wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
I have bee thinking about this and just have to comment.

"I've seen young guys read the newspaper and all of a sudden they're depressed because a sportswriter has them not making the final roster," Thompson moaned. "I know you have to do that, and I know people are interested in that, but it's not accurate and I kind of feel bad for the guys that have to read that."

Uncle Teddy is so full of crap on this one. And he knows it.

First of all he is going to cut most of these guys anyway. They knew coming into they were most likely a long shot to make the team. Newspapers have been printing/posting their lists for more years than these kids are old. Every single one of them knows players get cut going all the way back to the pee wee leagues. Or at least the less talented ones don't get to play very much. Friends didn't get offers to colleges. It should not be a real shock.

Secondly if reading their name in the paper is going to distract them and cause them to swoon, they don't belong in the NFL.

Third These same kids when they were 8-9 years old were doing the same thing with other teams and players.

Fourth if Teddy feels that bad keep them locked in St Norberts and hide all the papers and radios.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

They knew coming into they were most likely a long shot to make the team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Have you listen to some football players? A lot of them seem to think they're clearly one of the best and no chance of going anywhere but up... mentally they're extremely confident/cocky in themselves trying to get the best out that they can and trying to fully believe in themselves and throw logic and reasoning out the window.... Partly because to be the best you have to think you're one of the best, but lots of players think they're one of the best and no where even close to it.

It should not be a real shock.

It might not be a shock, but it might be a very sobering read that you're probably going to be released soon.

Secondly if reading their name in the paper is going to distract them and cause them to swoon, they don't belong in the NFL.

Very valid point... hopefully it'd motivate some of them as well...

if Teddy feels that bad keep them locked in St Norberts and hide all the papers and radios.

Wait, they still have papers and radio? That stuff still exist?!?!? ... I thought it went the way of the dinosaurs...

I think taking away internet and mobile devices would be a lot more effective 👅

Of course if you take that stuff away the players, family and maybe most risky the wives and girlfriends might want to hurt you...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

1. Have you listen to some football players? A lot of them seem to think they're clearly one of the best and no chance of going anywhere but up... mentally they're extremely confident/cocky in themselves trying to get the best out that they can and trying to fully believe in themselves and throw logic and reasoning out the window.... Partly because to be the best you have to think you're one of the best, but lots of players think they're one of the best and no where even close to it.

2. Wait, they still have papers and radio? That stuff still exist?!?!? ... I thought it went the way of the dinosaurs...

Originally Posted by: beast 

I am lazy so I edited your quote.

1. Yes I am aware of that. Cocky, confident or whatever, do you think Rettig really thinks he is going to knock 2 of the 3 QBs in front of him off the depth chart? The same can be said for almost every position. The bubble guys know they are on the bubble or very close to it one way or the other. If they already know they are on the bubble they should not be surprised that someone questions if they will make the team. Something I left out of my earlier post, everyone knows there are surprises every single year. Some vet gets traded. Another gets released. Things happen that no newspaper guy could possibly foresee when they make up their silly lists. So to put any credence in the article is a waste of their time that could be better spent learning the play book or studying "film" which I know they don't use anymore.

2. I am busted. I don't smart phone which I know they all do. I read the story online why would I not think they did too. As I posted the comment I was trying to be tongue in cheek 1960's with Coach L roaming the hallways and monitoring the very thought process of his players. It came off poorly.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

1. Yes I am aware of that. Cocky, confident or whatever, do you think Rettig really thinks he is going to knock 2 of the 3 QBs in front of him off the depth chart? The same can be said for almost every position. The bubble guys know they are on the bubble or very close to it one way or the other. If they already know they are on the bubble they should not be surprised that someone questions if they will make the team. Something I left out of my earlier post, everyone knows there are surprises every single year. Some vet gets traded. Another gets released. Things happen that no newspaper guy could possibly foresee when they make up their silly lists. So to put any credence in the article is a waste of their time that could be better spent learning the play book or studying "film" which I know they don't use anymore.

2. I am busted. I don't smart phone which I know they all do. I read the story online why would I not think they did too. As I posted the comment I was trying to be tongue in cheek 1960's with Coach L roaming the hallways and monitoring the very thought process of his players. It came off poorly.

1) Logically I agree with you... but you have to remember a lot of players are also thinking a lot more emotional and a lot less logically as they're ever SO SO SO close to making it to being an NFL player... and making so much money and most of them have ben a star or starter most of their lives and think they should be able to at least make a back-up position...

2) Yeah that's mainly why I reposed, I got an old coach roaming and monitoring off of it... but I just wanted to make fun of newspapers as I think the paper part of it is disappearing fast (which I'm not a big fan on)... I don't have a smart phone either... but I figure internet is the way most people get their Packers news today.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

agreed. He may have more potential than Charles Johnson and they lost him last year. Actually they lose a WR off the PS nearly every year. Of course none of them really amount to much anyway.

Funny how people seem to think every team is laying in the weeds just waiting for the Packers to put a WR on the practice squad so they can grab him and he will become a star. Maybe it just seems like the Packers have such good WRs on the PS because we have 27 of them in camp every year.

