porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
The NFL season is a story. There’s a beginning, middle, and ending. At this time of the year, every team’s ideal ending is to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. For 31 teams, unfortunately, their ending will fail to live up to expectations.

It’s these expectations (legit or not) that often lead to one over-analyzing a specific game. In other words, it’s easy to lose perspective in the now. Only one team can hoist the Lombardi Trophy, making the odds of achieving a so-called satisfying ending slim.

Your perspective will change as time passes, though. Only then will you realize the real thrill of an NFL season is the journey, not the ending.

I suspect that Green Bay’s victory over the N.Y. Jets wasn’t enough to satisfy many fans. The Jets are a team with low expectations, while Green Bay expects to contend for the NFC championship. The Packers’ woeful start, no doubt, leaves fans wanting something more. This perception is fine, given that we’re in the early stage of the ‘14 season.

However, a few years from now, I have a keen suspicion that Packers fans, players, and coaches, will grow to appreciate their first victory of the 2014 season as one of the best during an era.

Regardless of whether this team is the one to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Here’s my week 2 breakdown:

Turning Point

With the score tied at 24, Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers connected with receiver Jordy Nelson on an 80-yard touchdown. The score put Green Bay up 31-24, a lead the Packers never relinquished.

Unsung Hero

While Green Bay's defense played poorly in the beginning of the game, they did progress as the game moved forward. One player who deserves immense credit for that is defensive lineman Mike Daniels. The fourth-year player might as well of made a nest in the Jets’ backfield, registering several key stops, including a sack of Jets’ quarterback Geno Smith. However, perhaps Daniels’ biggest play won’t register in the stat column. On a first down play, with the Jets driving to extend their 21-9 lead, Daniels planted Smith in the turf as he threw the ball. The disrupted throw landed in cornerback Tramon Williams hands at the three yard line, giving the Packers the ball back. Green Bay’s offense orchestrated a 97-yard touchdown drive before half, cutting the Jets’ lead to 21-16. This major momentum shift wouldn’t have happened without Daniels’ pressure.

Stud of the Game

After signing a big-money deal in the off-season, Nelson entered the year with perhaps his highest expectations. He delivered on them Sunday afternoon. Nelson notched nine receptions for a career-high 209 yards. He also scored the deciding touchdown. This was the first time since 1996 that a Green Bay receiver went over 200 yards receiving. Then it was Don Beebe, who notched 220 receiving yards in a Monday Night classic against the San Francisco 49ers.

Looking Ahead

In the next three weeks, the Packers face perhaps their most pivotal stretch on the schedule. They play each of their divisional foes (two away, one home) starting with at Detroit next week.

The Lions are coming off a 24-7 loss, but they matchup well with the Pack. At times in week two, Green Bay made Smith look like a seasoned veteran, so you can only imagine how well Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford may play. Additionally, Green Bay’s offensive line continues to disappoint. This season, they’ve done a poor job of opening up running lanes for running back Eddie Lacy and protecting quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Detroit’s front four is among the best in football, so getting right tackle Bryan Bulaga back would be a major boon to the Packers.

Look for the winning team to assert itself early.

Hey guys, please visit Row12.com  for weekly articles done by myself on college and fantasy football. We also have a great staff of writers that cover just about every major sport.

nerdmann
9 years ago
Geno Smith is a running QB. He's the type we have problems with. Stafford's more of a statue back there, an easy target.

Also, yeah they beat us last year. Recall that Lang was playing C and Matt Flynn was our QB. Having Lang at C means we also had, who was it, Taylor at G? Now I love Lang as a G, but as a C it's different.

Not that I don't think we'll shit ourselves. We'll have to show up for at least 2 quarters. But I like our chances. Good opportunity for the team to prove themselves.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I felt the turning point was the Tramon Williams interception and the ensuing 97 yard TD drive. I had the same feeling I did during the 2010 playoffs against Atlanta. Win.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (8h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.