Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*173/kampman112708.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - Each week the Green Bay Packers fail to adequately rush the passer, the pressure on defensive end Aaron Kampman to get a sack increases exponentially.

Since 2006, hardly anyone has been as good at coming up with one than him. His 35 sacks over that span rank second in the National Football League behind Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware's 36 1/2, and going into the Packers' must-win game against Carolina on Sunday, Kampman has 7, which ranks him 13th in the league this season.

Kampman has been remarkably good at fending off external forces such as the pressure to rescue a pass rush that didn't get the job done against New Orleans on Monday night and appears to be fading the same way it did at the end of last season. When it comes to such things, Kampman just plays.

"You have to develop certain mechanisms in this profession," Kampman said. "It's a tremendous profession and I'm not saying I have it figured out, but I'm learning more and more that you have to continue not to let that kind of stuff get to you and bother you. Those are things that will burn you out."

Kampman didn't have a sack against the Saints, but he hit quarterback Drew Brees five times, which on any occasion is a good night's work. You would think that in games Kampman is playing so well the coaches would increase his number of snaps and keep him on the field, but the truth is they can't.

He's already playing as many snaps as humanely possible, and actually the coaches are trying to reduce that number so he doesn't fade at the end of the year. Over the last two seasons, Kampman's second half of the season has not been as productive in sacks as his first half, which could be the result of his body wearing down.

In '06, when he broke out with 15 sacks, he had six of them in the final eight games. In '07, when he followed up with 12, he had just three in his final nine games, including two playoff games (he was rested in the season finale against Detroit).

Kampman never lets on whether he's battling an injury, so it's hard to tell if he was affected physically either of those seasons. He doesn't necessarily see a correlation between the number of snaps he plays and his sack totals, but rather sees it as a marathon in which he expects to outlast the competition.

"So much of it is mental," Kampman said. "Yes, there's a physical component to it, but I think much of it is your mentality and then it is health. There are times in Week 4 I haven't felt great. By Week 12 I'm feeling good. And other times it's flipped. It's really dictated by what's going on and how your body responds."

This season, Kampman is playing about 94% of the defensive snaps, which is a phenomenal number for someone who plays as hard as he does. It's not that different from recent years, though, so he can continue doing it the rest of the season without fear that he'll completely fall apart.

The trick for defensive ends coach Carl Hairston is to figure out a way to maximize Kampman's output without sacrificing the performance of the entire defensive line. Even Kampman at 70 or 80% offers more pass rush than what veteran Mike Montgomery or youngsters Jeremy Thompson, Kenny Pettway and Jason Hunter can at this stage of their careers.

Previously, when Kampman came off the field, the Packers still had a threat with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or Cullen Jenkins in the lineup, but since KGB's release and Jenkins' season-ending injury nobody has filled that void. So when Kampman gets a breather, the odds the Packers are going to get a sack diminish greatly.

And so, Hairston faces the difficult proposition of keeping Kampman fresh so he's more effective and avoiding a series in which the opposing quarterback has all day to throw.

"What we're trying to do is keep him fresh down the stretch," Hairston said. "I think we had 57 plays Monday and he may have played 42 or 43. He probably doesn't want to come out. He probably could play the whole game, that's how in shape he is.

"We're trying to do it early in the game instead of late in case it's a real tight ball game. I try to do it early, usually the first or second quarter in case he has to play the whole third or fourth quarter."

The Packers currently rank tied for 24th in sacks per pass play, down six spots from just three weeks ago. That was the last time a defensive lineman had a sack.

If things were working the way they should, Kampman would be setting up sacks for other players by either driving the quarterback out of the pocket or drawing multiple blockers so others have one-on-ones. Before Jenkins got hurt, the Packers had nine sacks in their first three games.

Hairston's only hope now is that someone other than Kampman starts to provide some consistent pass rush. Thompson was getting better but suffered a setback with a groin injury, Pettway has not done much despite his speed and Montgomery is a hustle player who is limited in ability.

"We're not getting it done," Hairston said of the group that remains. "They know it and we know it and I'm going to push harder to get it done this weekend and the last five weeks of the season. We just have to keep working on it."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.