DarkaneRules
9 years ago
NEITHER

I am all in for having a stable organization, good scouting, good coaching, and to see the players on my favorite team leave it all out there on the field. What happens is not up to us; It is about the men who put together and coach the team, and the players who play the game.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DarkaneRules
9 years ago

Semantics? Get in get lucky? We wouldn't have to "get lucky" (Mike Reno is smiling somewhere) if we had a real team and not just a superstar QB carrying us.

The best way to win a SuperBowl is to try and actually win a SB not just hope to get lucky because you have the best QB in the league.

Las Vegas was built on the mentality expressed in your post.

Not sure how you justify the fact that playing the game of football is about going all out. Being sold out to win...but off the field we're just supposed to play it safe. Where is the passion for greatness from this organization? Where is it from the fans? The mentality expressed here has little to do with what sports are all about. Let's be good because going for great might set us back? I can't relate to you.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Que me turning off the filter:

Just who the hell has decided that we are not going for greatness? Perhaps you are confusing this staff with that of the Dallas Cowboys. Is it because the team doesn't make decisions you approve of? What the hell is going on with these arguments? They are mind numbing thought-vomit. Yes please have opinions but for the love of GOD stop with circular argument crap. It's exhausting.

And don't tell any of us that we are speaking as if we don't know what sports are about. That's a shitty opinion man. It shows lack of respect for your fellow Packer brethren.

Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
9 years ago

Agree,

Playoff contenders every year, and just like 2010, you get in and anything can happen.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yep. That's exactly how it is. You get in and anything can happen. The Vikings are a team that historically has tried to load for SB or bust. Not only with the Jared Allen signing and all that with Favre and whatnot, but back in the Moss years with Randall Cunningham and even before that with the Herschel Walker trade.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, and usually does. Both good and bad. So what you want is repeated, consistent playoff appearances, not just one or two.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Just who the hell has decided that we are not going for greatness? Perhaps you are confusing this staff with that of the Dallas Cowboys. Is it because the team doesn't make decisions you approve of? What the hell is going on with these arguments? They are mind numbing thought-vomit. Yes please have opinions but for the love of GOD stop with circular argument crap. It's exhausting.

And don't tell any of us that we are speaking as if we don't know what sports are about. That's a shitty opinion man. It shows lack of respect for your fellow Packer brethren.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

=d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d> =d>
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Obviously we are not going for greatness because we aren't great. Everyone knows that it easy to achieve greatness, you just have to try and it will happen. The only reason teams are not great is because they don't try to be great, they are content to be good. It has nothing to do with the fact that there are 31 other teams who are also trying to be great and they are working against you. It has nothing to do with having a huge string of bad luck in the injury department. Its simply because Ted Thompson is not trying to be great. Trying is the same as being and if you aren't being then you must not be trying.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Strive not for success, but for dominance.

Getting to the playoffs regularly to me IMO is a finesse, beancounter approach. I want a take-no-prisoners approach.

I don't expect superbowl victory every year. Sometimes you lose games, that's the way of life. But, and people have heard me say this before, I want a team that strives to and has the capacity to dominate every game. A team whose B- game requires the other team to play an A+ game to beat them. And a team whose A- game cannot be stayed in the game with.

IMO what separated the great teams from the merely successful was the will to dominate.

IMO for the last half of 2010 and most of 2011, the Packers had that will. IMO I haven't seen it since. THey are good, but aside from a few like Rodgers, they haven't had that extra oomph.

It's not about whether they "go for greatness" or not. It is about the strength of their will, about their refusal to NOT be great.

I don't claim to know what it takes. I'm honest to admit that I've not got *it*, whatever it is.

But I haven't seen it recently from the Packers. Lombardi and the Starr/Nitschke/Robinson/Davis/Gregg Packers had it. Holmgren IMO never had it, though the White/Favre/Butler Packers managed to have it for awhile despite that partly because Wolf had it. As, I said, the Packers had it for awhile under McCarthy and THompson with Rodgers/Woodson leading the way.

But I haven't seen it since.

Playoff contenders. Best team in division. Yes, both of those.

But dominance and will. No.

Dominant. Will.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
warhawk
9 years ago
Well, show me where going all in works before calling it an option. I haven't seen it work. Wasn't it Philly a couple of years ago that supposedly built this dream team that turned into a nightmare?
The Bears went large bringing in Cutler, Marshall, Peppers, etc., in an obvious effort to save Lovie's ass and they can't even beat us and win the division let alone get near a SB.

Now I know I'm going to hear Denver's name pop up. The Denver model. Denver needed a QB. BADLY. Wonder boy from Florida didn't work and the stars lined up to bring in Manning. They got a very good player at the most impactful position a team has to have to win. The Packers don't need a QB. We have a better one.

