steveishere
9 years ago

Not in all in one season, though. [grin1] This is dangerously close to p2w territory. Packers barely hung with the worst teams in the NFL. That is what they were last year minus Rodgers. There is NO reason to believe they would win 11-12 games without him... in fact, winning 11-12 games is what you expect WITH Rodgers.

Ted Thompson has gambled mightily on the C position this season. His record ain't very good when he does that. Jeff Saturday might be an upgrade to what we have to offer from that position this season. We ain't winning diddly with a brutal C.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I don't think he was saying 11 wins in an entire season without Rodgers. 11 wins wouldn't have been too crazy last year though. They played close games that they could have won against Chicago, Minnesota and Pittsburgh
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I don't think he was saying 11 wins in an entire season without Rodgers. 11 wins wouldn't have been too crazy last year though. They played close games that they could have won against Chicago, Minnesota and Pittsburgh

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

You could throw Atlanta and Dallas in on the other side for balance sake to say they easily could've lost those games.

I hope that is what he meant but that is still "out there" to think we could've or should've won 11 or 12...I would stand by what I said, again, that even last season we would've been fortunate to be 11-5 or 12-4 with Aaron for a full season.

After a 2-2 start, 12-4 would've required going 10-2 the rest of the way. 10-2 with our back up QB? Not with the backups we had last year. Maybe, if we had a Favre/Brunell situation.

It is hard for me to understand where some are coming from on this board. The unbridled optimism leads me to believe many feel we should be winning SB's. We've not been close the last 3 years so it's not TT's fault or MM's fault or anyone's fault but bad injury luck? Is that what the conclusion is? Ted Thompson has built a juggernaut that has only been derailed by injuries? I'm going to guess injuries are the excuse because in another thread when the subject of the Niners owning us for beating us 4 in a row was brought up that was balked at posts were typed that said we weren't owned? We just had bad injury luck.

We do have the best QB and should be winning championshipS, plural, ...but we don't. Joe Whitt said in an article from today or yesterday that the best team we had was the one that went out in Round 1 at AZ. No defense...again. It's been how many years and it's still the defense. How many picks on D since then? How many times are injuries going to be the excuse before the realization hits that we're really not that good of a team?

As for Tretter...he scares the heck out of me. If he fails we are hosed. Garth Gerhart or a late round rook from Ohio State that is now hurt are the options? Lang will probably end up there with Barclay going to guard before it's all said and done.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
9 years ago

It is hard for me to understand where some are coming from on this board. The unbridled optimism leads me to believe many feel we should be winning SB's. We've not been close the last 3 years so it's not TT's fault or MM's fault or anyone's fault but bad injury luck? Is that what the conclusion is? Ted Thompson has built a juggernaut that has only been derailed by injuries? I'm going to guess injuries are the excuse because in another thread when the subject of the Niners owning us for beating us 4 in a row was brought up that was balked at posts were typed that said we weren't owned? We just had bad injury luck.

Uffda, why don't you take some time off, and let the boys have their unbridled optimism until we actually lose a game. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be to Seattle right off the bat. Then you can come back and start pissing on everyone's cheerios. Until then, training camp is about optimism, so kindly STFU with your pessimism for a while. Can you handle that Sweetheart? Thanks, maybe I won't get so many PM's about the new guy being a dick.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Uffda, why don't you take some time off, and let the boys have their unbridled optimism until we actually lose a game. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be to Seattle right off the bat. Then you can come back and start pissing on everyone's cheerios. Until then, training camp is about optimism, so kindly STFU with your pessimism for a while. Can you handle that Sweetheart? Thanks, maybe I won't get so many PM's about the new guy being a dick.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

A person who view things objectively is not a dick. A person who drinks the koolaid...well, you know what the label would be if it wasn't affixed to followers of a football team. There are many people who are "optimistic" tonight who don't know a single thing about football and you couldn't tell them anything different if you tried.

Optimism is great. I am optimistic. I'm one of the few who thinks the Packers can win the opener in Seattle. Optimism is NOT saying STUPID things like...we should've/could've easily won 11-12 games after Aaron went down. We were winless for 5 straight and then eeked out two 1 point wins. That is the extent of what happened after Aaron went down. My objectivity regarding LAST season has nothing to do whatsoever with this year. I'm not a Ted Thompson fan...will never be. I'm not a fan of the idea of rolling at C with what we're rolling with. Drafting a 6th rounder as a backup plan shows you Ted Thompson was concerned Tretter might not be the answer...so to counter the fear Tretter may not be the guy we're relying on a 6th rounder. Makes good sense. I know all of a sudden this draft was about "winning now" Ted Thompson said so so it must be true.

Why would YOU get PM's about me? That's pretty ridiculous first off and second those cowards should be PM'ing me if they have a problem. I recall you enjoying the dust up that seemed to follow my arrival. I guess that only applies to things that don't step on your toes. It's cool when it's others but when it's yours it's just gone too far? Wow.

If you don't like my opinions just think what it must be like to be me? You have ONE guy you think is a "dick"..."plant"..."troll"... there's an entire board full of you guys for me. I handle myself just fine. Why would one guy get to you so much? No one should. You should feel confident in your opinion and if you did I wouldn't bother you at all. The problem is...you don't feel confident and it isn't very much fun trying to feel confident when someone is giving you reason not to be. Does that pretty much cover it?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
This pissing match stops now. If you wanna piss around, go to the back alley. Comment outside of the topic in this thread, you will be suspended. This is about JC Tretter and the amount he has yet to prove.

Will Tretter prove he's got it? If not, what Center's could the Packers get as insurance?
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

This pissing match stops now. If you wanna piss around, go to the back alley. Comment outside of the topic in this thread, you will be suspended. This is about JC Tretter and the amount he has yet to prove.

Will Tretter prove he's got it? If not, what Center's could the Packers get as insurance?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Injury report: WR Jared Abbrederis (knee), who is headed for season-ending injured reserve with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and S Tanner Miller (ankle) sat out. C Corey Linsley (shoulder) returned to practice after missing Friday. DE Jerel Worthy (lower back) and DT Letroy Guion (hamstring) remained on the Non-Football Injury list. Rookie WR Jeff Janis (shingles) remained on the Non-Football Illness list but said he expects to practice on Monday.

Tretter is going to be fine, going against the likes of Raji and Boyd, is only going to help him get ready.

Linsley missed 1 day of practice, he was asked to do a lot of the line adjustments and play calling at Ohio State, he will probably push Tretter, which again will only make him(Tretter) better.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Injury report: WR Jared Abbrederis (knee), who is headed for season-ending injured reserve with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and S Tanner Miller (ankle) sat out. C Corey Linsley (shoulder) returned to practice after missing Friday. DE Jerel Worthy (lower back) and DT Letroy Guion (hamstring) remained on the Non-Football Injury list. Rookie WR Jeff Janis (shingles) remained on the Non-Football Illness list but said he expects to practice on Monday.

Tretter is going to be fine, going against the likes of Raji and Boyd, is only going to help him get ready.

Linsley missed 1 day of practice, he was asked to do a lot of the line adjustments and play calling at Ohio State, he will probably push Tretter, which again will only make him(Tretter) better.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Every player at almost every position has a backup who is pushing them save for maybe kicker or long snapper. Making a guy better because he has a backup isn't really relevant. The relevant fact is...how good is Tretter and is he good enough not to be a weak link in the center of our line?

MD Jennings had a backup who should've made him better, too. That isn't very confidence inspiring to say Tretter is only going to be better because he's being pushed by a 6th round pick. The only thing I'm concerned with is...how good is Tretter? Is he good enough? Raji has been ragdolling him in practice. Long way to go...he's light in the shorts at a tick over 300. The good news is he basically has to measure up to EDS standards and that shouldn't be too awfully hard. If he can't do that, that's a major issue. To let EDS walk in the belief Tretter is better is a GM's call. The trust in Ted Thompson knowing the C position is scary. His big solution last year was to add Jeff Saturday. He was so terrible he had to be replaced at a critical juncture of the season. Ted Thompson obviously added the wrong guy. A guy who had nothing left playing C...Now, the same guy (TT)
is rolling the dice with a guy who is a total unknown and his backup is a rookie. I think that has disaster written all over it but that's just me.
UserPostedImage

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Tretter looked like a center last night. That's all I got from him. Will save any judgements until I get to him in live game action.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

You could throw Atlanta and Dallas in on the other side for balance sake to say they easily could've lost those games.

I hope that is what he meant but that is still "out there" to think we could've or should've won 11 or 12...I would stand by what I said, again, that even last season we would've been fortunate to be 11-5 or 12-4 with Aaron for a full season.

After a 2-2 start, 12-4 would've required going 10-2 the rest of the way. 10-2 with our back up QB? Not with the backups we had last year. Maybe, if we had a Favre/Brunell situation.

We do have the best QB and should be winning championshipS, plural, ...but we don't. Joe Whitt said in an article from today or yesterday that the best team we had was the one that went out in Round 1 at AZ. No defense...again. It's been how many years and it's still the defense. How many picks on D since then? How many times are injuries going to be the excuse before the realization hits that we're really not that good of a team?

As for Tretter...he scares the heck out of me. If he fails we are hosed. Garth Gerhart or a late round rook from Ohio State that is now hurt are the options? Lang will probably end up there with Barclay going to guard before it's all said and done.

Takes a lot of beans to say the Packers were lucky last year. With almost 300 combined games missed due to injury. I would say the bad luck kicked the good luck's ass. You really have to be bashing the Packers pretty hard to call them lucky.

How was the 3rd and 4th string QBs after Brunell? Because that is what we played most of the games with after Rodgers was hurt. That is what you should be comparing it to. How many teams are going to win any games with their 3rd and 4th QBs? Again, you have to be bashing the Packers pretty hard to say the QB situation was a big problem because their 3rd string QB sucked.

I didn't bother reading the rest of our post. Probably just more bashing about how the second best team in the league for the last decade is a massive failure and in need of a total restructure.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Takes a lot of beans to say the Packers were lucky last year. With almost 300 combined games missed due to injury. I would say the bad luck kicked the good luck's ass. You really have to be bashing the Packers pretty hard to call them lucky.

How was the 3rd and 4th string QBs after Brunell? Because that is what we played most of the games with after Rodgers was hurt. That is what you should be comparing it to. How many teams are going to win any games with their 3rd and 4th QBs? Again, you have to be bashing the Packers pretty hard to say the QB situation was a big problem because their 3rd string QB sucked.

I didn't bother reading the rest of our post. Probably just more bashing about how the second best team in the league for the last decade is a massive failure and in need of a total restructure.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Red card. Where is the talk on Tretter above? BTW, Ty Detmer was a 3rd QB and Kurt Warner even deeper on the chart way back in those days, but Warner didn't make the team.

On Tretter...on a team with the injury luck this team has had the plan is to roll out a C who missed almost the entire TC and regular season with an injury. For all intents and purposes he's a rookie, and one who didn't play C in college. That doesn't sound any alarms? Linsley was being talked up early about possibly being able to beat out Tretter because Linsley has actually played the position. Seems dumb to do what we're doing, and like I said about it wouldn't surprise me to see Lang or even Barclay at C before all is said and done. At least those guys have some NFL experience. If it all goes wrong with Tretter, and it very well could, Linsley, a 6th round rook is the next option? Ugh. Just imagine Kevin Dorsey being counted on to be a starting WR ( a 1 or a 2) for us and if he flamed out the other option would be Jeff Janis. That is what we're basically doing at center. That is gambling in it's purest form. Hope it works out for us.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.