uffda udfa
9 years ago

Talk of "no speed" regarding Richard Rodgers is laughable in comparing him to Jermichael Finley.

Finley's measured 40 time at the Combine: 4.82
Rodgers' measured 40 time at the Combine: 4.87

Richard Rodgers has far better hands, was touted as an exceptional cut blocker pre-draft, has nearly identical size to Finley, and is a proven route runner.

Have people forgotten Finley's desire to freelance on routes? How many times were he and Aaron Rodgers not on the same page? All the BS with special Saturday night meetings prior to game day...

I agree with you that the staff probably grew very tired of the high drop rates. DD was also on par with Finley for drops.

After seeing Richard Rodgers working on field even in OTAs setting, it is clear that he has the potential to be very, very good. He could easily blow away Finley as a threat to opposing defenses from my own perspective. He won't be a veiled threat either, as he will deliver by being in the right position in a route and finishing plays. Just wait till you see him turn the ball upfield after the catch. Trust me, you'll love it.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

It isn't laughable at all...you're laughing over a .5 second difference when it's already north of 4.8. I had to put that in there because you are comparing their combine times where Finley ran very poorly. see this from bleacherreport.com:

Several athletes have disappointed when running the 40-yard dash, with their on-field speed not showing on the track. Jermichael Finley, one of the NFL's fastest and most dynamic tight ends, ran just a 4.82 at the 2008 combine.

Rodgers runs like a DE not a TE. Let's hope his combine time was similar to Finley's situation but it sure doesn't sound like it. Finley ran high 4.6 in the hand time which I don't trust. Rodgers ran 4.8 and 4.9 during his pro day. Comparing Finley and Rodgers by only using their combine times paints an incomplete and inaccurate picture of their true speed. Plus, it neglects a .5 second differential that pushes close to 4.9 on digital timing. Show me a big time TE who ran 4.9.

The irony is this is Jermichael Finley's hands were touted as "natural" coming out of Texas. He looked anything but natural over the last couple of years in Green Bay. Rodgers gets the same type of love when it comes to hands but his speed is noted as "pedestrian" and "average". I know some have already gone on record as saying Rodgers is better than Finley but the guy can't run.

I'm hopeful Rodgers is, at least, a little faster than how he timed because when you run 4.9 at a pro day there is no other thing to say about it other than it's brutal. Chris Borland could keep up with this guy.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StarrMax1
9 years ago

It isn't laughable at all...you're laughing over a .5 second difference when it's already north of 4.8. I had to put that in there because you are comparing their combine times where Finley ran very poorly. see this from bleacherreport.com:

Several athletes have disappointed when running the 40-yard dash, with their on-field speed not showing on the track. Jermichael Finley, one of the NFL's fastest and most dynamic tight ends, ran just a 4.82 at the 2008 combine.

Rodgers runs like a DE not a TE. Let's hope his combine time was similar to Finley's situation but it sure doesn't sound like it. Finley ran high 4.6 in the hand time which I don't trust. Rodgers ran 4.8 and 4.9 during his pro day. Comparing Finley and Rodgers by only using their combine times paints an incomplete and inaccurate picture of their true speed. Plus, it neglects a .5 second differential that pushes close to 4.9 on digital timing. Show me a big time TE who ran 4.9.

The irony is this is Jermichael Finley's hands were touted as "natural" coming out of Texas. He looked anything but natural over the last couple of years in Green Bay. Rodgers gets the same type of love when it comes to hands but his speed is noted as "pedestrian" and "average". I know some have already gone on record as saying Rodgers is better than Finley but the guy can't run.

I'm hopeful Rodgers is, at least, a little faster than how he timed because when you run 4.9 at a pro day there is no other thing to say about it other than it's brutal. Chris Borland could keep up with this guy.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

The difference between 4.82 and 4.87 is not .5, it is .05.

.5 is 1/2 second, .05 is 5 one-hundreths of a second.

Now that is a big differenence.

These combines gets these players drafted, there is a huge difference in combine speed and football speed.

I'm just gonna let this thing play out.

Bottom line the guys that succeed are just plain "Football Players".
Their talent will show up when the pads go on.

uffda udfa
9 years ago
Thank you for the decimal correction... not sure what I was thinking there.

I would agree that there is a difference between football speed and timed speed but when a guy like Rodgers holds a pro day to improve on his poor 40 time and runs one that nets him 4.94...that is freaking terrible. It was interesting trying to track down Rodgers pro day 40 time. It was so bad the Cal articles didn't even mention his number, they just focused on how great he looked running routes and catching the football. When I was finally able to track down the numbers I saw exactly why those articles didn't mention his 40 time. It was so awful you didn't want that mentioned. So, not only did Richard Rodgers run poorly at the combine he ran poorly at his pro day which is typically where your 40 time drops by a few tenths. His did not. His later round grade by some draftniks was warranted based on speed alone despite what our QB Rodgers has stated about him. Khyri Thornton is close to being able to take him in a footrace.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago
Finley may haved timed that well at the combine, but he doesn't have that same "freak" athleticism anymore, and hasn't for at least two years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago
Lol who cares if he looks good at actual football lets worry about what he timed running in a straight line. 40 yard dash times are really extremely overrated. Any time I've actually watched him play I never got the impression he looked slow so I don't really care if he ran a 6.0 40 yards dash. His success or failure as a TE is going to come if he can learn to run smooth routes, have soft hands, and block not whether he could have gotten another .1 second on his 40 yard dash time in shorts and a t-shirt.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Lol who cares if he looks good at actual football lets worry about what he timed running in a straight line. 40 yard dash times are really extremely overrated. Any time I've actually watched him play I never got the impression he looked slow so I don't really care if he ran a 6.0 40 yards dash. His success or failure as a TE is going to come if he can learn to run smooth routes, have soft hands, and block not whether he could have gotten another .1 second on his 40 yard dash time in shorts and a t-shirt.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'm not sure why you mock a person's 40 time? Yes, there are examples of guys in the NFL who have proven to be excellent players despite a poor 40 time. However, when it comes to drafting a player 40 time is VERY important. It is one of the main variables scouts look at.

If he ran 4.7 then i wouldn't be so worried even though 4.7 isn't fast... he ran 4.94 at his pro day for one of his times. You can't tell me that isn't a reason for concern, or are you? You did say you didn't care if he ran 6.0, so I guess you really don't think it matters. I will completely disagree with you on that. One bad 40 time...not a problem...3 bad 40's...that's a bad trend unless he was injured.

Jarrett Boykin ran 4.74... horrible for a WR. I did find where he ran 4.57 and 4.62. Where was Boykin drafted? Right, he wasn't. Why? He couldn't run. Rodgers isn't really dissimilar and why he was a shocker as a 3rd rounder. Poor speed.

UserPostedImage

nerdmann
9 years ago

I'm not sure why you mock a person's 40 time? Yes, there are examples of guys in the NFL who have proven to be excellent players despite a poor 40 time. However, when it comes to drafting a player 40 time is VERY important. It is one of the main variables scouts look at.

If he ran 4.7 then i wouldn't be so worried even though 4.7 isn't fast... he ran 4.94 at his pro day for one of his times. You can't tell me that isn't a reason for concern, or are you? You did say you didn't care if he ran 6.0, so I guess you really don't think it matters. I will completely disagree with you on that. One bad 40 time...not a problem...3 bad 40's...that's a bad trend unless he was injured.

Jarrett Boykin ran 4.74... horrible for a WR. I did find where he ran 4.57 and 4.62. Where was Boykin drafted? Right, he wasn't. Why? He couldn't run. Rodgers isn't really dissimilar and why he was a shocker as a 3rd rounder. Poor speed.

Poor speed for a WR.

TEs are bigger dudes. They're not expected to be quite a fast as the smaller guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
9 years ago

And you decide to use Boykin as an example to try to support your argument?

Gee. I guess he sucks at the NFL level. Wow.

Never mind Richard Rodgers ran his 40 weighing a good 25lbs more than Finley...

uffda udfa
9 years ago

And you decide to use Boykin as an example to try to support your argument?

Gee. I guess he sucks at the NFL level. Wow.

Never mind Richard Rodgers ran his 40 weighing a good 25lbs more than Finley...

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Yes, I used Boykin as an example on the other side of things...however, anyone who watches Bokyin knows he has poor speed. Plus, his example is germane in that he was a prolific WR in college for Va Tech but was NOT drafted. Why?... poor speed. Don't you understand that? The point is he was undrafted because he couldn't run.

Rodgers was a reach based on speed. A TE who runs 4.8/4.9 like he did doesn't get taken in the 3rd round.

Gimme Lyerla... Ran 4.61 digitally.

Rodgers may be able to use his size but he won't be a guy getting a lot of separation with his speed.

Someone post up a star TE who ran 4.8+ and didn't run any better at his pro day. Best of luck.

His speed is comparable to Heath Miller (4.79) without the blocking ability. He is nowhere near the same league, speed wise, as guys like Graham, Davis, Cameron, Julius Thomas, Jordan Reed, Lyerla, Ebron, etc.

If he can be a solid contributor like a Heath Miller that would be fantastic. Heath Miller was a former 1st rounder who had/has a nice career with Big Ben. Miller doesn't create mismatches or change games but is nice TE. I would guess that's Rodgers ceiling.

UserPostedImage

play2win
9 years ago
Fixating again on 40 times seems foolish when his official 40 was only .05 seconds off of Finley's.

Will Rodgers (no pun) alter defenses like Finley. I doubt it. No speed.

You clearly are calling Finley the standard, and negating Rodgers over what exactly?

.05 seconds...

That's crazy.

You know what? I think it is a little early to be saying with any degree of certainty how good or bad these guys are going to be in the NFL.

Rodgers could stand to add some strength up top to help him as a blocker. That is readily apparent, and we really haven't seen him block yet.

Lyerla hasn't really been involved steadily in the game of football since 2012.

But, both players look promising. Rodgers for his sure hands (hasn't dropped a ball through 2 OTAs sessions) and Lyerla for his raw physical traits and what look to be very natural abilities at the position.

We all know most rookies need about a year or more to fully develop physically to the NFL level of play.

From the looks of things very early on, I believe both players could prove to be better talents than Jermichael Finley, and that is only an opinion after seeing two live practices. For what that is worth. I believe we have reason to be encouraged with both players moving forward.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (4h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (5h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (5h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (21h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.