Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:24:02 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,044

We can't stop the run.. they can't stop the pass... should be entertaining to see which sieve cracks more. ;)

Honestly though.. this bodes well for a bounce back game of sorts for the Packer passing game after two weeks of so so production.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/314279

Quote:
Packers: Bears' pass defense has been toothless
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY The question came at Aaron Rodgers in much the same way that the Minnesota Vikings' pass rush had a few days earlier: Strong, and from multiple directions.

But this time, unlike with Jared Allen & Co., the Green Bay Packers quarterback was able to deftly side-step it.

First, standing in front of his locker, the man with the camera on his shoulder just had to know: Are Rodgers and the Packers "licking your chops" to face the Chicago Bears' pass defense Sunday?

What the question might have lacked in style most players are smart enough to recognize potential bulletin-board fodder when they hear it it certainly made up for with substance: The Bears enter the game with ranked 30th among the NFL's 32 teams in pass defense, having allowed a whopping 251.8 yards per game.

"That's only because they gave up about 20 yards rushing (to Tennessee last week)," Rodgers replied, pointing out how the Titans' LenDale White (10 carries, 14 yards) and Chris Johnson (14 carries, 8 yards) went nowhere against the Bears.

"In this league you're going to give yards one way or the other, any defense. And they shut down the run great and Tennessee had to try to run the ball through the air. They have a solid back end. ... So it's going to be important for us to execute the way we know how to. But it's going to be tough sledding all day, no doubt about it."

Next up were the slightly craftier Chicago-area reporters, who asked Rodgers during a conference call whether he was "surprised that teams are throwing the ball so well" against the Bears.

Again, the numbers don't lie.

In their nine games, the Bears have allowed five quarterbacks to establish season highs for passing yardage: Tampa Bay's Brian Griese (a career-best 407 yards, two touchdowns), Atlanta rookie Matt Ryan (301 yards, one TD), Minnesota's Gus Frerotte (298 yards, two TDs), Detroit's Dan Orlovsky (292 yards, two TDs) and Tennessee's Kerry Collins (289 yards, two TDs).

Hardly a Murderers Row of signal-callers there, by the way.

But Rodgers again refused to take the bait.

"Now, that's a loaded question there," he said, preparing to give a variation on his answer to the lick-your-chops question. "They're really doing a great job against the run as they showed against Tennessee and when that happens, you've got to try to throw the ball to try to be effective. I think they're playing incredibly well. It's impressive to see those guys. They're doing a great job against the run, and in that case you're going to have to be effective throwing the ball."

While Rodgers was being politically correct, the two men who know the Chicago defense best Bears coach Lovie Smith and middle linebacker Brian Urlacher gave their unvarnished opinions of the pass defense.

"We're just not stopping the pass very well," Urlacher said.

"With how we've played pass defense, I would assume most teams would want to pass just about every time against us," added Smith, whose defense has generated just 17 sacks and only five in the last four games. "We just haven't made enough plays in the passing game. I can't give you a reason why. Sometimes statistics can be a little misleading. We haven't made some plays in key situations, but overall I'm pleased with some of the things we've done on the defensive side.

"To me, you talk about good defense, you're talking about, how are they doing on scoring? And we're 15th in that. Third downs are also important. We're a top-five team on that. You look at takeaways (tied for first in the NFL with 20). We just haven't played the pass well. Hopefully, we can get that taken care of."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy, meanwhile, said in his conference call with Chicago-area media that he'd like his offense to be "balanced," and he wasn't just saying that.

Halfback Ryan Grant has grown increasingly productive 439 of his 625 yards have come in the past five games and the ground game (16 carries, 75 yards) was one of the few offensive bright spots in last Sunday's loss to Minnesota.

That said, if the Bears take the same approach to stopping the run they took against Tennessee putting eight and nine defenders up near the line of scrimmage McCarthy won't be afraid to go pass-heavy in his play-calling.

