Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Look at the way the D shut down the Panthers in the second half, and you blame McCarthy for trusting his D?

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

You miss the point entirely. The point is that Carolina had started with great field position the entire day, returning the ball back to the 45 several times. Had the offense missed on the touchdown attempt, it would have pinned Carolina back inside the 1. By kicking off back to them, it gave them great field position to start the drive -- just as it had all afternoon.
UserPostedImage
Ginco19
15 years ago

I do agree that the call to rush 11 on the punt was an awful, awful decision. Will Blackmon is a dangerous returner, and they didn't want to put it in his hands. I doubt he is going to take 13 seconds to return it that far.

I wonder if that call was on Stock or McCarthy...

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Agreed, chances of blackmon returning a punt to a spot where we could go for a hail mary is better to me then us blocking a punt. either way I hate the fact that we would need to make that decision looking at post game stats.
TheEngineer
15 years ago

Look at the way the D shut down the Panthers in the second half, and you blame McCarthy for trusting his D?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You miss the point entirely. The point is that Carolina had started with great field position the entire day, returning the ball back to the 45 several times. Had the offense missed on the touchdown attempt, it would have pinned Carolina back inside the 1. By kicking off back to them, it gave them great field position to start the drive -- just as it had all afternoon.

Offset by the fact that they would have only needed to get a field goal to win, shortening the field something like 45 yards.
blank
minnypacker
15 years ago
I believe the late hit on Rodgers is the reason for the conservitive play calls on 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure all his wits were there. Would I have called it differently sure, but you have to take the 3 pts when you can. If the ST would have done an average job today, Carolina would have had a much tougher time scoring.

We can bitch all we want, but this team has been playing with duct tape and mirrors for the last few weeks. AJ is not a MLB (that has become apparent), we have no pass rush, Woodson is playing safety because we have none left, Wells was out, Grant went out, all those injuries affect teh ST play as well. This is one of those years where injuries have kicked us in the nuts.

We still have 4 winnable games in teh next 4 weeks, we are not completely out of it, but getting close.
shield4life
15 years ago
Coaching sucks on this team.

#1: Every week when we start a game we start off bad, I mean it's like is team is never ready against a team when they start the first quarter. What the hell does Mike McCarthy do the whole week. It takes them until half time to start playing good.

#2: Please for the love of god change the god damn defensive coordinator. This guy sucks, our defense can never stop the opposing offense at any crucial time.

I'm so dissapointed this year ...

Our coaches suck we're never ready, and defense always chokes.

I mean rodgers had 3 td's we put up 31 pts and we can't win a game with 31 pts somethings wrong with defense no doubt.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
minnypacker
15 years ago

The packers need to change coaching ... they will never win a SB with the coaching we have now !!!

"krazygangsta" wrote:

I might agree with the defensive coordinator, but if you are talking about our HC, you are off your rocker. McCarthy has shown that he is a quality HC.
minnypacker
15 years ago

Coaching sucks on this team.

#1: Every week when we start a game we start off bad, I mean it's like is team is never ready against a team when they start the first quarter. What the hell does Mike McCarthy do the whole week. It takes them until half time to start playing good.

#2: Please for the love of god change the god damn defensive coordinator. This guy sucks, our defense can never stop the opposing offense at any crucial time.

I'm so dissapointed this year ...

Our coaches suck we're never ready, and defense always chokes.

I mean rodgers had 3 td's we put up 31 pts and we can't win a game with 31 pts somethings wrong with defense no doubt.

"krazygangsta" wrote:

I don't like our defensive philosophy, but how often have we played with our starting squad this year? Maybe one game? We need help on the DL in nearly every position other than Kampy, but adding a solid DE opposite of him would make everyone look better.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Agreed, chances of blackmon returning a punt to a spot where we could go for a hail mary is better to me then us blocking a punt..

"Ginco19" wrote:

Well, yeah, and not only would they have had to block the punt, they would have had to recover the ball too. The mathematical odds against that are astronomical.

The D was lights out in the second half. There was no reason to not trust the D to come up with a stop given their great play in the second half.

The defense hardly had to play the second half because the offense was dominating time of possession.

Offset by the fact that they would have only needed to get a field goal to win, shortening the field something like 45 yards

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Valid point, although with the 20-25 mph gusts on the field, attempting a 55-yard field goal would have been dicey.

Either way, our kick coverage had been horrendous all day. There was no point in giving them great field position.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Definitely don't get rid of McCarthy. Definitely get rid of Bob Sanders.

Sanders is the only change we need. We need a DC like Jim Johnson or Kiffin.
UserPostedImage
millertime
15 years ago

Are you serious?

The D was lights out in the second half. There was no reason to not trust the D to come up with a stop given their great play in the second half.

the D gave up 14 points in the second half. i wouldn't call that lights out. and their returners were killing us all game, just like against the saints. it was a mistake to cut white for lansanah, our special teams hasn't been the same since. our d let the panthers score in less than 30 seconds, they are not lights out.

McCarthy took the sure-fire 3 points. You can't blame him for that.

i don't blame him for that. i blame him for our offense's slow start, idiotic personnel moves, and for losing four games by four points or less. we win two of those games, we're in the playoffs.