Packnic
15 years ago

What I am saying is that we shouldn't expect Rodgers do be able to pull it out at the end.. some QB's have the nack for pulling the rabbit at the end.. some do not.

At this point and time, I don't see Rodgers as the guy that can take the ball with the clocking running on empty and lead this team down the field..

With that said.. as a front office and a team, we need to put ourselves in a position not to have the game come down to that.. period.

You seem to want to compare Brett to Aaron directly, that isn't the point of the thread... the point is after a couple of chances this season.. it appears that Rodgers doesn't have the 2 minute comeback magic..

Nothing more.. most QB's can't... he played a good game yesterday as most times this season..

Should have known better.. can't voice an opinion on Rodgers without drawing fire.. stupid me..

On the half year opinions.. then what in the hell did we just pay him a brinks truckload worth for.. if you can't make an opinion on his play to date?

"pack93z" wrote:

I didn't bring up Favre... Since69 did... and my whole argument in this thread was more based on that general opinion than anything you said.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago

What I am saying is that we shouldn't expect Rodgers do be able to pull it out at the end.. some QB's have the nack for pulling the rabbit at the end.. some do not.

At this point and time, I don't see Rodgers as the guy that can take the ball with the clocking running on empty and lead this team down the field..

With that said.. as a front office and a team, we need to put ourselves in a position not to have the game come down to that.. period.

You seem to want to compare Brett to Aaron directly, that isn't the point of the thread... the point is after a couple of chances this season.. it appears that Rodgers doesn't have the 2 minute comeback magic..

Nothing more.. most QB's can't... he played a good game yesterday as most times this season..

Should have known better.. can't voice an opinion on Rodgers without drawing fire.. stupid me..

On the half year opinions.. then what in the hell did we just pay him a brinks truckload worth for.. if you can't make an opinion on his play to date?

"Packnic" wrote:

I didn't bring up Favre... Since69 did... and my whole argument in this thread was more based on that general opinion than anything you said.

"pack93z" wrote:

Pack i totally agree with you in that (🅱fOR THE PEOPLE THAT DON'T WANT TO ADMIT THE OBVIOUS QUESTION. RODGERS HASN'T PROVEN HE CAN TAKE THE BALL WITH 2 MINUTES OR LESS AND DRIVE HIS TEAM DOWN THE FIELD. i have said that a few times already but i see the Rodgers lovers won't look at your main point they just come up with different excuses.

Its a sad thing when a rookie like Matt Ryan has more comebacks then a guy that is suppose to know a system inside and out.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

Some QB's have that ability to make it happen when there isn't the next series... Matty Ice in Atlanta is doing it his rookie year, so it isn't all experience..

It is too early to definitively say Rodgers can or can't be that player, the variables are to vast to say it is him or not... but to this point, he hasn't shown that "it" factor at the end of the game.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

93z, I've said the same things many times.... but thinking back I believe yesterday we saw the emergence of a play maker.

I think yesterday, Rodgers took that step from being a "good" QB in a QB friendly system to showing he has "it".

In no way, shape, or form could anyone say that our Offense looked like it would perform the way it did in the second half after the first half performance.

Aaron Rodgers, the QB, led this team to three scoring drives of 96, 76, and 79 yards.

I really believe that yesterday we witnessed the emergence of a play maker, of someone that did what Favre has done countless times: put his team on his back and march forward to attain victory.

First TD drive of second half (96 yards): Aaron went 7/8 for 100 yards and a TD.

Second TD drive of second half (76 yards): Aaron went 5/6 for 73 yards and a TD.

Third FG drive of second half (79 yards): Aaron went 6/6 for 55 yards and a FG.

In all, Aaron went 18/20 for 228 yards and 2 TDs. That's a hell of an effort.

Even more impressive though, are the plays Aaron made when nothing was there. Take the two runs he had that produced first downs. One went for 10+ yards, where Aaron faked going out of bounds and kept running to pick up the first down.

The other was a third down where Aaron stepped up and had some nice moves for a QB that led him to get a first down.

Sure this team stepped up its play a great deal in the second half, but I really think we say the emergence of a player that read the defences, understood what adjustments to make, where the WRs would be open, and a player who was determined to lead his team to a win.

Sure he couldn't take this team home to victory. But I think that'll come, the main question I had was whether Aaron could answer the call when nothing was seemingly going right for the Packers.