"How are they going to play us this week? ... Are they going to load the box like you saw a lot of in the Tennessee game? Those are the questions that really will be answered on Sunday," McCarthy said. "The bottom line is scoring points. It's important to run the football because you establish the line of scrimmage, (but) we're going to get the ball in the end zone any way we need possible."
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Since69  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:29:48 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

Well, last week about this time I would have sworn we were going to crush the Viqueens, so I don't feel comfortable making predictions about this Bears game on Sunday. I'll hedge my bets and tone it down a little...

Packers 34, Bears 13
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:33:16 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,044

Since... I think we very well might see the best game of the season come from the Packers this weekend.. if not, I will be truly disappointed overall.

Time to roll boys.

Packers 31 Bears 12.. yep for field goals.. providing Hester doesn't break one off.

I think this defense will be stirred up like a kid just kicked the hive out of the tree... one pissed off bunch.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:44:46 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,892
Applause Received: 2,089

I've always felt that with the Bears games stats were thrown out the window. Nothing you expect or have seen in the past typically happens. It's normally a tough physical game regardless of previous weakness/strength.

Example, we earned half our losses from the Bears last season. (for those who can't figure that out, we lost four games, two of them were to the bears).
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:49:30 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 402

Reading that article, and being a Republican, I just wish we could have done one of those hologram thinga-ma-jigs and got Aaron Rodgers on the podium in the debates instead of John McCain. I still want Rodgers as my quarterback, and well, you know the rest... :thumbleft:

It is time for a shockingly good game from the Pack. I so desperately want to make my second post in the bears forum as obnoxious as is humanly possible... As I had stated in my introduction there, I like to give what I get, and if anyone ever deserved a troll-like response, it is those bears fans.
A nice, total, thorough, unequivocal, scary bad ass-whipping would do wonders for my rhetorical repotoire. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline 4PackGirl  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:50:04 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 153
Applause Received: 124

exactly what i was thinkin zero. their stats are thrown out as well as ours. it's usually a nasty battle. we need the W!
UserPostedImage
Offline gbpfan  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 4:29:02 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

We need this win,and you stop Hester and mike you pretty much have a good game.This should be a win but I said that last week :icon_smile:
blank
Offline Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 5:58:14 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 172
Applause Received: 374

I'm getting tired of getting our butts kicked by a guy named "Lovie". :physassult: :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 6:09:04 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 70

If Childress can beat the Packers, McCarthy can beat the Bears.

Now that Barnett's out, the Big 5 and Chillar can all play. I better see some aggression in this game, or you can write off this season.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline go.pack.go.  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 8:45:21 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
(for those who can't figure that out, we lost four games, two of them were to the bears).

No, actually we lost 3 games, 2 to the bears so that would mean we lost 66.6 percent of our games to them...more than half.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 10:45:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,892
Applause Received: 2,089

(for those who can't figure that out, we lost four games, two of them were to the bears).

No, actually we lost 3 games, 2 to the bears so that would mean we lost 66.6 percent of our games to them...more than half.

Who wants to take this one or should I?

I'll give a hint.
14 - 4
UserPostedImage
Offline tromadz  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:39:20 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

without reading it, 30th in pass YARDS or pass TDs?

I know we get a lot of picks.
Offline obi1  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:48:14 AM(UTC)
obi1

Applause Given: 1

OK rest assured that the Pack will blitz and try to pressure grossman.

This game will hinge on how the Packers stop the Chicago run game.

It is going to be a close one, not unlike the Vikings game. Except that the Packers WIN this one, 23-21
blank
Offline gergobacsi  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:52:25 AM(UTC)
gergobacsi

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

OK rest assured that the Pack will blitz and try to pressure grossman.

I read somewhere that Orton will start. He's better than Rexy.
blank
Offline DGB454  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:45:33 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

NFL Network announced Orton will play. I'm sure he will be a bit gimpy so hopefully we can muster a few sacks.

The problem will be stopping the run and trying to give Rodgers a few seconds to make a play. If the O'line can give him some kind of protection
we should be OK but I have doubts the O'line will step up.

No predictions but I don't feel good about this game.