How many players who get sniped from practice squads really do amount to much. A few but not many.

What about Ryan Grant.
wpr
  • wpr
9 years ago

Funny how people seem to think every team is laying in the weeds just waiting for the Packers to put a WR on the practice squad so they can grab him and he will become a star. Maybe it just seems like the Packers have such good WRs on the PS because we have 27 of them in camp every year.

How many players who get sniped from practice squads really do amount to much. A few but not many.

What about Ryan Grant.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

They do get gobbled up but alas after a couple of years they disappear. Just like most of the players GB takes from various PS typically don't become significant contributors.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

What about Ryan Grant.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

What about Ryan Grant? He was traded for... not snipped off the practice squad. Another problem is that if players are really wanted they're snipped after being released and before they're able to sign onto the practice squad.

Packers snipped Gilbert Brown who I think the Vikings were trying to put on the practice squad.

Bears got Hunter Hillenmeyer from the Packers... who was a draft pick they could of put on the practice squad.

You're right it hasn't happen too often they take players off the practice squad and become good players. Of course Packers have taken WR Boykins and RB Harris off the unemployed list when they weren't even offered a practice squad position by the Jags.

I think same with Tramon Williams who might of spent some time on the Packers practice squad first.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

What about Ryan Grant? He was traded for... not snipped off the practice squad. Another problem is that if players are really wanted they're snipped after being released and before they're able to sign onto the practice squad.

Packers snipped Gilbert Brown who I think the Vikings were trying to put on the practice squad.

Bears got Hunter Hillenmeyer from the Packers... who was a draft pick they could of put on the practice squad.

You're right it hasn't happen too often they take players off the practice squad and become good players. Of course Packers have taken WR Boykins and RB Harris off the unemployed list when they weren't even offered a practice squad position by the Jags.

I think same with Tramon Williams who might of spent some time on the Packers practice squad first.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Apparently you missed the countdown to someone bringing up Ryan Grant but you are right, he was traded for. He spent the previous year on the Giants PS but was traded for my mistake. Still my point was not many PS players make it but someone will always bring up a guy like Ryan Grant.

You also bring up a good point about being signed before they get to the PS which means the PS guys are that much less appreciated.

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Based on tonight's game:

Sherrod a big plus - Bakhtiari didn't look very good - maybe Sherrod beats him out to start.

Aaron Adams looked bad. Whenever he and Sherrod switched sides, the rush came from Adams' side. Could the get away with just 8 O-Linemen?

I read negativity in the chat about the TEs. Why? I thought Rodgers, Quarless, and Stoneburner all looked good - as I expected. Taylor was adequate, and Perillo not hopeless either. I think the first four stay for sure; Bostick apparently isn't bad enough for IR, so he hangs on too. I saw Bostick as below the others even before he got hurt, but I guess others see him as better.

An embarrassment of riches at WR; Gillett, Harper, White, Dorsey probably all were auditioning for other teams. I see 5 above them being kept.

Just based on tonight, Harris looked a lot better than Starks. Obviously they both make the team, but I wonder who gets the most snaps after Lacy.

Tolzien clearly did more with less good players in there with him. Probably they still keep both him and Flynn though.

I'd never wish ill on any Packer, but if Raji's arm is bad enough for IR - or he got cut, I really think the team would be better off - Boyd and Pennell at NT, and maybe Thornton's best or only chance to make the team, and definitely nobody below him.

ILB is clearly the weak spot that idiot Phil Simms, the dumbest commentator in the NFL, said we don't have. The idea of Bradford getting a good look there sure didn't happen - he may have played his way to getting cut. Lattimore didn't do much other than one near pick. Barrington looks decent. Hubbard I think was playing ILB late in the game. I suppose there is no way he is kept - damn shame about that.

They used Matthews and Peppers each on both sides and I think for a play or too, even on the same side. I thought Perry and Neal did all right as backups - still playing against the Raiders first string. Jayrone Elliot looks like the real deal - raw and beat bad in pass coverage, but definitely worth keeping. Did Mulumba even play? I didn't notice him, and Palmer only played at the end with the scrubs. So that's 5 OLBs with Elliot. Can we afford to keep 6? 7? Mulumba - who I like? Bradford - who looked much less good than Elliot? I'd guess 6 with Mulumba in and Bradford gone despite his high pick status.

Goodson stunk - maybe enough that he clears waivers and makes the practice squad. I still like Burnett - I don't care if I'm the only one in here - I think McCarthy and Capers are sold on him also, though. The guy is better in pass coverage than Richardson, and that's the important thing. Hyde looked decent; Ha Ha was OK. I think Banjo doesn't make the team; Rolle was like Richardson - seemingly always there after the catch, not before. Assuming Hampton is in the picture, it would seem to come down to Bush or Rolle, and probably they keep Bush - again.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I thought the JS was pretty close, but I see Janis making it over White. I agree they are likely to keep 3 QB's this year.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.