I think he showed yesterday that he could. He has, IMO, proven that he has what it takes to be mentioned in the same breath as those greats that constantly put their teams on their backs.

"pack93z" wrote:

Good post.. excellent rebuttal and opinion.. time will tell.

That hit he took and got up again.. damn that was brutal.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
macbob
15 years ago

I think he showed yesterday that he could. He has, IMO, proven that he has what it takes to be mentioned in the same breath as those greats that constantly put their teams on their backs.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Not yet. He's showing potential to be mentioned with the greats, but he has a long way to go first.

My opinion, it's unrealistic for him to be expected to be a Brett Favre in his first year leading the team--Brett Favre wasn't even Brett Favre in his first year...

Rodgers needs some time on the field in actual game situations and he'll learn, for example, he doesn't have to win it all back with one throw, but he can lose it with one.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
15 years ago

I think this is horseshit. He showed it in the first game against the Vikings. and how many times do you want him to win it for you. Yesterday he did more than enough to get the win... and the special teams and defense let it slide once more. I mean how many times did Brett Favre have 2 game winning drives in 17 years?

Favre's first season. end result 9-7. that mean according to several of you guys logic... Favre alone didnt do enough to win 7 games. something we can still do as well.

I think its all a bunch of spoiled fans grasping at straws to explain an unfortunate, unbalanced, injury filled year.

I love how we give Aaron Rodgers 1 half of a year before saying he just doesn't have "it"... but we're fine with giving Favre a 12th year to prove he wouldn't choke in the playoffs.

"Packnic" wrote:

Get real dude, your throwing out random statements just to protect your boy.

#1, Favre didn't take over for a team that was 13-3.

#2 I'm not going to go back in history but I'll just go back back two weeks ago. Favre leads Jets to TD. Pats tie it. Favre leads the Jets to a game winning FG in OT.

#3 Your missing the whole point of the post. He didn't say anything about Rodgers never having "it". He just hasn't had it thus far and if you think he has, your even more bias than I thought.

It's simple, he's had 4 chances, and he didn't come through in any of them. IF he gets even two of those, we're 7-5 and in the lead for the division. Your missing the whole point because of your blind hatred for Favre. Why the obsession with Favre? What does that have to do with anything?
blank
mi_keys
15 years ago

i think yesterday was the 4th time this year rodgers as had the ball in hand and failed to lead the team in a 4th quarter comeback to win the game , until he gets over that hurdle you will always have trouble winning games

"pack93z" wrote:

I was going to start that thread, but didn't think people could honestly put down their axes enough to not erupt into a full blown flame fest. Pro and anti Rodgers people alike.

But the hell with it.. reality at this point an time.

Rodgers had plenty of time yesterday to make a serious run at a winning drive..

I want to preface this correctly.. I admire the way Rodgers has played this season.. he is a solid QB, smart in most decisions and surprising tougher than I thought he was.. he has proven that time and time again this season.. if you still had doubts, that Peppers hit yesterday should have sealed it. He is not the reason we are where we are.. point blank.

But inexperienced or not.. he hasn't proved that he can take over a game when he has no choice but to...

Some QB's have that ability to make it happen when there isn't the next series... Matty Ice in Atlanta is doing it his rookie year, so it isn't all experience..

It is too early to definitively say Rodgers can or can't be that player, the variables are to vast to say it is him or not... but to this point, he hasn't shown that "it" factor at the end of the game.

Agreeing with a Viking fan... what next.. a booming economy and a loto winning ticket? :lol:

Try to be real about this post.. I know for some that isn't possible... but at least try to be adult about your posts...

"alldaybaby" wrote:

While I think this has been the one valid criticism of Rodgers this year it might not be so cut and dry as he doesn't have the ability to do the late drive.

We cite four chances to come back and I take that to be Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Carolina. For arguments sake I'll throw in Atlanta for analysis.

Tampa Bay - on the second play of his last drive a defensive end came completely unblocked from the blind side and killed him as he let go of the ball. No quarterback would not have thrown an interception on that play unless they had eyes on the back of their head. Inexcusable from the line and in no way is that Aaron's fault.

Atlanta - with 3:35 on the clock Rodgers got the ball knowing he needed two scores, and two scores quickly. He drove the team 72 yards for a TD leaving 1:56 on the clock and two timeouts for the defense to stop the Falcons. The defense failed. But right here we see a successful example of the two minute offense from Rodgers.

Tennessee - In Rodgers last drive he drove into Tennessee territory but could not get past the 43. It was close but he didn't do enough. The defense fell apart afterwards and he never got another chance. The criticism holds here.

Minnesota - Rodgers first play went for 19 yards and got us into Minnesota territory. We then ran twice and on third Rodgers had to take the check down to get us into field goal range. Crosby missed a field goal, albeit a 52 yarder, but one that he is more than capable of making. He gave our kicker a chance to win it, which was as much as he could do with the play calling. Again, this one is not on him and we would not be discussing it if Crosby hits that field goal.

Carolina - Okay, we were down by 11 points at half. Rodgers led two scoring drives in the 3rd to tie it, then twice led drives to take the lead in the fourth including one that gave us the lead with less than two minutes to play. Yes he failed to do it one last time but honestly this game would've been a blowout without Rodgers carrying us back into it and twice leading drives that could have, and should have won it. That right there is "it." And as for the throw, well he shouldn't have tried to force it but if he gets a little more on it, it is completed and we're in business. It's a mistake he'll learn from. The criticism holds on the last drive, but the rest of the second half is evidence to the contrary.

All in all, his fourth quarter come back ability has not been as bad as some would have you believe. He's actually done quite a few good things to give us a chance in the dying minutes. Besides the few things listed above, he also led the drive for a go ahead field goal against the Lions after they had taken the lead. That ended their momentum and put the pressure back on their offense, allowing our defense to take care of the rest. It may be the Lions but he still did it and that's something we can't completely overlook when we're discussing this. I think he does have "it" and that will be made manifest in the years to come. He's been knocking on the door all season long.
Born and bred a cheesehead
longtimefan
15 years ago

#2 I'm not going to go back in history but I'll just go back back two weeks ago. Favre leads Jets to TD. Pats tie it. Favre leads the Jets to a game winning FG in OT.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

So we have a q/b that puts the kicker in a spot to make a fg and kicker fails, so its all on AR?? (** please do not bring crap about Aaron Rodgers didnt get them closer**)

BF gets his kicker for a chance to make a fg, kicker makes it and its all BF??

Perfect example of double standard
longtimefan
15 years ago

It's simple, he's had 4 chances, and he didn't come through in any of them. IF he gets even two of those, we're 7-5 and in the lead for the division. Your missing the whole point because of your blind hatred for Favre. Why the obsession with Favre? What does that have to do with anything?

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

one chance was not met by his kicker...If his kicker did what BF kicker did that would be a 6-6 record right now..

before I am blasted...

He could have done more, but he did just enough for the Pack to win...

scoring over 28 points 2 weeks in a row and the Pack lose? Thats not his fault
evad04
15 years ago
For all the preaching on this website from the so-called "Rodgers" supporters, what we have here is the idea that so-far -- that is to say, so-far in Rodgers FIRST SEASON AS A STARTER -- he doesn't possess this magical "intangible" quality to single-handedly win games with "moxie" and "guts."

I call it BS. I call it total BS. That "thing" we're looking for -- this elusive quality that Favre and all the "greats" had -- wasn't probably something we were probing for in the FIRST SEASON wherein they started. Does anyone remember asking whether Elway in his FIRST season as a starter possessed the 4th quarter grit to carry a team? What about Montana? Anyone? C'mon.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about asking good questions and having good discussions. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think the 13-3 season last year did something to our collective psyches. Specifically, it arose in our heads this notion that immediate analysis of the "Favre-intangible" (that "magical" 4th quarter winning ability) is the only apt comparison to make with our new quarterback. Don't ask, "Is he tough?" or "Does he carry himself well?" Don't ask, "What is his completion percentage?" or "How about that TD-to-INT ratio?" No -- let's just immediately compare him to ALL-TIME GREATS. Oh yeah -- did I get across the point that this is his FIRST season starting?

Sorry, gents. I've had a handful of beers and my dog just died. I've had a bad day. Anyway -- I hope my point is apparent. Let's stop the immediate analysis and comparison to the greats. Let's let this thing play out a little more before we ask the "big" questions.

Go Rodgers. Go Pack Go.

P.S. For the record, Pack93z, I admire your posts and am thankful you are an active member of this forum.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
GOPACKGO1225
15 years ago
For as many good things he has learned from Brett, it seems like he picked up the worst thing he could possible pick up from Favre and that's those boneheaded 4th quarter/OT INT's.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.