sschind
8 years ago

When a franchise icon( could be anyone of them) goes in the HOF do you :

A. Go and represent the brand because hey that will be you someday and it's the right thing to do.
B. Go golfing and blow it off as no big deal.

Originally Posted by: wideside 

Actually B should read attend a charity golf outing that you had previously made a commitment to be at. There is a huge difference between doing that and waking up the morning of the induction ceremony and saying "it's such a nice day today you know what, screw Favre I'm going to go play golf" That's what you are making it sound like. You, and so many others are trying to make this into a personal Rodgers vs. Favre thing and it simply isn't.

Isn't living up to your commitments (NFL contracts not withstanding) something we teach our children is a desirable trait. Again, as so many have pointed out, this is a celebration for Brett Favre. It would be wonderful if Rodgers and every other former Packer player showed up to say way to go Brett but if they don't, its no big deal.

I wish I could be there. I was going to buy tickets but I was not expecting them to be sold out so quickly. I am still contemplating going up to Green Bay just to be there for the event but unless I can find a ticket for 4-5 bucks I won't be attending the ceremony itself. I think this is going to be an event something just short of the superbowl in Green Bay. So many haters think it will be a huge boo-fest but I think the standing ovation he will get will rival any in sports and you will have to have some pretty damned good super hearing to pick out any boos from the crowd. If I am wrong I will consider it the first time I would ever be embarrassed to call myself a Packer fan.

And now that I read your choice A again I can see that this is the perfect reason for him not to be there. This is a special event for the Packers and Favre. It should be attended by people who want to be there and are not just representing the brand. I can't think of a bigger slap in the face for anyone than having their special event attended by someone not because they want to be there but because they think it is expected of them. Not even "is expected of them" but "they think it is expected of them" Is there any bigger ego than thinking "hey, this is Brett Favre's event. I need to be there"
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Actually B should read attend a charity golf outing that you had previously made a commitment to be at. There is a huge difference between doing that and waking up the morning of the induction ceremony and saying "it's such a nice day today you know what, screw Favre I'm going to go play golf" That's what you are making it sound like. You, and so many others are trying to make this into a personal Rodgers vs. Favre thing and it simply isn't.

Isn't living up to your commitments (NFL contracts not withstanding) something we teach our children is a desirable trait. Again, as so many have pointed out, this is a celebration for Brett Favre. It would be wonderful if Rodgers and every other former Packer player showed up to say way to go Brett but if they don't, its no big deal.

I wish I could be there. I was going to buy tickets but I was not expecting them to be sold out so quickly. I am still contemplating going up to Green Bay just to be there for the event but unless I can find a ticket for 4-5 bucks I won't be attending the ceremony itself. I think this is going to be an event something just short of the superbowl in Green Bay. So many haters think it will be a huge boo-fest but I think the standing ovation he will get will rival any in sports and you will have to have some pretty damned good super hearing to pick out any boos from the crowd. If I am wrong I will consider it the first time I would ever be embarrassed to call myself a Packer fan.

And now that I read your choice A again I can see that this is the perfect reason for him not to be there. This is a special event for the Packers and Favre. It should be attended by people who want to be there and are not just representing the brand. I can't think of a bigger slap in the face for anyone than having their special event attended by someone not because they want to be there but because they think it is expected of them. Not even "is expected of them" but "they think it is expected of them" Is there any bigger ego than thinking "hey, this is Brett Favre's event. I need to be there"

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I'm sorry...Aaron getting a free pass because it's a charity golf thing is ludicrous. Favre's enshrinement date has been known for a long time. I have no doubt this golf deal was scheduled with full knowledge it would conflict with HOF inductions. Send Lynn Dickey, Majic, Randy Wright, Blair Kiel, Rich Campbell, Anthony Dilweg, Doug Pederson, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell...that should make up for Aaron's absence.

