porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
Last Sunday Green Bay improved its record to 5-2 on the season, defeating the Carolina Panthers 38-17 in front of a sold-out crowd at Lambeau Field.

The Packers jumped on the Panthers early, scoring on their opening drive when quarterback Aaron Rodgers found receiver Jordy Nelson for a 59-yard touchdown. It was the third time this season that Rodgers connected with Nelson on a score of 50 or more yards.

The Panthers couldn’t generate any offense in the first half. Green Bay took advantage of their poor tackle situation, and wreaked havoc on quarterback Cam Newton. Linebacker Julius Peppers had 1.5 sacks, his single-game best as a Packer.

As the offense continues to operate at a high level, the responsibility falls on the defense to develop into a viable partner. Since the awful showing in 2011, Green Bay’s defense has gone through good and bad spurts. The current outlook is positive, but they've been in this situation before. In fact, last year's defense allowed about 276 yards per game in the month of October. Then the injuries hit.

Perhaps I’m knocking on wood, but the regular-season is nearly half over, and the Packers have avoided significant injuries. Staying healthy is crucial, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

The Packers are a dangerous NFC contender if they remain healthy, and the good defensive spurts become the norm.

Turning Point

Rodgers and coach Mike McCarthy clearly knew how to attack the Panthers because of their familiarity with Carolina's cover-2 defense, which is the same defense Chicago ran under former coach Lovie Smith. The Pack relied on their running game early. Establishing the run forced the linebackers and safeties to hesitate, allowing Rodgers to exploit them with play action. The game itself was never in doubt, so there was never a moment on Sunday where it could potentially turn. Simply put, this game turned mid-week when McCarthy implemented his game plan.

Unsung Hero

Running backs Eddie Lacy and James Starks averaged 5.2 yards per carry, thanks to a strong effort from the offensive line. The entire line deserves credit for bouncing back following a tough outing in Miami. The right side of the line particularly played well. As a tandem, tackle Bryan Bulaga and guard T.J. Lang played their best game.

Stud of the Game

Any worries concerning receiver Randall Cobb’s long-term status with the team has quelled. The fourth-year receiver caught six passes for 121 yards and a touchdown last Sunday. He was terrific after the catch, using his quickness to make defenders miss in the open field. Cobb and receiver Jordy Nelson have at least one touchdown in four consecutive games.

Looking Ahead

On Fox’s NFL pregame show, studio host Curt Menefee proclaimed that the six best teams in football are beginning to distinguish themselves from the rest of the field.

The six teams Menefee cited were Arizona, Dallas, Denver, New England, Philadelphia and San Diego. Two of them loss on Sunday.

The omissions of Baltimore, Green Bay, and Indianapolis surprised me. The Colts and Packers have elite quarterbacks while Baltimore has a good, well-rounded team.

Based on the results of last week, there is no elite team in the NFL. Maybe Denver can stake claim to the top spot, as they have impressive victories over Arizona and San Francisco. However, both wins were at home.

Clearly, the Packers are among the top under-the-radar teams. That may change next week, as Green Bay travels to New Orleans for a matchup with the Saints on NBC’s Sunday Night Football. The Saints (2-4) are coming off a tough 24-23 loss to Detroit, a game they led at the two-minute warning.

Football is a game of matchups, and the Packers matchup very well with the Saints. New Orleans’ defense is struggling. Their secondary is reeling and their pass rush is non-existent. Green Bay will score points, putting pressure on Saints quarterback Drew Brees to match them.

Brees is among the best quarterbacks in football. His pocket presence is remarkable and he uses his eyes as well as any quarterback does. He’ll challenge the secondary, while a healthy Mark Ingram will challenge the front seven.

If the defense fails to answer the challenges, Sunday's game will be a shootout between two of the game’s best quarterbacks. However, if the defense is up to the tasks, then the Packers win in a rout.

Under the latter scenario, the number of teams distinguishing themselves grows to seven.

Please visit Row12.com  for weekly articles done by myself on college and fantasy football. We also have a great staff of writers that covers every major sport.
coltonja
9 years ago

The game itself was never in doubt, so there was never a moment on Sunday where it could potentially turn. Simply put, this game turned mid-week when McCarthy implemented his game plan.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Thanks a lot for these insightful posts each week, Porky! I enjoy reading through them.

I thought this nugget of wisdom was the highlight of the post. Good to see the oft forgotten genius of McCarthy's game planning pointed out. Sometimes I disagree with him, but the majority of the time I trust his playcalling ability and especially enjoy the deep PA bombs to Nelson. Can never see enough of those!

Keep up the good work.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Bigbyfan
9 years ago
Thanks for the post porky. I always enjoy reading your work. You are a very gifted writer.
blank
yooperfan
9 years ago
Thanks again Porky.
I enjoyed your turning point take. Too often the off the field prep is forgotten in the hubbub of victory.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
good summary again
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
Another well thought out masterpiece!!!

I thought you might give the turning point of the game to The Panthers decision to deferr to the 2nd half giving the ball to Aaron and Co. to start the game.

I'm thinking along the same line as you looking ahead to Sunday night.

I have made my prediction in the other thread(41 - 23 Packers).

Of course if Breese gets comfortable, this could be the 1st team to 50 wins(and that may not be enough!!!).

Here's hoping the Defense can keep up the good work!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.