porky88
9 years ago
Losing either Nelson or Cobb would be a big blow in the long-term. I value Cobb more because of his age, but the Packers have plenty of cap room to re-sign both of them. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, and Mike Wallace have all signed contracts in the $10 million per year range. Nelson’s certainly worth it if they are, so I don’t blame him (or his agent) for pushing for that big of a number.
dfosterf
9 years ago
We paid Rodgers. Something has to give. Jordy is his favorite target, but I think we got other targets Rodgers could find, and frankly, he throws there too much. He gets it there, and no doubt Jordy catches it, but when you pay what we paid for Rodgers, shit has to give.

Everything is free to us fans. The bitch is, it isn't. Our defense is sucking, we need to get past some very good teams we have not been able to, and we paid Rodgers a significant part of our cap. We are going to lose players.
StarrMax1
9 years ago
Get him signed before he can hit FA next year.

Still early in negotiations, I expect Jordy to get a 4 yr extension, worth 40 mil with 25 mil guaranteed.

Signing an extension will give both sides more options, and probably leave room for Cobb.

The most important guy in any organization is the guy who understands how the salary cap works, not sure who that is in Green Bay, but hopefully him and Ted stay on top of things.

Plenty of money coming off the books in 2015, with the expected 8-10 mil carry over from this year, plenty ofroom to get these deals done.

dfosterf
9 years ago

Get him signed before he can hit FA next year.

Still early in negotiations, I expect Jordy to get a 4 yr extension, worth 40 mil with 25 mil guaranteed.

Signing an extension will give both sides more options, and probably leave room for Cobb.

The most important guy in any organization is the guy who understands how the salary cap works, not sure who that is in Green Bay, but hopefully him and Ted stay on top of things.

Plenty of money coming off the books in 2015, with the expected 8-10 mil carry over from this year, plenty ofroom to get these deals done.

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

I think we all need to re-visit our salary and cap room before we start throwing out projected contracts. I haven't looked this year, perhaps (StarrMax1) did. In case he did, I apologize. If he did not, well...
nerdmann
9 years ago

We paid Rodgers. Something has to give. Jordy is his favorite target, but I think we got other targets Rodgers could find, and frankly, he throws there too much. He gets it there, and no doubt Jordy catches it, but when you pay what we paid for Rodgers, shit has to give.

Everything is free to us fans. The bitch is, it isn't. Our defense is sucking, we need to get past some very good teams we have not been able to, and we paid Rodgers a significant part of our cap. We are going to lose players.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

What will give, is the salary cap.

These Ted Thompson contracts all look like block busters when they're signed. Two years later, they look like budget minimum.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
9 years ago
Jordy has already outperformed both his previous contracts. Pay the guy and think of it as backpay. Nelson should retire a Packer someday.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Don't pay him and let him walk. If Jennings got us a 3rd round comp pick Nelson will do the same. Ted Thompson has a proven track record in drafting WR's.

Originally Posted by: packman82 

Track record or not you can't keep letting your top talent walk and expect to stay competitive at the position. I agree that with Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb to his credit it seems like ted sure knows his WRs but lets see how this years crop turns out before you go labeling Nelson (or anyone else for that matter) expendable.

StarrMax1
9 years ago
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/limit-100/ 

Somebody posted this site awhile back, they seem to keep it updated.

This is what i use to check when and where the money is going.
sschind
9 years ago

Would it not be that if they renegotiate this years 3.5 mil upwards that they could settle on a lower number over the next three years?

I mean if he's going to be paid 3.5 this year without any renegotiating and then 30mil over 3 that comes out to 33.5mil over four years. If they bump him to 8mil now and 8 over the following 3 that's 32million. Surely that would be good enough, eh?

Player contracts are certainly not my strong suit.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I believe that would be an agreeable and allowable route to persue and I could see Nelson agreeing to it but you would have to figure in guaranteed money as well. Say they give him 12 million guaranteed as a SB they would have to count an additional 3 million this year towards the cap for a total of 11 million taking an additional 7.5 million of cap space this season. As with most deals this will come down to guaranteed money. How big of check does Jordy get when he signs his name and how much will the Packers be on the hook for in his final year.

steveishere
9 years ago
http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2015 

According to this right now we are like 14th in total spending on the books for next year. That's without any bad contracts really. We've got our best players like Rodgers, Matthews, Sitton locked down and some players that have fairly high cap numbers for that year like Peppers and Hawk can be cut if needed to save significantly more money due to low dead money. We are in pretty good shape still future-cap wise.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (57m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.