nerdmann
9 years ago

The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

When this team has a losing record, it's due to injuries. Not that they shouldn't be doing something about it, but that's how it is.

And another thing, Ted hired Mike, without whom Aaron would never have developed.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago

no

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Then why in the world do you want TT's plodding approach to stick around when we have franchises like SF and SEA in front of us who are continuing to go for it? You think Aaron is going be Aaron by the time their runs are over?
Ted Thompson is not the kind of GM who is going to move us past SEA and SF anytime soon...that is the concern to me. He is a slow plodding let's see things develop over the years kind of a GM. That's great as long as there aren't teams you need to beat that are already ahead of you and pushing the pedal to the metal while you're in the right line with cruise control set at 55.

We've also benefitted from Minnesota having a carousel of clown coaches and QB's and Detroit being tied down with Schwartz. 2 of 3 teams in the divsion seem to have righted their ships in Chicago and Minnesota...not sure what to make of Detroit. Schwartz was so terrible that as bad as I think Caldwell is he might make them better by default. Our stranglehold on the division is going to be challenged more this year than in recent ones.

How many rings do you expect the Ted Thompson regime to end with? I expect it to be the one we have and that's all. Any competitor sees what goes on in Seattle and SF and wishes his team would go for it like they do. Too little too late I fear for TT. We can celebrate the years of being just good when he's done. I happen to believe Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen. The day we got him I was literally dancing. He was my all time favorite college QB. Never in a million years did I envision us ever getting a chance to get him. We got him. I used to tell my buddies he was going to be better than Favre...they laughed and pretty heartily. He is better than Brett. So much smarter. It sucks to believe like I do that a super special talent like Aaron Rodgers is going to never be given a true superstar to throw to. It upsets me Ted Thompson is so measured and deliberate for long term being good vs. wanting to win a SB. I'd rather swing hard and miss than to just stand at the plate taking pitches hoping for a walk. Ted Thompson is the guy at the plate who might swing when the ball is perfectly in his wheelhouse otherwise he's hoping the pitcher will miss 4 times and he can get on base. That is his approach to winning a championship. He ain't swinging the bat he will hope that the power hitter who comes up after him can hit enough homeruns to carry the day. Rodgers can't always hit it out of the park. He did in 2010 but to rely on that is beyond dumb.

Go for it Green Bay. Go for it. We are defined by our championships not our playoff appearances. We should NEVER be satisfied by winning the division and losing in the playoffs.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
9 years ago

When this team has a losing record, it's due to injuries. Not that they shouldn't be doing something about it, but that's how it is.

And another thing, Ted hired Mike, without whom Aaron would never have developed.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What? Aaron would've never developed without MM? Just like Alex Smith developed and thrived under MM? Yes, it was one year but SF under MM's OC stewardship finished 32nd, DEAD LAST, with Mike McCarthy coordinating the O with his QB of choice, Alex Smith. Don't forget that Mike McCarthy wanted Alex Smith in SF not Aaron Rodgers. Now, you want to say Aaron's success is because of Mike? I couldn't disagree anymore strongly with that statement of opinion.

Should Dom Capers be back for another chance? No...he should've been tossed after Kapernick ran through us like a sandlot football game. He gets a whole offseason to prepare to stop the Niners and we give up 200+ to Anquan Boldin who the Ravens let go for a 6th rounder and over 30 points. Our O plays well enough that day to win but again...we can not stop the Niners. So, now he's back... AGAIN? Are you freaking kidding me? Do you want to lose? I'm sure we'll get it cleaned right up and adjust the pad level and be much better this season. Maybe, this time, we'll lose by only 1 or in OT.

