Last year, going into the season, I expected to be 10-6 at best. Last year, we were 5-2 (including the Giants game) in games decided by a touchdown or less. This year, we're 1-5.

Last year, Favre won some close games with his arm when we had no running game at all. This year, the defense can't get off the field, and to my knowledge the quarterback can't throw any touchdowns if he can't get on the field.
UserPostedImage