It's sad games have to be played for PR reasons. If you don't like the guy you don't like the guy and stop pretending for the masses sake. It's a joke. I feel sorry for ANYONE who would get any kind of pleasure from knowing Rodgers attended. Why should that do a thing for you one way or the other?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
8 years ago

I'm sorry...Aaron getting a free pass because it's a charity golf thing is ludicrous. Favre's enshrinement date has been known for a long time. I have no doubt this golf deal was scheduled with full knowledge it would conflict with HOF inductions. Send Lynn Dickey, Majic, Randy Wright, Blair Kiel, Rich Campbell, Anthony Dilweg, Doug Pederson, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell...that should make up for Aaron's absence.

It's sad games have to be played for PR reasons. If you don't like the guy you don't like the guy and stop pretending for the masses sake. It's a joke. I feel sorry for ANYONE who would get any kind of pleasure from knowing Rodgers attended. Why should that do a thing for you one way or the other?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So what were the exact dates of the announcement of the date of the Favre event and the exact date Rodgers accepted the golf event? You must know because you have no doubt. Yes Favre's date was known for a long time but charity events don't just spring up overnight. I was involved with one for several years and we sometimes had commitments a year or more in advance. We even had standing commitments for many years.

It may well be that Rodgers accepted the golf event knowing it conflicted with the Favre event but who the hell cares. Like I said I don't think Rodgers is under any special obligations to be there. It is not his event. I'm sure he will do a damn sight more for the charity event than he would for Favre's ceremony. It would appear many fans would get some sort of pleasure if Rodgers attended or they wouldn't be making such a big deal over it. I'm sure Favre doesn't care one way or another. As far as sending those other players yeah, I'm sure it would be the same. I'm sure all those people attended the Gilligans Island reunion events were just as happy to see the Professor as Mary Ann, or even Ginger.

I'm not sure what games you think are being played by whom or who is pretending to like someone in your scenario above. Is Rodgers pretending to like Favre? It wouldn't appear so since he is not attending his HOF induction ceremony. Is Favre pretending to like Rodgers? Because, although we have not heard his reaction to this news, I don't think it will bother him too much.

Maybe you are just upset that Favre is getting so much love from Packers fans and you don't like it because you don't like him. Its just another example of your contrarian attitude, though you do have lots of company on this one. Sometimes I wonder if you pick and choose your arguments just so you can go against the grain.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Sigh.... you missed the point.

He is the leader of the franchise for lack of a better term when you are in a leadership position then sometimes you are expected to attend certain functions.

Put Favre and Rodgers relationship to the side.... got it? Fantastic.

When a franchise icon( could be anyone of them) goes in the HOF do you :

A. Go and represent the brand because hey that will be you someday and it's the right thing to do.
B. Go golfing and blow it off as no big deal.

To me it's not about Favre. It's about being a leader and doing the right thing. Time to stop acting like the 20 something golden boy and settle down a hair.

As for the media Z2C he consented to the ESPN interview and could have answered in a variety of ways.

He walked into this poo storm knowing full well his choice of not going could stir the pot.

OK done... sorry

Originally Posted by: wideside 

This is for Favre's teammates that played with him on the field far more than the current Packers roster. The Antonio Freeman, Sean Jones, LeRoy Butler, etc... those are who this should be shared with. Aaron respects this and if the media weren't so stupid, he'd have stated as such, but he knows the moment he says it wouldn't be his place to attend, the freaking internet morons would blow up saying AARON HATES BRETT because for lazy moron journalists it's easiest thing to sell ... negativity!

In case you didn't notice, I have a strong dislike of the media portraying things for a story, rather than for accuracy.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

Had Favre been a wire to wire Packer I would agree with the above post. He's a Minnesota Vikings QB...that is where he wanted to be so that's how I view him, so why would Aaron be there for a guy who wanted to and did finish his playing career for another team?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Same could be said for Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau.

Yeah, I know it's not apples to apples. Yeah, Favre going to the vikings was a slap in the face. But what he did for the team easily outweighs it for me, especially with the epic fashion in which he screwed the Vikings on his way out.
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
The way I see it Brett got pushed out of GB. At that point I expect him to try and put himself in the best position he can, not a big deal. I just wish Ted Thompson would have traded(fleeced) him to the Queens right away for two #1 picks or more!!! :)

As far as Aaron and Brett's ceremony, under the circumstances, no big deal either. But I don't think the press will let it at that.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.