Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Defense needs veteran to regain pass-rush prowess

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/oct08/tkgb18b.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - Amid his longest season, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila can see a rainbow near the end.

Everybodys going to be writing, Kabeers back, the ninth-year defensive end said Friday. If you finish strong, it really doesnt matter what happened in the beginning. Im going to be around when it really counts.

Few of Gbaja-Biamilas coaches or teammates on the Green Bay Packers care if he might be slightly delusional. The fact that he counts more against the teams salary cap ($7.73 million) than any other player despite his minuscule contribution is of minimal importance.

What matters is one thing: With Cullen Jenkins out for the year, the Packers are beyond desperate for pass rush from KGB, starting Sunday against Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts at Lambeau Field.

We talked, Carl Big Daddy Hairston, the teams defensive ends coach, said at midweek. I told him hes got to show this weekend against this quarterback.

Gbaja-Biamilas drop-off this season has been of seismic proportion.

Through six games of 2007 (203 snaps), he had 4 sacks, 9 knockdowns and five hurries for a pressures count of 19.

Through six games of 2008 (138 snaps), he has one-half sack, one-half knockdown and one-half hurry for a pressures count of 1.

Gbaja-Biamila had cartilage surgery on his right knee May 28, missed almost all of training camp, still didnt feel right when the season started, but played anyway.

As the right end on passing downs, his speed rush has been witnessed a thousand times. After a rapid takeoff, he drives up the field against the tackle, plants his left leg and then turns in by pivoting off his right leg. When it works, he propels himself under and around the tackle to the quarterback.

Gbaja-Biamila figured that his left knee, the non-surgical one, was more critical in the process. What he learned was that the right knee needed to be equally sound.

I used to think this (left knee) is all I really need, he said. But you dont realize how much this (right knee) is really posted. You have to plant. So you play like a one-legged guy. Youre not able to get low.

When KGB planted the right knee that lacked strength, invariably the tackle would be jamming him at the same time. Once that happened, he usually was knocked far off track and out of the rush.

I call it dip and rip, Hairston said. To do that, youve got to be pretty athletic and have great knee bend. Thats what he depended on. Its coming back.

Hairston said KGB looked less stiff this week in practice. KGB said his knee was completely healed.

Youve got to have four guys who are pushing that pocket, Hairston said. If not, then youre going to be in trouble. We cant keep blitzing and leave holes in our secondary. Besides, this guy (Manning) is great. Weve got to win quick. Get there faster than we normally do.

Once an elite speed rusher, Gbaja-Biamila has been eclipsed by others. Two of the best are lining up for Indianapolis, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Freeney and Mathis have to deal with Green Bays Chad Clifton, who remains a Pro Bowl-caliber pass blocker at left tackle. KGB will face left tackle Charlie Johnson, a common player, and a pair of rookie guards when he runs stunts.

Most of those guys got zero experience, Hairston said. Thats something weve got to exploit. Its on us up front.

In Mannings only previous appearance at Lambeau Field, coordinator Ed Donatell blitzed merely 10.6% on passing downs, rolled coverage to Marvin Harrison and shut him down (two catches, 28 yards), registered eight pressures and beat the Colts in light snow and 27 degrees, 26-24.

That game, played in November 2000, was followed in 2004 by Mannings only other game against Green Bay. At the RCA Dome, coordinator Bob Slowik blitzed 37.2%, had five pressures and lost, 45-31.

The current coordinator, Bob Sanders, is blitzing just 18.4% through six games. The lowest total for a full season by a Packers defense in the last decade was 19.7% in 2002.

Clearly, Green Bay must find ways to make Manning uncomfortable with four-man rushes. Other than Charles Woodson, the Packers dont have an effective blitzer, and they will need Woodson in the slot to cover Reggie Wayne.

Youve got to get Peyton out of his element, and its hard to do, said an executive in personnel for a recent Colts opponent. Itll be (Aaron) Kampman vs. (Ryan) Diem. Ive got to think Kampman will be able to generate a little bit of pressure.

Their pass game is different. Peyton is so good reading where the pressure is coming from. He can check and get rid of the ball quickly. Really quickly. And he can make some things happen with his feet so (pressure) doesnt affect him that much.

The Packers other healthy speed rusher, Kenny Pettway, has played just five snaps in two games. Hairston called him rusty but likes his leverage and toughness.

But this isnt a moment for free agents. For his team to win, Gbaja-Biamila simply must start regaining the form that made him valuable for years.

Optimistic? KGB said. I just have faith, man. Its going to be good.

I love the guys spirits and think he's a tremendous guy. But, this is the NFL, you get sacks by dominating your opponent at the line, not buy having confidence in your abilities.

I really hope KGB can return the form we all liked to see. When its third and long and you see KGB come in, you just knew there was a good chance he'd be near the QB.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I'm still confident he'll be back. I don't know if it'll be this week though. If Manning is really back to his old self, he's pretty hard to get down. Even with that not-to-great offensive line.

They can also double-team Kampman all game long, since we don't blitz alot and KGB hasn't proven anything so far. Together with our DTs not showing alot.

Reminds me of what I read when the Texans drafted Mario Williams. 'You can't actually sack Peyton Manning, but at least we're getting closer'
Greg C.
15 years ago
It seems like articles like this about KGB are becoming routine. I've always defended him when fans of criticized him, but I'm losing hope. He is too small to be effective with an injury that robs him of his quickness. I think the rookie, Jeremy Thompson, has already passed him up, which unfortunately is not saying much. KGB is a formerly great pass rusher who just might be all but finished as a pro. I hope I'm wrong.
blank
tromadz
15 years ago
On every packer forum I've ever visited, I believe I've made my feelings known on the mediocre player I think KGB is. Good person, horrible player.

He's a 1 trick pony, and that trick was played out years ago. A liability against the run. Even when healthy and rested during games, doesn't produce. And he is the highest paid player on the team.

Ridiculous.
gotarace
15 years ago

On every packer forum I've ever visited, I believe I've made my feelings known on the mediocre player I think KGB is. Good person, horrible player.

He's a 1 trick pony, and that trick was played out years ago. A liability against the run. Even when healthy and rested during games, doesn't produce. And he is the highest paid player on the team.

Ridiculous.

"tromadz" wrote:

I couldn't agree more KGB is a one rush wonder and has been a wash for the last three years. Any time a player needs a long sweeping speed rush to get to the QB it opens up a gapping hole for the offense to exploite. Also KGB is good for at least one flag a game in passing downs jumping the gun with his only move. Time for the Packers to find a better end than KGB.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.