Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
More "no stones" unturned in his approach.. glad to see they are focusing on the hammy's.. league wide seems to be an issue.. with year round work, one would think this would be less of an issue.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/311537 

GREEN BAY For all the X-and-O self-scouting Mike McCarthy got out of the bye week whether certain tendencies emerged from his use of formations and personnel groupings on offense and defense, plus patterns in his own play-calling perhaps the most valuable realization came when the Green Bay Packers coach took a long look at the medical department.[img_r]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/384604.jpg[/img_r]

As vital as the week off was for getting a number of players healthy, McCarthy also felt the need to use the time to examine any possible causes for the multiple injuries that contributed to the team's 4-3 start and try to find ways to decrease the likelihood of more during the rest of the regular season.

His findings?

"There's so many different things that factored into that, it was not just one thing we could say, 'Hey, we need to fix that,'" McCarthy said before Monday's back-to-basics in-pads practice, which focused on fundamentals. He spent 15 minutes of his pre-practice team meeting discussing health issues with his players as well.

But while McCarthy didn't invent a new way to prevent injuries, he and the medical staff are targeting one muscle in particular: The hamstring.

"We've had a lot this year, and it seems like even around the league, a lot of guys are going down with hamstrings," safety Atari Bigby said. "It must be something in the water."

With 10 players having been sidelined by hamstrings this season (running backs Ryan Grant and Kregg Lumpkin, safeties Charlie Peprah, Aaron Rouse and Bigby, defensive linemen Ryan Pickett and Jason Hunter, left tackle Chad Clifton, linebacker Danny Lansanah and Tory Humphrey), McCarthy isn't taking the injury lying down.

Not only is he increasing pre-practice and pre-game stretching periods from 6 minutes to 10, he's also having the training and strength/conditioning staffs look for ways to keep players' muscles warmer during their in-and-out action during games, since most of the muscle strains have happened on game-days.

"I took a good 15 minutes, went through the whole medical history of where we've been in the past, where we are today," said McCarthy, whose team plays at Tennessee on Sunday. "We looked at all (injuries), (but) any time you have a statistic that stands out like that (hamstring) one does," it has to be addressed.

As for pre-existing injuries, McCarthy received mostly encouraging news from team doctor Pat McKenzie. Only four players Hunter (hamstring), Lansanah (hamstring), Charles Woodson (toe) and quarterback Aaron Rodgers (throwing shoulder) were held out of practice, and Rodgers was able to do some light throwing during the jog-through period. No one else was held out of practice for medical reasons.

"I definitely feel better," said Rodgers, who dislocated his right shoulder at Tampa Bay Sept. 28 and focused solely on treatment rather than rehabilitation exercises during the bye week. "I took pretty much the whole week off from strenuous stuff on my shoulder. It feels better, definitely, just lobbing throws today it felt better than it has. I'm not quite headed down the homestretch yet. But it's close."

McCarthy said he'd like Rodgers to throw during two of the week's remaining three practices, but he's "going to let Dr. McKenzie drive that car."

Bigby (hamstring), wide receiver James Jones (knee), Pickett (knee, triceps) and cornerback Al Harris (spleen) all practiced Monday, and all four classified the time off as beneficial. Jones, who's been in and out of action since injuring his knee Aug. 22, was the only one of the four who stayed in town for treatment.

"I didn't need to go home that bad. I'm more focused on getting healthy and helping this team and do what I can to help this team win," Jones said. "I just wanted to get my knee stronger (during the bye) so when I do fall on it, hopefully it's strong enough to take that impact."

Pickett said he felt "the best I've felt this season," while Bigby, out since Sept. 14, said he hoped to regain his starting job from Rouse after missing the past five games.

"When they call my name, I go in there," Bigby said. "Whether they're going to make me the starter or the backup or whatever, that's out of my hands."

The return of Harris, initially thought to be lost for the season when he lacerated his spleen Sept. 21 against Dallas, would provide a big lift to an improving defense coming off its most impressive performance of the season Oct. 19 against Indianapolis.

Harris, who after missing the first four games of his NFL career said he is "just counting my blessings," didn't know what his role would be against the Titans because "I've never really been in this situation before, so I don't know how it goes." McCarthy suggested Harris could initially return in a backup capacity, or could start.

"The week's work will answer that question," McCarthy said. "It would be great to have Al out there starting, but I'm only going to put him out there when he's ready.

"I said last week standing here, I thought this was a very good time for a bye week for us. We needed to get healthy, and it looks like we've achieved that on most fronts."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gbpfan
15 years ago
i'm glad they are making the the guys do a little more with the stretching that may help allot in the games :icon_smile:
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (20h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.