Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 3:34:33 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 100

Packers.com's Cliff Christl did a nice retrospective piece on: WHO ARE THE GREATEST PACKERS WHO NEVER WERE?

He listed 5 guys. I only recall seeing two of them... Eddie Lee Ivery and Lynn Dickey. As Christl said, both would've been greats but Lynn Dickey wasn't too shabby even as a parking meter in the pocket.

There have been many guys over the years I've felt cheated out of seeing blossom with the Packers over the years.

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid... Ellis and Ivery side by side in the Packers backfield. Pure cheese, but I was living in Wisconsin and but a wee lad.

Tim Lewis, Jermichael Finley, Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler(wanted all the years we could get), Justin Harrell, Mark D'Onofrio, Robbie Bosco, Jeremy Thompson, Desmond Bishop are just some of the names that come to mind. I would've added Sherrod but hoping we finally get a chance at seeing him this season.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 5:11:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 569

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Packers.com's Cliff Christl did a nice retrospective piece on: WHO ARE THE GREATEST PACKERS WHO NEVER WERE?

He listed 5 guys. I only recall seeing two of them... Eddie Lee Ivery and Lynn Dickey. As Christl said, both would've been greats but Lynn Dickey wasn't too shabby even as a parking meter in the pocket.

There have been many guys over the years I've felt cheated out of seeing blossom with the Packers over the years.

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid... Ellis and Ivery side by side in the Packers backfield. Pure cheese, but I was living in Wisconsin and but a wee lad.

Tim Lewis, Jermichael Finley, Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler(wanted all the years we could get), Justin Harrell, Mark D'Onofrio, Robbie Bosco, Jeremy Thompson, Desmond Bishop are just some of the names that come to mind. I would've added Sherrod but hoping we finally get a chance at seeing him this season.

I remember Mark D'Onofrio. Tore his hammy. Second rounder.

I'd have to say Eddie Lee Ivery, although he did have a pretty good career. Tim Lewis, Sterling Sharpe. Terrence Murphy was lost before he did anything. With him, we didn't even know what we missed.

I was REALLY excited about Robbie Bosco as a kid. But we'd have never had him if he hadn't already shredded his shoulder. I think we got him in the third. Dude dislocated his shoulder in college, kept playing all year with it. At QB. Great player, just didn't have an arm left by the time we got him.

Gerry Berry was another one with the neck thing. He was another Darren Sharper, as far as skill set.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline mi_keys  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 5:42:25 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 338

Terrence Murphy

Terrence Murphy was one that I remember really getting excited about only for it to come crashing to an end on that neck injury/discovery of spinal stenosis in Carolina.

I'm pretty sure the week before he had scored his first NFL touchdown only to have it called back on some bullshit penalty; I think it was illegal man down field on Tauscher.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 5:47:59 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

Definitely Eddie Lee Ivery.

He was something special.

I admire him also for making a career despite the killer injury.

(And, though he's not a Packer, Gale Sayers. I'm convinced that, had he not blown out the knee, he would have been the greatest ever.)
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 6/6/2014(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 6:02:31 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 338

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid...

This it?
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa on 6/6/2014(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 6:37:02 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 366

Sterling Sharpe was our number one highlight for 28 friggin' years. (This is known as the "drought") He was AWESOME, imo.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

OlHoss1884 on 6/6/2014(UTC)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 7:39:25 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 140

Sterling Sharpe may still make the HOF depite the shortened career...had he not gotten hurt he would have ended up with Rice-Like numbers.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Jacob  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 8:40:00 PM(UTC)
Jacob

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 3

I dont know, I think nick collins was shaping out to be pretty beastly....kind of miss him.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 6/7/2014(UTC), DakotaT on 6/8/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:01:45 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Sterling Sharpe may still make the HOF depite the shortened career...had he not gotten hurt he would have ended up with Rice-Like numbers.

Sadly, for Sterling's sake, he was known as a first class prick so the odds he's voted in aren't real strong. That shouldn't play a role in voting, but it does.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:08:03 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 249

For me it's Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler and Terrence Murphy the most... Nick Collins probably should be there as well, but I don't know... I guess I'm just at peace with that one for some strange reason. I think Sharpe, Butler and Collins could of become locks for the NFL HOF, but aren't because of their injuries.

Murphy is a guy I barely ever hear about because Jennings was able to come in and play with away, which made people forget about Murphy.... but when Murphy came in, he seemed extremely raw talent... I think it would of taken him at least 3 years to get everything down and I might even guess they full break out might not come until year four... but his raw physical potential... it was a lot higher than any of these other WRs we have gotten, higher than Jennings, Nelson and Cobb. I felt like the kid had a ton of potential, if he was a hard worker and stayed out of trouble he was a lock for being a future #1 no questions asked type WR and feel like that was all taken away from the Packers.

I don't know I kind of disagree with Jermichael Finley and Jeremy Thompson being on this list... I guess Finley the first time because he was amazing before his first injury, but he also had a season where he was mentally off, and wasn't on the same page with Rodgers and other off the field drama stuff, so I guess I feel like it wasn't all injury with him.

Thompson, when healthy, had amazing movement skills for his size... and looked like an all star in shorts and then disappeared when the pads came on... I think that was simply not being mentally physical/tough... and injury did take him, but even if he stayed healthy, I'm not sure he would of become more than a ST/back-up guy.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:11:45 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 569

I was high on Jeremy Thompson. I thought he would have been a very good OLB for the new Capers system. Never proved it though.

As for Butler, he was great, but his career wasn't shortened appreciably. He was already getting up there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Dulak  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 5:40:39 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I was high on Jeremy Thompson. I thought he would have been a very good OLB for the new Capers system. Never proved it though.

As for Butler, he was great, but his career wasn't shortened appreciably. He was already getting up there.

ya I remember thompson also = never got the chance ... lump him collins and now finley into the neck injury - writing them off and making money
nerdmann on 6/7/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 6:10:53 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 790

I really miss Bishop. For a couple years there if we needed a big play or a big stop the guy was always there. He's as much the reason we won the Superbowl as anyone else on that team. Even the years we had a bad D he never let up like the players did last year. Dude was always 100%. He's about the only guy on either side of the ball who came to play against the Giants in the 2011 playoffs. Funny thing is he's a FA but I think that hamstring injury basically ended his career.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 6:37:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,983

Javon Walker. I think quite a few of us do not appreciate the true talent that kid had. Favre recognized it and said he was the best WR except Sharpe.

The injury, plus (this is speculation on my end) having an agent ruining his mind is what ruined his career with the Packers. Then when he was traded to the Broncos he was inches away from a tragedy and i think that pretty much says it all for him.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
uffda udfa on 6/7/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 6/7/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:16:19 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Javon Walker is a good one... He was mega talented but he was dumb as gum. A wonderlic 7...and I happened to cross his path long ago and had a conversation with him. What a nice but not real bright guy.

I do think that is right on...the best we've had since Sharpe.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed