The_Green_Ninja
7 years ago

All of this is true, and the Packers are and have been a decent team. But even with statistic that show the defense is average, I have zero faith that they will make the big stops against contenders when it matters most. They may be average or above average for most of the game, but when it matters most, I have little faith that the Packers defense will step up, even when healthy. At least against the likes of Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, Cowboys, Drew Brees, etc.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I understand that, but let's go deep into the stats.

Against the Cowboys the Packers were 1/4 in redzone opportunities. 25%! On the other hand, the Packers stopped "great" cowboys offense in 2/4 redzone chances.

Let's establish our offense that game.

Drives that ended in us turning over the ball: 6
Drives that ended in punts: 1
Drives that ended in field goals:3
Drives that ended in TDs: 1

We only had 10 drives. We asked the defense to practically come right back on the field in, in many cases, to stop a Dallas offense that only has 2/3rd of the field to go because of our turnovers.

Our D is fine, but it had a real crappy day this past Sunday due to injuries. If Aaron is really back and this D can get healthy, consider what I have shown. No, it isn't an "elite" defense, but if you give me this D in 2011, we win the Super Bowl.

It all rides on the offense. Like it always has and what it's built around. We just need an above-average D, and this is what it looks like.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Injuries aside it is little disappointing that GB is just "Okay". If we were following Jacksonville, Cleveland or even Da Bares supporting an "Okay" team would be enough. I thought we had standards that were a little higher than that. That was one of the reasons I choice to follow the Green and Gold.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago
We are in great shape because Minny didnt go get a tackle or 2. They are absolutely done!

Gunter has been great and improving; Goodson has been serviceable and he is improving. Clark flashed greatness and is getting better. Martinez, Ryan and Thomas are just good. Perry, Peppers, Fackrell, Jones are all playing really really well.

ON O, Taylor solid. Lacy's ability is what got Mike thinking he could play like Lombardi in the 60's. Taking Lacy from McCarthy is like taking alcohol away from an alcoholic. It was a Lacy oriented game plan that torqued off Rodgers; now Rodgers is working his way out of his funk. Monty/Cobb in the backfield, this is scaring the living crap out of every DC we face. Ripkowski si a weapon. Janis ran a couple of really nice routes v. Atl, Davis too. The Outsiders have Adams as #18, not bad. Nelson needs to take some reps off in practice and a few in games, we need him fresh for playoffs.

Another good thing is that there's only 1 bad thing: Some total dumbass was singing R.Rodgers praises last year; the guy was just WRONG! RRodgers sucks, he cant block and forgot how to catch. Cook will be back.

Oh yea there is another bad thing: Schum. But as this offense improves over the coming weeks, he's not going to get many chances to punt.
DakotaT
7 years ago
I have no idea what we have on offense. We have a pass blocking offensive line and quarterback, who when hot, is the best there is.

What I do know, is that a good defense wouldn't have allowed a team to march the field on them score the winning touchdown like the Falcons did Sunday. There's plenty of work to do, but the NFC is weak this year and right in the thick of things. Hopefully the team can keep the injuries down and the injured players can get healthy.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
7 years ago

Another good thing is that there's only 1 bad thing: Some total dumbass was singing R.Rodgers praises last year; the guy was just WRONG! RRodgers sucks, he cant block and forgot how to catch. Cook will be back.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

This has always been obvious. The guy is the definition of mediocrity. I don't how some didn't see it. Although I must say, I still expect/expected him to do more than he has recently. He should still catch a few more first downs and be a decent red zone target. Perhaps the guy isn't even average at best like I have always thought. He's looking like he could be plain horrible. I bet Spriggs could out-run this guy, and can block better, too.