So we already went all in there and pay the guy like a rock star. Money well spent no doubt. Put them up against each other right now. I'm good with that.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
9 years ago

Strive not for success, but for dominance.

Getting to the playoffs regularly to me IMO is a finesse, beancounter approach. I want a take-no-prisoners approach.

I don't expect superbowl victory every year. Sometimes you lose games, that's the way of life. But, and people have heard me say this before, I want a team that strives to and has the capacity to dominate every game. A team whose B- game requires the other team to play an A+ game to beat them. And a team whose A- game cannot be stayed in the game with.

IMO what separated the great teams from the merely successful was the will to dominate.

IMO for the last half of 2010 and most of 2011, the Packers had that will. IMO I haven't seen it since. THey are good, but aside from a few like Rodgers, they haven't had that extra oomph.

It's not about whether they "go for greatness" or not. It is about the strength of their will, about their refusal to NOT be great.

I don't claim to know what it takes. I'm honest to admit that I've not got *it*, whatever it is.

But I haven't seen it recently from the Packers. Lombardi and the Starr/Nitschke/Robinson/Davis/Gregg Packers had it. Holmgren IMO never had it, though the White/Favre/Butler Packers managed to have it for awhile despite that partly because Wolf had it. As, I said, the Packers had it for awhile under McCarthy and THompson with Rodgers/Woodson leading the way.

But I haven't seen it since.

Playoff contenders. Best team in division. Yes, both of those.

But dominance and will. No.

Dominant. Will.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

The biggest thing standing between this team and dominance is the injury situation. I'm not questioning their will.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Well, show me where going all in works before calling it an option. I haven't seen it work. Wasn't it Philly a couple of years ago that supposedly built this dream team that turned into a nightmare?
The Bears went large bringing in Cutler, Marshall, Peppers, etc., in an obvious effort to save Lovie's ass and they can't even beat us and win the division let alone get near a SB.

Now I know I'm going to hear Denver's name pop up. The Denver model. Denver needed a QB. BADLY. Wonder boy from Florida didn't work and the stars lined up to bring in Manning. They got a very good player at the most impactful position a team has to have to win. The Packers don't need a QB. We have a better one.

So we already went all in there and pay the guy like a rock star. Money well spent no doubt. Put them up against each other right now. I'm good with that.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Post like these just... ??????????????

Are you joking? How long have you been a Packers fan? Do you remember Ron Wolf? Does signing Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Eugene Robinson, etc. ring any bells for you? Minus the above actions we have ZERO rings in the Favre era. Draft and develop was NOT enough in the Favre era to get us to a SB. It took TRADES (Brett Favre ring a bell?), FA (Reggie White Ding Dong Ding Dong), Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Andre Rison, etc. We needed guys like those to rival the 49'ers and the fading Cowboys.

Today, it's okay to try and live off of finding UDFA's while we continue failing up high especially on defense.

Ron Wolf went for it...we got to back to back SB's...that is an an accomplishment...only accomplished because we went for it. What we do now is NOTHING like what we do today. To add Julius Peppers at age 34 and position switch him is NOT adding Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, etc...

You can call it insulting my "Packer brethren" but I truly don't recognize the mentality a lot of you have about what constitutes going for it or having the will and passion to be great. We don't have it. I doubt we'll have it again in the Rodgers era...and even if that is the case and we never sniff another SB you will STILL be hailing Ted Thompson and his approach. I don't get you my "Packer brethren".

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

Post like these just... ??????????????

Are you joking? How long have you been a Packers fan? Do you remember Ron Wolf? Does signing Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Eugene Robinson, etc. ring any bells for you? Minus the above actions we have ZERO rings in the Favre era. Draft and develop was NOT enough in the Favre era to get us to a SB. It took TRADES (Brett Favre ring a bell?), FA (Reggie White Ding Dong Ding Dong), Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Andre Rison, etc. We needed guys like those to rival the 49'ers and the fading Cowboys.

Today, it's okay to try and live off of finding UDFA's while we continue failing up high especially on defense.

Ron Wolf went for it...we got to back to back SB's...that is an an accomplishment...only accomplished because we went for it. What we do now is NOTHING like what we do today. To add Julius Peppers at age 34 and position switch him is NOT adding Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, etc...

You can call it insulting my "Packer brethren" but I truly don't recognize the mentality a lot of you have about what constitutes going for it or having the will and passion to be great. We don't have it. I doubt we'll have it again in the Rodgers era...and even if that is the case and we never sniff another SB you will STILL be hailing Ted Thompson and his approach. I don't get you my "Packer brethren".

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Wolf's team had been in the shitter for 30 years. They had to rebuild the franchise. And by the way, they won exactly the same number of SBs that Ted has won.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.