Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:48:46 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Same article.. Hawk will don the mike from the sideline as well.

Quote:
Hawk and Barnett had been the two defensive players with radio headsets in their helmets, so Hawk, who took over the defensive play-calling duties from Barnett after the injury, expects to do so again against the Bears.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline hosemeoff  
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:15:20 PM(UTC)
hosemeoff

I like the move from a season standpoint, but it will give us two guys playing "new" positions for this crucial bears game. I expect some bad plays from missed assigniments/out of position, but I also expect some big plays since it will give the bears a slightly different defense to prepare for (mainly having Poppinga and Chillar in at the same time). Hopefully the good play/bad play ratio will be a mirror image of Bishop's game last week, i.e. 2 to 1. Either way, I expect heaps of over-reaction on the boards.
blank
Offline TheEngineer  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:25:30 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
before the draft some said Hawk should be an MLB in the NFL because he lacks the straight line speed you want in an OLB. Hawk mainly stayed outside because Barnett refused to play anything other than MLB. Maybe Hawk will get his groove on in this position.

Really? Since when has Barnett refused to switch positions? I've heard otherwise and read contradicting statements to that. or so I thought. Please, refresh my memory here.

I recall Barnett saying something like that also. I think it may have been around the time Hawk was drafted, but I don't really remember. The impression I got was that he wasn't willing to give up his MLB spot, or if he did, he's leaving. But maybe times have changed since then with more recent interviews.
blank
Offline nathaniel  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 1:29:34 PM(UTC)
nathaniel

I miss Hodge.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 2:00:08 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Yes Barnett objected to moving out of the middle.. I think it was right around Ted's arrive or MM's... I believe it was his contract year that he was vocal about it.. not wanting his play to be effected by the move.

Barnett with his speed.. would make a hell of a Wil backer.. plus after a little while I truly believe his numbers would reflect the positive effects of moving outside...
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline warhawk  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 2:10:28 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 215

The reason Barnett did not want to move earlier was because he was looking for a new contract and had he moved over his numbers would have dropped and therefore his bargaining power as well.

I would think the fact that he has now got the new deal it probably no longer matters to him. I can understand his point. He had been the leading tackler for years and then he moves over before the payoff which would have hurt him.

I think at that point in time it was purely business and not so much a selfish attitude thing.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:48:26 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Yes Barnett objected to moving out of the middle.. I think it was right around Ted's arrive or Mike McCarthy's... I believe it was his contract year that he was vocal about it.. not wanting his play to be effected by the move.

Barnett with his speed.. would make a hell of a Wil backer.. plus after a little while I truly believe his numbers would reflect the positive effects of moving outside...

No he didn't. He said he'd do whatever the team asked him to do, however felt his presence would be most strongly felt at MLB opposed to WLB or SLB.

Unless you say that is objecting the move.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#23 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:58:55 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

This is the story I remember.. doesn't sound like a relationship with the Packers would continue, "Lets talk about my future here", more so than willing to move to make the team better... in a contract year.. I understand.

http://www2.jsonline.com...ory/index.aspx?id=481846

Quote:
[size=18]Barnett was adamant that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than middle linebacker[/size], where he has started all but one game over the last three seasons since being drafted with the 29th pick in the first round.

"The only position that I would give 10% thought to is Will (weak-side linebacker)," he said. "But that's not going to happen because we got A.J. (Hawk) at the Will. Honestly, I'd be successful at whatever position they put me in. But I've grown to love that position (Mike)."

Quote:
"I'm balling," Barnett said. "I'm the leader of this team. I'm playing Mike, man. Coach (Mike) McCarthy hasn't come to me to ask me to move. I don't think it will happen. But if you're going to move to Sam after three years in a row let's talk about the future - not just about that position but my future here."

UserPostedImage
Online bozz_2006  
#24 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:59:20 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 12

Unless you say that is objecting the move.

clearly
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#25 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 5:50:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

UserPostedImage

:lol:

UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#26 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 6:04:09 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 70

I miss Hodge.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:03:23 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Zero... no comment eh. :lol:

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:12:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Zero... no comment eh. :lol:
I'm confused, what are you talking about? Comment on what? Oh wait, are you assuming I read every post?

Hang tight, I'll read this thread from the top and see what the hell I missed.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#29 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:20:16 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

This is the story I remember.. doesn't sound like a relationship with the Packers would continue, "Lets talk about my future here", more so than willing to move to make the team better... in a contract year.. I understand.

http://www2.jsonline.com...ory/index.aspx?id=481846

Quote:
[size=18]Barnett was adamant that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than middle linebacker[/size], where he has started all but one game over the last three seasons since being drafted with the 29th pick in the first round.

"The only position that I would give 10% thought to is Will (weak-side linebacker)," he said. "But that's not going to happen because we got A.J. (Hawk) at the Will. Honestly, I'd be successful at whatever position they put me in. But I've grown to love that position (Mike)."

Quote:
"I'm balling," Barnett said. "I'm the leader of this team. I'm playing Mike, man. Coach (Mike) McCarthy hasn't come to me to ask me to move. I don't think it will happen. But if you're going to move to Sam after three years in a row let's talk about the future - not just about that position but my future here."

Gosh its funny how one can read a quote with bias so it fits their theory. Maybe I should try that sometime. Wait, no, I prefer being objective and will continue to take HIS word as concrete. But go ahead and take his comments any which way you want. Just forget about the context of them and the constant barrage of comments saying he should move to the outside in favor of Hodge at MLB. Because I'm sure he's never told anyone that he was a little ticked off by someone coming in and potentially taking his position away. NAH!!! Let's jus take an excerpt and add some flavor to it.

There I commented on it. Now what? I'll tell you what. I'm going back to my game of Madden so I can throw TWO more damn INT's to those stupid ass Jaguars who are whooping my freaking ass!
UserPostedImage
Offline brnt247  
#30 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:59:33 PM(UTC)
brnt247

I mean, I don't see how anyone was taking his words out of context. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere but middle and he could possibly think about weak side but he doesn't think it would happen anyway.

Whether or not he would accept a move won't be decided until that day comes. Talk is cheap until the actions need to be made. I don't see him and his alpha male leader of the defense ego giving up the spot he's had since he was drafted. Maybe that's just me though.
blank
Rss Feed