steveishere
8 years ago
Both tackles were bad last night. Luckily the big 3 in the middle held up so Rodgers always had somewhere to step up to and a way to escape.
RainX
8 years ago
Rodgers can compensate for any flaws in Barclay by seeing what's happening at RT. It's his blindside where Bakhtiari is key on keep Aaron on his feet. Barclay wasn't flawless last night, but for a guy coming off a pretty serious knee injury last year, had a pretty bad early preseason, and was on the verge of getting cut, I thought he was more than serviceable last night for getting his first extended action of the season. Seattle is by no means a slouch on the defensive line.

Next week is going to be a tough test with KC's front seven on the road. I'm not too worried about the running game if Lacy misses a few games with a bum tire as Starks has shown he can carry most of the RB snaps, but if the offensive line doesn't play any worse than they did tonight, they've got a decent shot. I'm sure if Barclay struggles next week or at any point, Mike McCarthy won't hesitate to put Walker in.
blank
Barfarn
8 years ago

Yeah, Barclay was still pretty bad, imo. Aaron Rodgers was the only reason Barclay looked serviceable. A healthy Rodgers is just that good. Sitton, Linsley, and Lang are as good as advertised, though. How nice is it that the Packers have a rock solid interior line? I hope Bulaga can come back soon!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I try to be objective; but often wonder, even about myself, how evaluations would change if we lost. Barclay giving ground causing Aaron Rodgers to run for his life, seems so much more acceptable when we win....LOL So you might be correct.

Ever since Z2C said PFF credited Janis w/ that pick 6 v. Philly, I realized they go some real talented and observant people doing these evaluations, not some high school kids trying to earn a few bucks from their mama's basements. But unless they have 15-20 guys doing each team's evaluation how could the get accurate grades out on every Packer player in 12 hours?
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
What should our expectations be against two of the best edge rushers?

"Pressured on 18 of his 39 dropbacks Rodgers threw both of his touchdowns on pressured dropbacks earning a PFF passing grade of +2.3 on his plays under pressure."

I sometimes wonder about some of their grading. How was Rodgers pressured on both those TDs, First was a busted play because of the offsides and the second, both tackles held the edge enough for Rodgers to be able to setup up into the pocket. If those are pressures QBs get pressured on almost every drop back.

According to my eye test, they held their own pretty well against a very good defensive pass rush.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
8 years ago
This just shows how important a healthy Aaron Rodgers is. His mobility saved the day over and over again.
UserPostedImage
OlHoss1884
8 years ago

Now if you could say something nice about Raji.........šŸ¤£

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

"He ran well for a fat man" --Ty Cobb
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Barfarn
8 years ago
Barclay was given 10 pressures from PFF and 2 from McGuinn, whoā€™s right? Answer neither!

We all know what a sack and a hit are; but a hurry is a little more subjective and not definitively defined. To me a QB hurry occurs when a defender either forces a quarterback out of the pocket or causes the QB to throw early. Some define it as when the QB is forced to move in the pocket and some may have a different standard.

After looking more empirically I now have to say Steve, Dodd and Z2C were right or at least closer to it šŸ˜‚, Barclay did not have a good night. But I feel very strongly that Barclay is still improving with reps and gaining confidence in that knee. In 40 snaps in which the Packers were set to throw Barclay had:

6 Pressures
11 B Grades
9 No Grade [Passes that were too quick to allow a rush and/or Barclay pretended to be run blocking].
4 C grades [What Iā€™d expect an average tackle to do against the competition]
6 C- grades [giving up a little too much ground, but not so much as to affect the play]

There were 4 plays not counted above where Avril rushed upfield tried to come around backside of Barclay and Barclay pushed him past and beyond AR. Aaron Rodgers knowing Avril and whatever mess Baktieiri was leaving was to his left and he casually drifted to his right. This may account for PFFā€™s other 4 pressures; but to me Avrilā€™s actions didnā€™t force Aaron Rodgers out of the pocket at all, Aaron Rodgers could have stayed in the pocket or stepped up in the pocket. Of these 4 plays Iā€™d give 2 a C+ [Barclay looked a little off balance but effectively pushed Avril out of the play] and 2 Bā€™s [Barclay solidly road Avril even with Aaron Rodgers and pushed him the rest of the way]. He didnā€™t get an A because he didnā€™t ride him past AR.

2 of the B grades [B+ to be exact] came on stunts. He picked up Bennett playing DT and Rubin very nicely.

2 of the B Grades came from blocking C.Marsh, so given the competition those maybe should have been C to C+.

And 2 B grades he got when getting help, this usually reduces the grade; but I donā€™t think the help helped very much. So maybe these could be Cs as well.

He blocked Bennett 3 times; Marsh 6; Rubin 1 and the rest Avril.

He had help from Lang 4 times, Lacy 1 and Starks 1.
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I still think we should get Joe Thomas!!! šŸ˜ [cheers]
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
luigis
8 years ago
I think my friendss barfan and PackerWithTwins are right, there's somethng fishy in the PFF evaluation.

I think the problem is that PFF is counting pressures in plays where Rodgers is on the move and the tackles let the pressure come. If you are seriously evaluating their job you can't count a pressure when they are just doing their assignment.

So while I hate McGinn I think he got it better than PFF.

Now besides PFF and McGinn what I saw was a clever design by the Packers to use our tackles strength and weaknesses. In my always debatable opinion Barclay played a very good game, he was clearly focused in pass protection so he wasn't as good as he usually is in run support. Bakthiari is having some struggles when he is 1 on 1 and the line pulls right so he was the weakest link against Seattle.

My OL report card was:

Barclay: B
Lang: A+
Linsley: A+/A- he had a couple of high snaps and a penalty but he was superb with the hard count
Sitton: A
Bakthiari: C+

PS: I also have twins!
Luis
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? šŸ„ŗ I think that means you missed more than half of them šŸ˜¢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead šŸ¤Ŗ
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.