RaiderPride
15 years ago
I was never happy Grant got his Pay day. Infact I did not want him to even get an extension until he proved himself this year. Chico is a totally different situation in my eyes.

As for the furit fly. Just ignore it.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
tromadz
15 years ago
Wait, people are complaining about this? You've got to be FUCKING kidding me. Some of you people disgust me.

-We get a talented young QB for six years locked up.
-And in Ted Thompson fashion, we didn't get taken advantage of by a greedy agent.

GO Packers...

and some of you people can just GO away...
15 years ago

whewwww i'm safe i said the same thing that the player needs more than 7 or 8 games to get the big money, make them prove it for 2-3 years first.

"mattresell" wrote:

I think everyone would agree that would be the ideal scenario, but it doesn't necessarily apply to Aaron because of his current contract situation. We essentially had 3 options:

1) Extend him this week so we could count money against this year's cap.
2) Wait to see how he plays for the whole year and extend him in the offseason.
3) Let him walk at the end of '09 or try to re-sign him then.

Option 3 is probably the least preferable. If you want to bring Aaron back, it doesn't make sense to let him hit free agency and then compete in abidding war with other teams. Option 2 makes some sense, but then you lose the ability to use this year's cap room. And, really, why wait another 9 games? Management has had 3.5 years to evaluate this kid in practice and on the field. If they don't have a feel for what they think he can do by know, they would be considered incompetent. Aaron's not likely to show them anything they don't know over the next 9 games. That's why I think locking him now was the best decision.

NOTE: I purposely didn't include an extension midway through next season as option 4. Typically, if a player is 8 games away from free agency, the risk of injury is low enough that they'd be better off testing the market to maximize their value.

"dhazer" wrote:

Good points. Also, a young franchise QB is not easy to find. If you even THINK you have a good one, you lock him up. You don't wait for a "few years" to see if he keeps producing, and let him hit the FA market.

I don't even want to go back and read the last few pages of this thread to see who was complaining and why.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
15 years ago
Not necessarily a bad move. I think he's shown enough to warrant an extension. Would have liked to see more of him before doing it but we can count a lot of his money against this years wasted unsused cap space makes it kind of a bargain. I think he will play better now that he's got some green in his pocket. He should feel comfortable like its his team for real.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Greg C.
15 years ago
In my opinion, what a lot of fans don't get is that being a good GM is not about waiting for players to prove themselves and then signing them. If that was the case, ANYBODY could be a good GM. What distinguishes the best GM's from the also-rans is the ability to run out ahead of the crowd, anticipating which players are on the cusp of being very good or even great, and then acquiring them and locking them up with long-term contracts.

In spite of all the criticism Ted Thompson gets for being conservative and boring, he is actually pretty bold--but in a way that many fans tend to overlook because they are stuck in this mind-set where they think it's all about drafting well-known players from big schools and signing big-name free agents.
blank
beast
15 years ago

In spite of all the criticism Ted Thompson gets for being conservative and boring, he is actually pretty bold--but in a way that many fans tend to overlook because they are stuck in this mind-set where they think it's all about drafting well-known players from big schools and signing big-name free agents.

"Greg C." wrote:

Completely agree.

And he plays it smart more than not unlike other GMs.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
Those of you who wanted to see more of him... Jesus.

Lest we forget.

You would have seen more of him. But there was one former player who did not want that to happen. If fact, he tried to stop it from happening this frickin year.

There were so many games in the last two years where this team was well ahead late in the game and young Aaron should have got snaps but did not because the team was afraid to upset GOD. And GOD did not want to give up a single snap for the sake of developing anyone who was playing the same position as GOD.

I find it amazing that Chico is playing so well with out those opportunities. He was hand-cuffed, his development would be even greater if he would have had more opportunities.

But the kid has, overcome, adapted, and achieved.

He already has earned some of that money with his attitude and fortitude.

Finally. Ted and Mike had the brass balls to say... Enough is enough.

I am sure God can not sleep tonight knowing the contract Chico was given, and that lack of sleep will effect GOD's game tomorrow.

Gotta Run... I have to call my bookie and put some money on the BILL's Minus 5 points.

I think the over/under on Interceptions for the Jet's is 2. I am taking the over on picks, and The Bills minus 5
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
longtimefan
15 years ago

they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.

"dhazer" wrote:

Stop with the freaking 4-3..

you know FULL well that the record is not ALL his fault..

BF always said that it takes lot more then just the q/b to win a game..

so why not just look at how he has done on the field, in the class room, and helping the coaches in the last 3 years preparing game plans..

And bringing BF up to speed on Mike McCarthy playbook when Mike McCarthy 1st got here and Brett didnt come to the q/b schools
RaiderPride
15 years ago

they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.

"longtimefan" wrote:

Stop with the freaking 4-3..

you know FULL well that the record is not ALL his fault..

Brett Favre always said that it takes lot more then just the q/b to win a game..

so why not just look at how he has done on the field, in the class room, and helping the coaches in the last 3 years preparing game plans..

And bringing Brett Favre up to speed on Mike McCarthy playbook when Mike McCarthy 1st got here and Brett didnt come to the q/b schools

"dhazer" wrote:

Good point L.T. +1

I forgot about the Coaching Asron had to do, when GOD would not go to QB School.

So factor in delayed coaches pay in that Re-UP Chico just signed.
dfosterf
15 years ago
I think this deal... all considered... is a bargain. Thank you Ted, thank you Aaron. Right time, right place.