DarkaneRules
9 years ago
You just missed there at the end. You should have said "important to me". Other than that, well stated and very insightful.

I'm fine going week to week. It's what works for me. To each their own.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DakotaT
9 years ago

If I'm pissing in your cheerios, it isn't really my aim... it's my aim to speak about what I think is important and that's fielding a team that can actually win it all and this one ain't it.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It would be so sweet if you had to eat a plate of crow; but, I tend to agree with you. I think this team has been soft for years, and is not capable of beating physical teams that play each down like its the last down of a tied game. And that is a reflection of the coaching and discipline.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Shoot...I posted a decent length response to this. I hit the wrong button as sometimes happens with me.

Would love a plate of crow. I know the homers/optimists whatever they like to be called will not eat anything if/when the same thing happens again this season as happened the last 3.

IMO, EVERYONE here KNOWS this team is NOT capabable of being part of any ring ceremony anytime soon. The pretense does it for some...the false hope...the wishing...the fantasy...must not be fooled with even though it is known this team isn't a championship caliber squad.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

It's all a matter of perspective. You think that regular season wins are things to get fired up about. I'm more focused on where the Packers fit into the ring picture.

There is no ring picture without first getting into the playoffs...
and there is no getting into the playoffs without first getting enough wins...

In other words you got to first win... a win is just a step closer to being in the playoffs and you can't be in the ring picture without being in the playoffs. So if you want to be in the ring picture then wouldn't you be excited about wins?

How do you get a ring?
1) Get in the playoffs (by winning enough games)
2) Don't lose

So winning of course is the important step in that... so of course MOST people get excited by winning, as if you don't win you can't do the rest.

Honestly, I feel you are EXACTLY what the Packers org wants in a fan...one who is content beating the Bears who doesn't demand they field a team that can actually win it all.

You claim you're not a pessimist but you're suggesting/assuming the Packers org doesn't want the fans you consider the best type... that's looking at things half empty.

And I admit I look at it as half full, as I suggest/assuming the Packers are doing the best they can do... if they knew of something better to do they're being trying to do that instead.

my aim to speak about what I think is important and that's fielding a team that can actually win it all and this one ain't it.

And no amount of us bitching is going to change that (especially not this year, as it's already started)... even if we rise up together... they can't only do the best they can do.

You want more aggressive positive action... but owners like Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones have been more aggressive... and it often times hasn't been positive.

You seem to assume they're not aggressive enough because they don't care enough.

I seem to assume they're not as aggressive because they don't think it's what's best and they're doing what they think is best.

If I'm pissing in your cheerios, it isn't really my aim...

If you're pissing aim towards Chicago... it looks like they have a couple of toilets, so why not?
wait is it... Chicago or Shicago? ;)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
9 years ago
Last time I checked, points allowed is what matters.... not yards allowed. As stated before we are ranked pretty well in that category.

No one here is arguing that the Packers have an elite defense or even a championship. The whole thread was that the defense has shown improvement.
blank
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

I think that was a good way of putting it... we can't see the future. As far as we know he could get a neck injury and his career could be over (I miss Jolly 😣 ) but for now he's not even getting on the 46 man game day roster every week yet... to call him the future would be a complete random shot in the dark to how he might become a better players.

Though with Boyd's knee injury last week, and D. Jones ankle injury this week he's might be seeing more playing time in the very near future... though I can't say which position he'd be put at. Hopefully those guys turn out to be healthy and we don't have to find out how a DL with Guion and Pennell playing at the same time will look... though now I am wondering if they played a 3-4 with both of them which one would be playing NT and which would be playing DE.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Had to sift through all the same bullshit by the same people to find your post.

Pennel is already being worked into the rotation.

"When Pennel saw his first NFL game action in last Sunday's 38-17 win over Chicago, it was two bits of advice from Raji that stuck in his mind during his 22 defensive snaps: Don't think. Play ball."

"The Packers are confident they're close. In lieu of high-priced free agents, they're turning to undrafted linemen like Pennel and Miami alumnus Luther Robinson, who combined for 61 defensive snaps in Thursday's 42-10 win over Minnesota."

