Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline flep  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:25:41 PM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Thanks for the replies so far.

I did state in my original post that there is no way the Packers would ever give up a home game and I would never ever, ever want them to.

There has been talk of a 17 or 18 game season by losing 2 preseason games.

With a 17 game season the 17th game would be an international game with no team being the designated home team, against an opposite conference team who finished in the same position in their repsective division the season prior.

The NFL had 6 preseason games in Wembley from 1986 onwards but fan attendence wained nearer the end when the UK fans realised that preseason games are not the real thing.

I went to the Giants - Dolphins game last year and over 80,000 attended. This year over 83,000 were there. 70,000 plus were from the UK not the US. Last year the first 40,000 tickets sold out in 90 minutes this year was even quicker.

We do understand the rules of the game (heck I even payed it for 6 years). It has been shown on TV in the UK for the past 26 years and has an ever growing fan base.

It cost for 3 tickets, travel to and from and a stay in a London hotel for 2 nights for myself, wife and son 350 approx $600. A lot cheaper than a flight for 1 to the states for a game. Just a chance to see a real meaningful NFL game meant everything to me.

So to see the Pack would be a defining moment in my life. And as I have said I would kill for tickets.

San Diego played an away game in Buffalo and instead of flying back to San Diego and then to New Orleans just flew on to London from Buffalo so their travelling was not too interupted.

It has not been noticed as well that last year and this, and also next year the 2 participating teams have their bye week the week after the game so jet lag is not an issue.

The game is becoming truly global and it would be wonderful to accept that.

I LOVE the Packers and to see a regular season game in my own country would enable me to die a happy man.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:35:24 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,026
Applause Received: 1,464

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I understand the desire for English and European Packer fans want to see them play 1st hand but I personally would not like to see them play a regular season game over there. Preseason (week 1-2) would be fine.

The problem with that would most likely be the same as with the NFL Europe. We have the best soccer players, Hockey players etc. in Europe. No one wants to earn their hard-earned money on meaningless games and third string players, apart from some die-hard fans. Because, although it might be getting slightly more popular here, there still are alot of people that think it's Rugby with helmets or 11 fat men running and hitting eachother.

Now I won't say this won't draw any attention, but I don't see people coming from all across the country to see a pre-season games. Also, alot of these people coming to this current Wembley games seem to be American. I don't see them travelling half the world for a pre-season match.

What would be handy is to put the game in front of a bye week, so the players could get some rest after the game. In soccer, although less physical, they have 2 games a week from time to time, because of the Champions League that's running at the same time as the national competitions. Soccer is 2 x 45 minutes of running and, as a soccer player myself for 6 years, that can make you quite sore. Yet, they're ready again.

Maybe it's not totally comparable, since you have the yet-lag, and the one day less of practice, but having an extra game in the middle of a season....

Rock you are right. Most fans will not care for a preseason game as it is meaningless more or less.
I am saying for them to fly over and back does take something out of the players. Sure they are young and can bounce back fairly quick. Both New Orleans and San Diego had their bye week after the game. I am sure it helps but still takes a toll. There is such a fine line between success and failure at the professional level (any professional sport.) I don't want to give away an advantage to the other teams that do not have to make the long trip.
Heck I hate it when GB has to play an away game after a Monday nite game. I also don't like the Thursday games either.

UserPostedImage

Offline flep  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:43:49 PM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Just one point

The Giants played at Wembley last season and won it all.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline EnglishCheese  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:25:59 PM(UTC)
EnglishCheese

Yes Yes Yes

I have been to Green Bay twice and it takes a long time to save enough for those trips. So the thought of only travelling 50 miles to see the Green n Gold. I would do anything to get a ticket for that as would many thousands of Packer fans over here.

Maybe a couple of years time (preferably when we've managed to get a run defence !).
Go Packers ( &amp; Leeds United !)
Offline go.pack.go.  
#20 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:47:34 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

As long as it is an away game, I think it's an advantage. If it is a home game then it's a huge disadvantage.

