all_about_da_packers
9 years ago

At this point I would entertain playing him more at ILB next to Hawk and giving Perry more snaps at OLB since Perry has looked good the last few weeks and right now we don't have a starting calibre ILB that's healthy. Clay is the best LB we have in coverage and he's a sure tackler and good at blitzing up the middle. Having to play him at ILB is not ideal but it might be the best alignment we can put in the field atm.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Clay at ILB is a disaster waiting to happen. There is a reason Brad Jones sucks at ILB, and our defence seemingly gets worse with Jones at ILB: Jones is horrible in maintaining his gap. He crashes down too hard and is pushed away to open his gap, or simply cannot disengage quick enough to make tackles. Clay would likely have the same problem: Clay is not exactly one known for maintaining his gap; he is used to either crashing down hard to going wide to use his quickness to beat blockers and get to the QB.

Additionally, having Clay try to use his skills to beat blockers head on might stifle his biggest asset: athleticism. It's a different beast trying to get around a blocker at the snap versus trying to disengage from a blocker coming at you full steam and (usually) have you blocked from the front. Clay isn't exactly known for routinely overpowering the OL with his brute strength.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
Hard to get rid of Clay when Perry is still questionable and Peppers is still hot and cold with a limited shelf-life. We need more in the cupboards to make me comfortable getting rid of Clay.

Getting comfortable with the thoughts should Cobb leave. Adams had a great game and I think he can jump to the #2.
Smokey
9 years ago
In a trade/draft trade scenario, IMO, Clay Matthews would be worth the following :

1) A 2nd and a 4th round 2015 draft and a 3rd round pick in the 2016 draft.

or

2) A proven O/D-lineman , not over 28 yrs old, plus a 6th round 2015 draft pick.

or

3) A multi-player deal featuring Clay Matthews and 1 or 2 additional second tier players for a proven D-line starter not over 28 yrs old plus a 4th round 2015 draft pick and a 2016 5th round draft pick.

It is possible to imagine many deals where fair value is given and received without busting the all holy damn cap !

Matthews is and has been a great asset to the Packers, but the bottom line is not sentimentality but what is in the best interest of the Packers. Clay is slowing down from his rocket propelled rushes and sideline "cat like" run pursuits. Moving him inside with Hawk and playing Perry at OLB could refire his production, but will he be able to stay in good health to see it through. I say get the best value you can in a player/draft/player-draft deal.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
Maybe he can't juice anymore, because of the increased scrutiny.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago
Yet again, what precedent is there for someone making that much money to be traded mid contract in the NFL?

As nerdmann has pointed out, he still provides value. Keep in mind that 2 weeks ago we were having discussions about 🇦🇷 losing a step/motivation on this board. Clay is coming off a groin injury, and yes, he's injury prone but I feel like the thought of trading him is a bit of a knee jerk
Smokey
9 years ago
Like the character Sonny said in "The Godfather" ," it's business and your taking this personally".

It's business, don't take it personally . :-({|=
UserPostedImage
evad04
9 years ago

Like the character Sonny said in "The Godfather" ," it's business and your taking this personally".

It's business, don't take it personally . :-({|=

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Sonny was a hothead who took everything personally, leading to his untimely demise at the causeway.

Trading Clay Matthews would almost certainly be bad business -- especially for only a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick.

Despite his only one sack this season, for his career Clay still averages .69 sacks a game (not groundbreaking math here -- just take his sacks and divide by games played). That's on par with Robert Quinn (.68), J.J. Watt (.75) and Cameron Wake (.66). For years, Green Bay has struggled to pressure QBs any other way than Clay. The fact that Mike Daniels, Nick Perry and Mike Neal are stepping up and getting after it this season shouldn't diminish CM3's value.

Pass rushers hold unbelievable value, and to Matthews' credit, he's been more of a general playmaker than simply a rusher.

They're a dime-a-dozen in this league. You don't trade them simply because you can. Bad business -- nothing personal.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
DoddPower
9 years ago
Clay is playing OK considering the groin injury is still likely lingering a bit. He just needs to play more disciplined. It should be something he can do. I think the bye week would help him out a lot.
Cheesey
9 years ago
First, who would you replace him with?
Draft picks are nice, but if you don't hit on them, they are worthless.
So trade a very good player for a couple of "maybes"?
The Packers are short on impact players on defense as it is. Do you jettison one of the few quality players you have?
I wouldn't.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I told some people at the bar that some fans wanted to trade Clay Matthews and they all started laughing. It was pretty funny actually.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (4h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
    beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
    beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
    wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
    Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
    Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.