beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
The main reason I wanted to post this article was as to my theory of why Mike Pettine doesn't want to be a head coach again (at least for a while)... Pettine said it was because the job flips from 10% administrative to 90% administrative (instead of football which is what he wants to focus on)... but my theory goes that 90% administrative was partly dealing with an owner who gets too involved and won't you do what's best for your football team...

In 2014 Mike Pettine became the Browns head coach, also the same year that owner Jimmy Haslam is rumored to have forced 1st round rookie Johnny Manziel on the field despite objections from the coaches... which cause Kyle Shanahan to quit at years end. But apparently it goes deeper than that....

Haslam has, according to the report, angered the football people by inviting friends, family and corporate sponsors into the draft room, while the draft is going on. Specifically, the report says Haslam wanted to draft Johnny Manziel in 2014, and “the war room was packed with Haslam’s guests” to see it happen.

profootballtalk  wrote:

The 2014 draft was also the draft that the Cowboys surprised everyone... as the Cowboys needed a starting QB, and their GM/owner Jerry Jones loves hyped guys... and the very hyped QB Johnny Manziel was there for the taking... and they select... IOL Zack Martin?

Though it later came out, that when the Cowboys went onto the clock... Jerry grabbed Manziel draft card, and started walking to hand it in... and his son, Stephen, ran to catch up with him, snatched the card out of his hands and ripped it up before talking Jerry into coming back to the draft table... and then they as a group selected Zack Martin. And that's also when it because more known that Stephen Jones is now unofficially running the Cowboys personal (though Jerry is still the face and wants to act like the big shot in complete control). But that also explains why the Cowboys drafts suddenly became different drafting linemen higher and team becoming more successful in the draft overall.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
5 years ago
You don't have to be part of the media or a football professional to see that teams, where the owner is choosing the players, don't do well. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is a prime example. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is another. Other teams also fall into this category as well. They (the team owners) have however invested a considerable chunk of their money and must feel that it is their privilege to get their way no matter whether they are right or wrong. In the end, most of the time, the team, the city, and the fans suffer as the owner pours himself another glass of Scotch.

John Gruden has apparently made some kind of hands off deal with the Raiders owner. It remains to be seen how ripping the team apart will fare following the 2019 NFL Draft. The impending move to Las Vegas must figure into this strategy, but it has not yet revealed itself.

Each team in the NFL, with the exception of the Packers, has some owner connected story to tell. The ones that hire a highly qualified GM to run the franchise do best. That does not mean to say that the owner is not aware of what is going on with his and the other teams.

So far GB has not had any highly questionable calls from it's GM. Parting with Mike McCarthy should be a good thing for the Packers. Retaining DC Mike Pettine is good as the defense did show improvement last season and should do so moving forward. The thing that Coach Pettine needs the most are better players at the Edge Rusher and Safety positions. Saying goodbye to Matthews could be a great first step toward hiring replacements.

Coach LeFleur's new offensive system will need some new players also. The Right Tackle and TE positions, IMO, need to be addressed.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
interesting read.

Pettine is a man comfortable in his own skin.

Once burned, twice shy.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
dhazer (11m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.