You only get 8 home games and if it was a home game then you'd be screwed out of one.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 12:01:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

At this very point, I could care less where.. North Pole, but I want to see this team play a complete game.. period.

Mental mistakes gone and fundamentals sound.. don't beat yourself.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 11:20:00 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 272

I would be okay with an away game in London

My cousin Alan and his wife Maggie form England made it a point, on their visit to Upper Michigan, to make their 1st stop after getting off the plane in Chicago, at Lambeau Field to buy Packer paraphenalia.

Alan was a huge Packer fan until his passing and I know he would be very excited oabout the Packers playing in London.
Offline Pack93z  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 2:06:29 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

It would be a huge disruption on the season overall.. taking the team out of a normal weekly routine and add fatigue to the season.. that would be the hesitation.

But it would be a absolute treat to share this team with the fans abroad.. for that reason.. I would like to see it.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline alldaybaby  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 3:41:31 PM(UTC)
alldaybaby

i didn't relise there was an english packer fan here ...cool
i went to the giants / dolphins game last year and couldn't get a ticket to this years game , just my effing luck i end up going to the mudfest and miss a classic , i for one would go to the game , even though i'm a viking fan , i'd go even if it was the lions i just want a team from the nfc north to come over , next years game looks good , but i dread to think what the english media is going to make of bellichick and grudgen hardly the two most media friendly guys in the league
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \&quot;I\&#039;ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\&#039;s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \&quot;
Offline GermanGilbert  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 7:28:05 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 37
Applause Received: 87

in 2009 the buccs will host the patriots on oct 25th at wembley, so we have to wait at least another year ;)
blank
Offline obi1  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 11:04:25 PM(UTC)
obi1

Applause Given: 1

THIS team?

Ok, how about we have them play the Manchester United in a softball game?
blank
Offline PresterJohn  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:56:58 PM(UTC)
PresterJohn

hey i'd love to see the Packers over here in the UK for a regular season game. Totally understand the reluctance to play a home game in London but if it does happen we'll do our best to make it a Lambeau mk 2. Better an away game tho :)

I think the NFl needs better marketting and a regular *good* terrestrial slot this side of the pond...UK peeps know i mean coverage not just on sky (sundays) or 5 - late match mondays. The early matches on Sunday would be great viewing for the beeb. Even a decent magazine program would be appreciated.
memento mori
Offline alldaybaby  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:01:27 AM(UTC)
alldaybaby

hey i'd love to see the Packers over here in the UK for a regular season game. Totally understand the reluctance to play a home game in London but if it does happen we'll do our best to make it a Lambeau mk 2. Better an away game tho :)

I think the NFl needs better marketting and a regular *good* terrestrial slot this side of the pond...UK peeps know i mean coverage not just on sky (sundays) or 5 - late match mondays. The early matches on Sunday would be great viewing for the beeb. Even a decent magazine program would be appreciated.

if you live in the U.K and have skysports , i'd say we get much better coverage than they do in the US , i'd say total aceess is about the best magazine program there is and we get that , in fact it starts in half an hour o.k its one day later but we still get it , where a large number of households in the US don't , we also get all the NFL Network games , plus a chice of games on sundays , i also believe that isn't the case overthere, i honestly don't see what there is to complain about , its a shame that NASN pulled out from the NFL coverage because we used to get alot of the ESPN coverage on there too like NFL countdown
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \&quot;I\&#039;ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\&#039;s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \&quot;
Offline PresterJohn  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:54:58 AM(UTC)
PresterJohn

Fine if you've got Sky, i don't and many others don't. I can get Sky Sports for a hefty fee on my Cable.If you want to expand the fan base in the UK it needs to go out on Terrestrial TV, like it did back in the day on Channel 4
memento mori
Offline Rockmolder  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:17:27 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 155
Applause Received: 258

It's never on here either, I've seen one game in my entire life on regular cable TV... the Seahawks - Steelers superbowl.

It's kind of a vicious circle atm. The game isn't very well known and/or popular so it doesn't get alot of time on time. No one finds out about it and the game doesn't get more popular.

Internet seems to be changing that though, never knew there where this much other non-American people that liked the sport.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed