wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
'Americans won two world wars without stretching': NFL coach says common practice is overrated. Is he right? 

All I know is Packers have been pulling hammies for years and years.

Stretching has gone hand in hand with exercise for years, but one influential sports figure isn’t a fan. Bob Wylie, offensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns and a breakout star of HBO’s Hard Knocks, has made it very clear on the show that he thinks stretching is “overrated.”

“Did you know in World War I and World War II, all those guys that fought in that war, they did pushups, jumping jacks, sit-ups, [climbed up] and ran, but none of this fancy s***, and they won two world wars, two world wars by doing jumping jacks, pushups and sit-ups, two world wars,” he said in a recent episode. “You think they were worried when they were running across Normandy about f***ing stretching? Are you kidding me? … Give me my rubber band to stretch so I can run across that f***ing beach. You’ve got to be kidding me.”

In another scene, Wylie told a fellow staffer, “I’d rather watch a plant grow than stretch.”

People are obsessing over Wylie’s comments online:

In another scene, Wylie told a fellow staffer, “I’d rather watch a plant grow than stretch.”

Clearly, Wylie has some strong opinions when it comes to stretching, and, while they’re intense, they’re not out of left field. Stretching has been viewed as somewhat controversial in athletic circles thanks to mixed research on its effectiveness. One meta-analysis published in the journal Research in Sports Medicine in 2017 found that stretching poses “no significant advantage” to endurance runners and that it can’t help improve performance or reduce the number of injuries a person suffers. Another review and meta-analysis published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2014 found that stretching had no effect on whether people got injured while working out.

However, other research has found that stretching can help range of motion in elderly people and people who are moderately flexible are less likely to become injured than those who are either highly flexible or not flexible at all.

“It’s hard to make a blanket statement that stretching is good or bad,” Albert Matheny of SoHo Strength Lab and Promix Nutrition, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “Context matters.”

There are different types of stretching, like static stretching (where you hold a stretch in a certain challenging position for several seconds), dynamic stretching (which are active movements of a muscle that cause a stretch but aren’t held in place), and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretching, which involves stretching and contracting a particular muscle group that’s being targeted, Matheny explains. And again, context matters. “Stretching is important and can be beneficial if done correctly, and for the right reasons,” Jim Pivarnik, a professor of kinesiology at Michigan State University, tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

In the short term, the right stretching can warm up a person’s muscles; in the long term, it can increase their range of motion around a joint, Pivarnik explains. But, he adds, there’s “very little research supporting a significant increase in performance” due to stretching.

Ultimately, the type of stretching someone does in a particular situation matters. In the context of football, dynamic stretches like high knees and other motion-based warmups are likely to be the most effective, Matheny says. “For runners, I would suggest doing a bit of a walk first, then a bit of a stretch, then the run, then walk to cool down, followed by a light stretch,” Pivarnik says.

But if you’re planning to do a sprint workout or heavy lifting, you’ll really want to avoid static stretching. “Before activities, especially power-based activities, static stretching is not helpful and may even be harmful,” Matheny says.

Whether stretching can be a benefit and the type of stretching you need really depends on the activity you’re planning to do. “It needs to be specific to the sport, activity, and timing,” Matheny says. “But in most cases, you’ll get better and more specific benefit from doing a full warmup.”

UserPostedImage
steveishere
5 years ago
It wasn't WWII but when I was in the Marines we stretched before PT. 😕
stevegb
5 years ago
Better safe than sorry right. Also I'm not sure if taking athletic advice from Bob Wylie is recommended, X's and O's and technique sure, health and fitness I'm going to other sources.
blank
gbguy20
5 years ago
The giants have mandated yoga. The chargers are doing yoga. Yoga > stretching. We should do yoga.
Dulak
5 years ago
Well I'll throw my 2 cents in from a practical stand point.

1. I used to life a lot of weights when I was 17-19 (body builder). I would injure myself All the time. Then I started to stretch much more ... much much more. My injuries went way down. When I work out now I still follow the same thing as I did back then and stretch a lot; I dont ever want to tear an achilles, bicep or pec so yes I stretch.

2. As a chiropractor the patients that are the most flexible recover the quickest and are more likely to be able to have less long term problems and are less likely to have problems in the first place.
isocleas2
5 years ago
While I'm sure it took plenty of physical exertion to win the war I doubt there were 300 pound nazis running a sub 5.0 40 at you. Winning a war is not comparable to playing football, they require totally different skill sets and preparation.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (22h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (23h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.