Smokey
7 years ago

All of this is true, and the Packers are and have been a decent team. But even with statistic that show the defense is average, I have zero faith that they will make the big stops against contenders when it matters most. They may be average or above average for most of the game, but when it matters most, I have little faith that the Packers defense will step up, even when healthy. At least against the likes of Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, Cowboys, Drew Brees, etc.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I agree for the most part with your post. My point is and always has been, that if a wall is painted red , don't call it a blue wall . Inventing a clever story to explain away or excuse young Johnny's stealing/eating the family's Cherry Pie does not change the fact that Johnny stole and ate the family's desert.

In the same manner, using statistics or injured players or the weather or any other carefully woven story to rescue GB from the reality of not having a good defense is much like young Johnny and Cherry Pie. You can argue how or why or who you believe is to blame, but the bottom line is crystal clear. GB's defense can't compete against the leagues better teams.

Now what is the truth ?
The Players give their best on every play. The coaches work hard and do the best they can with the players they are provided with. The truth is that the GM picks the players and the "buck" stops with him.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
This upcoming stretch of away games will be a good test to see where we are. I believe 10 wins gets us the wild card. December should provide adequate drama across the league.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Porforis
7 years ago

I agree for the most part with your post. My point is and always has been, that if a wall is painted red , don't call it a blue wall . Inventing a clever story to explain away or excuse young Johnny's stealing/eating the family's Cherry Pie does not change the fact that Johnny stole and ate the family's desert.

In the same manner, using statistics or injured players or the weather or any other carefully woven story to rescue GB from the reality of not having a good defense is much like young Johnny and Cherry Pie. You can argue how or why or who you believe is to blame, but the bottom line is crystal clear. GB's defense can't compete against the leagues better teams.

Now what is the truth ?
The Players give their best on every play. The coaches work hard and do the best they can with the players they are provided with. The truth is that the GM picks the players and the "buck" stops with him.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I don't necessarily disagree with what you have to say, but how do you define "Competing against the league's better teams" on defense? Restricting them to 14 points or less? 21? 30? 40? Right now against the level-B teams in the league in offense they're hovering around 30 points per game. Doing "Good" in my opinion would be keeping them to below their season average. We didn't do that with Dallas and unless the offense turns into a 2011 monster machine again (which I doubt it will), the Packers need to elevate their game from "Almost good" to something better.

I will say though, and not that this means a damn as far as how good they're playing goes (Much like your argument above), I'd expect them to be doing far worse given the injuries at CB. I think Clay's overrated but it's still a loss. Hopefully once we start getting a few people back or newbies continue to improve, we'll elevate our D to good. This offense should definitely be able to score 30 points+ a game against anything but elite defenses on talent alone and need to (continue) get(ting) their shit together.
Smokey
7 years ago

I don't necessarily disagree with what you have to say, but how do you define "Competing against the league's better teams" on defense? Restricting them to 14 points or less? 21? 30? 40? Right now against the level-B teams in the league in offense they're hovering around 30 points per game. Doing "Good" in my opinion would be keeping them to below their season average. We didn't do that with Dallas and unless the offense turns into a 2011 monster machine again (which I doubt it will), the Packers need to elevate their game from "Almost good" to something better.

I will say though, and not that this means a damn as far as how good they're playing goes (Much like your argument above), I'd expect them to be doing far worse given the injuries at CB. I think Clay's overrated but it's still a loss. Hopefully once we start getting a few people back or newbies continue to improve, we'll elevate our D to good. This offense should definitely be able to score 30 points+ a game against anything but elite defenses on talent alone and need to (continue) get(ting) their shit together.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

IMO, without the stats/excuses/or blame, the Packers are just barely a Wildcard Team that will loose against any other playoff team they will face. They will loose because the Defense can't stop opponents from scoring points .
UserPostedImage
Porforis
7 years ago

IMO, without the stats/excuses/or blame, the Packers are just barely a Wildcard Team that will loose against any other playoff team they will face. They will loose because the Defense can't stop opponents from scoring points .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Hey, look at that. We agree on something! Just hope they get better than they have been playing (at least the offense is tentatively looking up, I'm not sold until I see it for a few more weeks) or that's exactly the fate they'll meet if they even make the playoffs.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.