There is never a sense of urgency with TT...it's always laissez faire...let's just see what happens, I like the guys I've got. Meanwhile, Seattle don't like the guys the've got and are constantly trying to one up each other vs. SF. There is a passion between the Niners and Seahawks that is driving each to be better. What is driving us? Can you even put your finger on it? I don't see it or feel it at all. Just let's hope the guys we've got develop like every other franchise in the NFL does and then add a 34 year old and position switch him to solve things. Lose Finley, lose Jones, lose Jennings, and Driver the years before. We'll add Boykin, Richard Rodgers, Davante Adams, Abby and Janis to replace them. Oh, we might lose Randall or Jordy so let's just draft a bunch of guys and hope one of them can be as good as one of them if they go. Seattle would say... F that approach...let's get a guy who changes games. Give us Percy because drafting later in Round 1 the odds we hit on a guy as good as Percy is near zero. Easy decision. No reason to be in love with a draft pick when you can get a guy who is proven. Oh, but not in Green Bay. Let's hold our first so we can get a Justin Harrell ... we have a 10% chance of getitng a star. I just love those odds. We don't want the profits down any more than they already are...we can fill the stadium by being good. Life is good just being good. Man... it sucks for those of us that hate losing as much as we like winning. Good sucks. GREAT isn't even the goal but most of you have bought it at GOOD. THE BEST is the goal. Oh, but not everyone can be the best it's so hard. Right. It is but that is what I wish for myself and for this franchise.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Aaaaah too many words! Love the passion, but gee whiz. 😛
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
StarrMax1
9 years ago
Damn am i really dissapointed, come back here expect SOLID EVIDENCE that Ted Thompson dcesn't deserve an extension, and all I see the the same old ramblings.

I guess comparing Ted Thompson to Mike Sherman is all you have?

Another major fail on your part uddfa when it comes to trying to prove to everyone here that your opinion is the only one that's right.

Not that it has anything to do with the subject, but I thought Mike Sherman was a very good HC, he got the raw deal of The Packers upper Management not being prepared for Wolf deciding to retire.

No 1 man can be GM/HC in the post Free Agency era of The NFL.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself, you have made NO solid argument and are actually absloutley wrong about The Packers needing Jimmy Graham for 2 1st round picks.

Also you are completely wrong about Ted Thompson not deserving an extension.

You have offered no viable evidence in either case.

Still it would be nice to read that 9 year study of Ted Thompson I asked you for, and the quotes from the "talking head experts".

Still waiting on them.
steveishere
9 years ago
Lol for every team that "goes for it" and has success there's 3 or 4 others that "went for it" and completely sucked ass. Like I said if we can land this hypothetical GM that will guarantee us 2 or 3 Superbowls then I'm fine with that.
DakotaT
9 years ago
I can't believe we're actually talking about Mike Sherman, king of beating the weak sisters of the league, and then getting his ass beat down in the playoffs. Favre played his most undisciplined ball since his rookie season as well. He never even sniffed an NFC championship game and Uncle Ted has been there twice and went on to get a Lombardi back to Green Bay.

What an idiotic thread. Jesus Christ Uffda, don't be such a dumbass int he future.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

What an idiotic thread. Jesus Christ Uffda, don't be such a dumbass int he future.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Thank you, this makes all the efforts of getting more folks to contribute so much easier when people like you irrationally insult them for starting a topic.

Please step off your high horse, thank you kindly.

I can't believe we're actually talking about Mike Sherman, king of beating the weak sisters of the league, and then getting his ass beat down in the playoffs. Favre played his most undisciplined ball since his rookie season as well. He never even sniffed an NFC championship game and Uncle Ted has been there twice and went on to get a Lombardi back to Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Sherman and McCarthy are doing basically the same thing. Do great during the regular season, get your ass handed to you in the playoffs.

Why does Thompson get a pass, but Sherman doesn't?

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I am definitely not giving Thompson a pass. He hasn't been perfect. I would never say that. But I do believe he is a good GM with a draft and develop philosophy I believe in and respect.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
warhawk
9 years ago

"BTW, Ted Thompson was the GM the year we went 4-12, not Mike Sherman. Anyone who is honest with themselves knows Ted Thompson set it up for the Packers to suck so he could justify blowing out Sherman and that's exactly what he did right after the season."

Really? So Ted Thompson EXTENDED Sherman's contract before that season and then "set him up" to fire him.

Makes all the sense in the world doesn't it?

Fact. Mike Sherman never touched another NFL football field as a HC or GM after leaving GB.

Ted Thompson has no worries about his job. He wants to be Green Bay's GM. If they don't want him MANY teams would jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat. He wouldn't last three days unemployed.
"The train is leaving the station."