play2win
9 years ago

So, Boykin wasn't drafted because of his 40 time? I didn't get a clear read on that simple question. The answer is... YES, Boykin didn't get drafted because of his 40 time DESPITE all of his other very attractive qualities as a player. I'm not making the 40 time any more important than what the guys who make decisions in the NFL do. Superior? LOL. Reality. You can live there or not there it isn't a superior thing at all.

P2w... why do you incessantly try to make a point that isn't valid? Their 40 times are not .05 apart. Finley ran in the 4.6 range during his pro day. Rodgers ran 4.8/9 at his.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Both of my numbers used were official NFL Combine results.

Finley: 4.83
Rodgers: 4.87

Look them up yourself. But, now you want to pick and choose measurements from an uneven playing field. One from a pro day, another from a worst recorded measurement in a single run, which is always disregarded at the Combine.

I'm willing to let the play do the talking from here on out.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Yeah play2win, that's what I thought. Ignore my response altogether. You know I got you!!!! 😛
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

So, Boykin wasn't drafted because of his 40 time? I didn't get a clear read on that simple question. The answer is... YES, Boykin didn't get drafted because of his 40 time DESPITE all of his other very attractive qualities as a player. I'm not making the 40 time any more important than what the guys who make decisions in the NFL do. Superior? LOL. Reality. You can live there or not there it isn't a superior thing at all.

P2w... why do you incessantly try to make a point that isn't valid? Their 40 times are not .05 apart. Finley ran in the 4.6 range during his pro day. Rodgers ran 4.8/9 at his.

EDIT: Here's a nice piece on Boykin and his lack of speed and other qualities.

Boykin 

Show me something saying Boykin was projected to be a high draft pick before his combine. As far as I've been able to tell he was never seen as a a great prospect anyways. Just because you are assuming it was because of his 40 time doesn't make it true. How come Jarvis Landry got drafted in the 2nd round? Either way the point is he's proven he can play in the NFL and that a slow 40 time didn't mean that "he can't run"
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Both of my numbers used were official NFL Combine results.

Finley: 4.83
Rodgers: 4.87

Look them up yourself. But, now you want to pick and choose measurements from an uneven playing field. One from a pro day, another from a worst recorded measurement in a single run, which is always disregarded at the Combine.

I'm willing to let the play do the talking from here on out.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Again, disingenuous. Finley and Rodgers both appeared at the combine and a PRO DAY. You, conveniently, have left off Finley and Rodgers performances at their pro day and want to try and make your point based of incomplete data. Finley was 4.82. I don't want you shorting him a hundreth of a second.

I've said it multiple times only to be ignored, again, I'm sure... Finley ran in 4.6 range at pro day. Rodgers ran 4.8 and 4.9 at his proday. Finley is a good 2-3 hundredths faster. That gives you a better picture of their times.

It's like comparing a guy who runs 4.3 to a guy who runs 4.5 or 4.6 but you keep saying they had similar speed.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
9 years ago

Show me something saying Boykin was projected to be a high draft pick before his combine. As far as I've been able to tell he was never seen as a a great prospect anyways. Just because you are assuming it was because of his 40 time doesn't make it true. How come Jarvis Landry got drafted in the 2nd round? Either way the point is he's proven he can play in the NFL and that a slow 40 time didn't mean that "he can't run"

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Boykin set records at Va Tech. He wasn't drafted because of his 40 time.

This is how Boykin plans to compensate for that 4.74 time in the 40 at the NFL scouting combine, the one time that — fair or unfair — is a major reason Boykin went undrafted in 2012.

Boykin's speed cost him 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

This portion gently irked me. What makes you think you know how well his hands are going to be in the NFL? Because his college stats were better than Finley's NFL stats? We all get tired of the same old "scripted" answers from players, but when someone like Finley speaks his mind, every on field mistake he makes gets amplified to the point where we're going to disrespect his talent by saying a ROOKIE has better hands when said ROOKIE hasn't even stepped onto a NFL field against NFL competition?

I disagree with that premise.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What? That you were gently irked that I said something as bombastic as stating Richard Rodgers has far better hands? After seeing him in person twice in 11 on 11s, going against our LBs and DBs?

Say what you will about OTAs, but when they go 11 on 11 all balls are contested if the defender is able. Rodgers hasn't had a single drop through two weeks plus of OTAs. The competition is quite fierce.

I think he has far better hands than Finley. Big deal. I don't know why that should put anyone's nose out of joint, really. It is my own opinion after watching him pretty closely.

I know full well he is a rookie and has yet to go up against NFL competition in a live game. I made the statement and am willing to stand by it for when those days come.

Was Finley touted as having close to the best hands within his draft class at TE? I know Rodgers was...
play2win
9 years ago

Again, disingenuous. Finley and Rodgers both appeared at the combine and a PRO DAY. You, conveniently, have left off Finley and Rodgers performances at their pro day and want to try and make your point based of incomplete data. Finley was 4.82. I don't want you shorting him a hundreth of a second.

I've said it multiple times only to be ignored, again, I'm sure... Finley ran in 4.6 range at pro day. Rodgers ran 4.8 and 4.9 at his proday. Finley is a good 2-3 hundredths faster. That gives you a better picture of their times.

It's like comparing a guy who runs 4.3 to a guy who runs 4.5 or 4.6 but you keep saying they had similar speed.

It's a difference of tents, not hundredths. And, as I posted regarding how they arrive at these measurements, hand start times are regarded as being off by as many as two tents of a second, and that doesn't take into account hand clocked finishes, which can be off by as much. Do you know with certainty the measuring technique from Finley's pro day?

There is nothing disingenuous about it. The measurements are clearly deemed subjective, and therefore should not carry the weight many fans wish to project onto them, like yourself.
steveishere
9 years ago

Boykin set records at Va Tech. He wasn't drafted because of his 40 time.

Boykin's speed cost him 

lol that doesn't mean much, he never even got over 850 yards for a single season. VT obviously didn't have very impressive records to break. He may have fell partly because of his 40 time but he didn't have far to fall. You keep ignoring the fact that his 40 time didn't mean anything once he got pads on in the NFL
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I haven't ignored what Boykin has done in the NFL...anywhere. This was about Rodgers, initially, and his ability to do what Finley did. Finley caught 6 passes as a rook. I hope Rodgers does better.

BTW, Finley's hands were touted as "natural" in his draft bio. I couldn't say where they rated vs other prospects because that's not a measurement at a pro day or combine.

LOL doesn't mean much? We drafted Antonio Freeman in the 3rd round. This kid had better stats. He just had terrible speed. I don't know why you just won't admit that? Why? 4.74 was the 2nd worst a WR ran in 4 years of measuring 40's the year Jarrett ran his.

I like Boykin a bunch. Nice player. He would be even better if he was faster. Given a choice between a player having a faster 40 time or slower nobody is choosing the slower one. I mean that for a single player. If you could have Boykin at 4.7 or 4.4...nobody is saying, hey, gimme the version that runs 4.7.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
9 years ago

I haven't ignored what Boykin has done in the NFL...anywhere. This was about Rodgers, initially, and his ability to do what Finley did. Finley caught 6 passes as a rook. I hope Rodgers does better.

BTW, Finley's hands were touted as "natural" in his draft bio. I couldn't say where they rated vs other prospects because that's not a measurement at a pro day or combine.

LOL doesn't mean much? We drafted Antonio Freeman in the 3rd round. This kid had better stats. He just had terrible speed. I don't know why you just won't admit that? Why? 4.74 was the 2nd worst a WR ran in 4 years of measuring 40's the year Jarrett ran his.

I like Boykin a bunch. Nice player. He would be even better if he was faster. Given a choice between a player having a faster 40 time or slower nobody is choosing the slower one. I mean that for a single player. If you could have Boykin at 4.7 or 4.4...nobody is saying, hey, gimme the version that runs 4.7.

ha, who was the guy that beat all of Greg Jennings college records Jamarko Simmons? Remember him?

Boykin doesn't have terrible speed though he had a terrible 40 yard dash time, his speed is perfectly fine for an NFL WR.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.