Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

Pack,

I see what you're saying, but this is not the same situation at all.

First off, Ted Thompson has been here for FOUR YEARS already...by the 4th year...Wolf had already had his SB trophy.

"Roddyboy" wrote:

Wolf came to Green Bay.. 1991

Ron Wolf, N.Y. Jets director of player personnel and veteran of 29 years as pro football scout and executive, named executive vice president and general manager by Harlan, with full authority over Packers' football operation (Nov. 27).

Meaning.. he had the remainder of 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995.. to build a team that finally won it all in the 1996 Season.. so subtract the 1991 season.. that still is 4 complete offseasons to build a team that went the distance..

That is 5 seasons of offseason moves to assemble the team correct?

9-7, 9-7, 9-7, 11-5.. was the first 4 years of his rein..

I don't know where we will end up... maybe we never win one with Thompson.. but my point is there was plenty of contention those first 4 years that we should have been better.. with a HOFer on each side of the ball we didn't go more than 9-7 for two years.

Patience.. that is all.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
But to your point.. we have underachieved this season.. absolutely no doubt about that. None.

Lunch over.. out to sit for the evening.. need to shoot one yet this season.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RedSoxExcel
15 years ago
Nice post Pack93, I get what you are saying.

And Sherman was horrible, simple as that.

But I will have to disagree that this is a similar situation. 13-3 and an OT away from the SB to 5-6 with almost the exact same team, is a big step back rather than a step forward.

Yeah you have to rebuild, but you already rebuilt to a 13-3 record. You actaully regressed, which is no longer on the rebuilding road IMO. This team is underachieving.
blank
minnypacker
15 years ago

But to your point.. we have underachieved this season.. absolutely no doubt about that. None.

Lunch over.. out to sit for the evening.. need to shoot one yet this season.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree we have underachieved this season, but It has little to do with teh play of AR. The defense has been our downfall as well as an inconsistant effort from our OL (especially Clifton).

This team will not take the next lead until our lines become dominant again.
minnypacker
15 years ago

Nice post Pack93, I get what you are saying.

And Sherman was horrible, simple as that.

But I will have to disagree that this is a similar situation. 13-3 and an OT away from the SB to 5-6 with almost the exact same team, is a big step back rather than a step forward.

Yeah you have to rebuild, but you already rebuilt to a 13-3 record. You actaully regressed, which is no longer on the rebuilding road IMO. This team is underachieving.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

Sherman was a poor GM (IMHO A serious mistake by Harlan and Wolf) but a better coach than people give him credit for...I loved his OL philosophy!
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
We needed more quality depth. I agree that this season is as much about underachieving as anything. It cannot be overstated how awful the loss of Jenkins was.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
MS was a fine HC, sometimes people forget he took over a team that was 8-8 the year before and did not make the play-offs.

He was smart enough to know that he had a good core of "better than most" and "great players" to build with and IMHO tried to add to that core of players by using free agecy, trades, and trying to "hit" on players in the draft that could immediately help the team.

Did it work?, MS did have a pretty good W-L record, but also made some bad decisions which probably did cost The Packers a chance at "at least one more SB run".

I don't think it was MS's idea to become both HC and GM, he was offered the posiition, what HC in his right mind was going to turn it down?

The GM/HC experiment that happened in the mid-late 90's turned out in most cases to not work anywhere. IE...Mike Holmgren in Seattle.

TT's philosphy is completely different than MS's was, is it better?, only time will tell, at this point MS's W-L record for the first 4 years is better than TT's, IMHO the patience of a good % of Packer fans is going to wear thin real fast if the rest of this season does not go well.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DanJustDan29
15 years ago
Good Riddance to those who can't take it anymore...
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.