The plan was to bring these guys along slowly, but with the injuries to 1st Raji and then Boyd and now Jones, looks like the coaches are going to find out what they have in them sooner than expected.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
What is the context of..."The Packers are confident they're close." ... I read the section of the article this quote appears in. Close to what? Not being the worst run D in the NFL?

Robinson and Pennel are nowhere close to what Sam Shields was in his rookie year as a UDFA. Both of them combined aren't close.

We're believing in these two guys as a SOLUTION to our run D woes?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

What is the context of..."The Packers are confident they're close." ... I read the section of the article this quote appears in. Close to what? Not being the worst run D in the NFL?

Robinson and Pennel are nowhere close to what Sam Shields was in his rookie year as a UDFA. Both of them combined aren't close.

We're believing in these two guys as a SOLUTION to our run D woes?

This was not directed at you, beast was wondering when and how much Pennel had played.

Kindly keep your bullshit posts out of my conversations with another member who was looking for information.

Go back to the Ted Thompson thread and post your same crap that you have been posting since you arrived.

Quit spamming every damn thread.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Smokey
9 years ago
"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

This quotation should ever be in the mind of an NFL GM. The first step to building an NFL team is to get the biggest, baddest, most physical smart guys that you can find. Why ? Let's examine this first step.

If your O/D-lines dominate opposing O/D-lines , the other offensive /defensive players on your team are better protected, better blocked for, better able to stop the run, better able to defend against the pass as the line pressures their QB.
Great O/D-lines can make ordinary players Stars. However, ordinary O/D-lines can take a Star and place him on waivers.
Many great lines have been remembered for decades; The Fearsome Foursome of the Los Angeles Rams, Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain, Dallas's Doomsday Defence, Miami's No Name Defence, Winning Super Bowl Teams, Chicago's Monsters of the Midway, The "85" Bears, Denver's Orange Crush, and Lombardi's Packers. Teams that dominated in the trenches and went on to win championships.

The "he'll be good enough" philosophy just isn't good enough. Some say owners like Jerry Jones & Daniel Snyder try to buy good teams. They fail because they don't 1) hire good Head Coaches , then 2) they don't listen to them. GB has been blessed with the last two Head Coaches. Mike McCarthy must dream about what the Packers could do with great linemen.
Rodger's would get the protection and time to slice and dice opposing defences. Giant holes would open as E.Lacy breaks 100 yds. per game, routinely. The Defence would terrorize opposing QB's and shut down every run attack. Special Teams would rarely need to punt, and 4th qtr. comebacks would be unnecessary. Positive turnovers would naturally go up as we tear footballs from the arms of RB's, and passes are thrown before they should be, as GB's sack total rises.

I've watched every season since 1963, yet the fundamental building blocks of the best teams have their roots grounded in the biggest, smartest, meanest beast that can be hired. Think and you will remember an ordinary player/team that had great games/seasons due to the work of the men in the trenches.
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
All 32 teams are drafting and signing players that looked like Tarzan, and you cross your fingers they don't turn into Jane. If it was that easy to find the right coach, and draft/sign linemen on each side who wouldn't get hurt, and would play up to their affordable contract that allows you to manage the rest of your team, then all 32 teams would look great. As you'd put it, the Packers opted for "he'll be good enough" at C, TE, and WR depth this offseason. As I'd put it, they were trying to effectively manage an entire roster and take calculated risks at youth producing at some positions, which every team needs to do. With Adams and Linsley, it appears the gambles paid off. At TE, we're still struggling.

I don't see what's been so bad about the Packers' O-Line. Rodgers has generally had time, and sometimes the run game takes time to click, it certainly did vs. MN.

The D-line we've talked about many times in many ways. The team made a concerted effort to utilize more versatile and faster players like CM3. As has been mentioned, Perry, Neal, and Peppers are all hybrids that the Packers were undoubtedly factoring into an informal D-Line depth chart. I too have had my concerns, but at the same time I recognize September is basically the preseason thanks to the new CBA, and both of the Packers' lines have shown signs of improvement since the Jets game, so now seems like a curious time to be concerned about them.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.