uffda udfa
9 years ago
Who do you think will win...and who do you want to win? Those are two very different questions.

Both of these are extremely tough for me to answer.

I think Matt Flynn will win because of the comfort level of knowing he can potentially win a game if we need him to.

Scott Tolzien is the guy I want to win... He's got such a great arm... So much better than Flynn's. That potential is just too much for me to give up for Matt Flynn who is who he is.

We could save a little money on the cap by going with Tolzien. Sadly, he has no PS eligibility. It's all or nothing for him in Green Bay.

It is truly nice to see we have finally addressed the backup QB position with two competent players. It took Aaron's injury to do it but at least it's done. We sure aren't very proactive in Green bay in replacing things that need replacing.

There is no scenario under which I can see us keeping both Matt and Scott. We need that other roster spot for a WR, RB, or elsewhere. No need to burn a spot for a 3rd QB. Are the Packers brass as conflicted about this as some of the fans? Would they dare consider keeping all 3 for fear of not wanting to let one go?

Should be fun to see what happens here.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
As of now I want Flynn to take it. I still have more confidence in Flynn to manage a real game for us and stay competitive and come out with a W. I'm hoping though that Tolzien turns it up and changes my mind, he throws a better ball and isn't afraid to challenge the defense. I just don't think he sees the field the way Flynn does. I think the offense runs smoother with Flynn because he can read defenses and knows when to change to a run or throw a hot route. I'm not confident right now that Tolzien can handle those things.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I do think they'll stick with Flynn because of what happened last year. Flynn is a proven commodity while Tolzien is not.

Here's why I would go with Tolzien if it was up to me... Even with Matt Flynn, this team was still among the worst in the NFL. Barely hanging with teams like Atlanta and Dallas. Lucky to have won both games much less either. So, even with Flynn we're not a team that is going to do anything. A one game situation, I'd want Flynn. Another extended Aaron absence and I'd want Tolzien as I don't think either Flynn or Tolzien would be able to carry us.

Flynn has much more experience than Tolzien. I put it in terms of what would Scott Tolzien be if he had what Matt Flynn had? I think in the same scenario if Scott had the time and experience in that Matt does, Scott is the much better player. If I feel that way, then I want Scott long term. He has a bigger skill set that, in time, would put him far ahead of Matt had they both been on equal paths. Scott just needs time. We all saw last year what a beautiful deep ball he throws. It's better than Aaron's. That's pretty amazing stuff. He does need to learn where to throw it...he forced it a bunch looking down his first read and got picked 5 times. You could just see that he didn't know what he was doing and was uncomfortable out there. That is what takes time... I believe he'll develop that coolness and ability to move off his first read. What an arm... I think this guy could win games for us vs. good teams in time.

Can't wait to watch him next week in a dome. Mike McCarthy lamented not giving Scott more time last night. I think we as fans did as well. Rettig was in the game way too much. That guy is going to the PS at best...we all knew that coming into TC. Why let that guy play almost the whole 4th quarter? I still don't get it but am glad to read Mike McCarthy regrets it. Tolzien time vs. STL.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

I want the one that will help the Packers the most to win.

As of right now (when I wrote this), I think both will win... Flynn will win this year and the Packers will keep 3 QBs and Tolzien will win next year.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the 3 QBs idea... but that's what I think they Packers might do if they had to make the 53 man roster right now (of course they don't so they still have more time).

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
The safe thing to do is to keep three no matter what happens. I'll be real intrigued if Tolzien just starts lighting it up. I think he's got it in him. Imagine the backlash if they cut Flynn.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I've always favored Tolzien. He definitely has more ability - he just had too little practice time last season before being thrown in. With a full camp this year, he should stand out as better.

As for the greater question - keep 2 or keep 3: Aaron Rodgers has had just significant injury since being the starting QB. Odds are he won't have another again this year. And has been said, if Rodgers goes down for the season, things are probably in the toilet regardless. Odds are even better that his replacement - Tolzien or Flynn would not also be injured. After all, neither is all out trash like Seneca Wallace (which I said before he ever set foot on the field last season). So keep 2.

As for the second half of the question - who do I think they will keep? That's still very much up in the air. I'd guess 40% both, 33% Flynn, 25% Tolzien, 2% they bring in somebody cut from another team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (27m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (40m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.