wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I thought Peppers was done and was going to be a bust. I was wrong 🤦

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I was was hopeful he would be able to make a solid contribution on a down or two a series.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

One player a year would make a huge difference. Even one every other year would.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You mean like Sam Shields? DuJuan Harris? Don Barclay? Agreed.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago

Ted Thompson is pretty good at free agency, at least when the moves are actually substantial. It really makes me wonder why he doesn't use it a little more. Think back over the last few years. How many other Julius Peppers might there have been that could have helped this team? One? Two? More? Even a couple could have made a big difference.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

True, but maybe Thompson has been pretty good with his "substantial" FA moves because he's been so selective with them...

I think the Packers have said they believe adding people hurts the development of the guys they already got by taking away reps from them. Also believe FAs is mainly for filling depth when you fail to fill depth through the draft and/or you have a great deal.

And I still sort of blame Safety Marquand Manuel for the basically career ruining injury to Safety Marviel Underwood (not to be confused with troubled CB Brandon Underwood)...

Safety Marviel Underwood was in his 2nd year, and grew a lot from his rookie year and IMO was playing better than Manuel and looked like the possible long term starter to go with Collins, but they put Manuel ahead of Underwood and they had few Safeties in camp which meant Underwood had to due the mop up duty in preseason games and Underwood got a season ending knee injury and he never bounced back to even half of his old self. The worse part was I saw it coming the weeks before... the guys was too good to be doing that much mop up duty, I was he'd get injured even though he was playing like the 2nd best Safety behind only Collins then.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah... as well as Woodson, Peppers, Pickett, Tramon Williams and Tim Masthay.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

🙄

If that is what you want to think. Fine.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

🙄

If that is what you want to think. Fine.

That's just part of team development and not what I would personally consider "substantial" free agent moves. That is, spending real money on proven talent. UDFAs that develop into good players are not the same thing. Ted Thompson may only be pretty good at my so-called "substantial" free agency pursuits because he rarely dabbles, but I can't help but think he could have had similar success another time or two. Another couple of players could have made a big difference. It's happen many times throughout the NFL the past few years. It doesn't always work out, but that's football.

And if bringing in Peppers or other similar players hurts the development of players such as MD Jennings, Brad Jones, CJ Wilson, et al., then so be it. That's a risk I'd be more than comfortable with taking. The actual cream would still rise to the top, imo. Sometimes a free agent or developing young player won't work out, but what about when they actually do?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

That's just part of team development and not what I would personally consider "substantial" free agent moves. That is, spending real money on proven talent. UDFAs that develop into good players are not the same thing. Ted Thompson may only be pretty good at my so-called "substantial" free agency pursuits because he rarely dabbles, but I can't help but think he could have had similar success another time or two. Another couple of players could have made a big difference. It's happen many times throughout the NFL the past few years. It doesn't always work out, but that's football.

And if bringing in Peppers or other similar players hurts the development of players such as MD Jennings, Brad Jones, CJ Wilson, et al., then so be it. That's a risk I'd be more than comfortable with taking. The actual cream would still rise to the top, imo. Sometimes a free agent or developing young player won't work out, but what about when they actually do?

Agreed. It gets very tiring to have the same discussion over and over again about UDFAs. They try and pretend these players are so valuable that they are actually equal to both daft picks and real FAs. It is ridiculous.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Ted Thompson is pretty good at free agency, at least when the moves are actually substantial. It really makes me wonder why he doesn't use it a little more. Think back over the last few years. How many other Julius Peppers might there have been that could have helped this team? One? Two? More? Even a couple could have made a big difference.

He probably doesn't because there isn't one to be had, or both sides aren't mutually attracted to one another. Green Bay isn't a hot bed for young males wanting to soil their oats. You can land men who are grown and married with kids with less difficulty.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

Agreed. It gets very tiring to have the same discussion over and over again about UDFAs. They try and pretend these players are so valuable that they are actually equal to both daft picks and real FAs. It is ridiculous.

Valuable enough to get a 8-10m/year contract it seems. What I don't get is people acting like re signing your own FA isn't signing a FA. When that player hits FA he's no longer on your team so when we re signed James Jones for pretty cheap last time and he led the league in receiving TDs the next year everyone acted like it didn't count yet if we had let Jones walk and signed some WR named Joe Schmoe from the Bengals and he did the exact same thing everyone would have been like SEE FA!!!!!
DoddPower
9 years ago

He probably doesn't because there isn't one to be had, or both sides aren't mutually attracted to one another. Green Bay isn't a hot bed for young males wanting to soil their oats. You can land men who are grown and married with kids with less difficulty.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, I can understand that. But I still think Ted Thompson could probably make it happen more often than he does, and I think it would help the team more than hurt it (although inevitably it could do a little of both).
DoddPower
9 years ago

Valuable enough to get a 8-10m/year contract it seems. What I don't get is people acting like re signing your own FA isn't signing a FA. When that player hits FA he's no longer on your team so when we re signed James Jones for pretty cheap last time and he led the league in receiving TDs the next year everyone acted like it didn't count yet if we had let Jones walk and signed some WR named Joe Schmoe from the Bengals and he did the exact same thing everyone would have been like SEE FA!!!!!

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

When I talk about free agents, I'm generally talking about outside free agents. That is, players that didn't play for the Packers the past season. Resigning a teams own players generally keeps the core in tact, but signing outside free agents to fill in gaps (e.g. Pickett, Woodson, Peppers) can seriously address obvious weaknesses. Resigning a teams free agents isn't likely to address weaknesses from the previous season. Without substantial outside free agents, most the pressure is on the draft and/or UDFA. That makes it tough if one isn't drafting very well every season.

I have no interest in Ted signing players just to sign players or just to be active in free agency to say that he is. I want him to sign players that can help this team, and I think there are a few out there every couple of years.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (22h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (22h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.