Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online wpr  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 8:41:37 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Quote:
Chuck Noll, the Hall of Fame coach who won a record four Super Bowl titles with the Pittsburgh Steelers, died Friday night at his home. He was 82.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner said Noll died of natural causes.

Noll transformed the Steelers from a long-standing joke into one of the NFL's pre-eminent powers, becoming the only coach to win four Super Bowls. He was a demanding figure who did not make close friends with his players, yet was a successful and motivating leader.

The Steelers won the four Super Bowls over six seasons (1974, 1975, 1978 and 1979), an unprecedented run that made Pittsburgh one of the NFL's marquee franchises, one that breathed life into a struggling, blue-collar city.

link

His Steelers were too good so I didn't like him very much when I was young. The one thing they had going for them was they kept beating the Cowpokes.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 9:03:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

My dad is a huge Steelers fan. I guess when Chuck Noll first addressed the team when he was hired, he told them he knew why the reason they weren't winning. There was silence in the room. And then said something like "because half of you aren't any good and by tomorrow you won't be with the team, i have to get replace most of you". I don't know word for word, but that was the jist. If true, that is awesome and sure wish we had that kind of blunt wording in todays game. We can't though because someone would file a lawsuit claiming they were bullied or something.

Something I heard from Jack Lamberts lips was that if you need to be motivated to play this game, you shouldn't be playing. Because the act of stepping onto the field should be enough motivation. Apparently that was originated by Chuck Noll who told the team he wasn't a motivator and if they needed motivation to play the game they should leave.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 6/16/2014(UTC)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 4:02:33 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 52
Applause Received: 157

It was Noll who brought steroids to the NFL after Sid Gillman had used them for his (Surprise! ver) very successful teams in SD while Noll was an assistant there.

He is to be given much credit for inventing what would eventually become the Tampa 2 defense, but I also think there was a reason he never got any serious offers for coaching jobs after he was done in Pitt.

He managed as dramatic turnaround as any franchise ever had, maybe the greatest draft ever in `974, but for me there will always be a cloud over his reputation.

All that said, of course, he was a big part of the Rooney family and my prayers go out to his family, friends and fans.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Rss Feed